Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Gary Ablett Jr
2. Chris Judd
Judd's peak was incredible but Ablett's consistency as one of, if not the best in the game for over a decade (and a very handy player either side of it - could've been a HoF small forward if he never went into the middle) gives him the edge - but I do have the two closer than most would.
3. Lance Franklin
4. Nick Riewoldt
Best FF and CHF next up, such important positions and these guys during their peaks were night and day better than what we have now.
5. Adam Goodes
6. Matthew Pavlich
Versatility supreme. Two Brownlows and a flag for Goodes gives him the edge, but Pav carried those Freo teams most of his career - deserved a flag.
7. Dustin Martin
LOL at people who even have him top 5, let alone higher. If you take the top dozen seasons between Ablett and Dusty you have 2017 Martin and 11 from GAJ.
8. Matthew Lloyd
I'm bias because he was my favourite player as a kid, and I initially excluded him for playing too much footy pre-2000, but he still had almost 700 goals this century - and it would've been much more if it wasn't for the impact of Matthew Knights and that 2006 hamstring. But hey, at least I'm not bias enough to put my favourite player first above some of the greatest of all time.
9. Joel Selwood
10. Matthew Scarlett
I swear I haven't been having two similar players/stories consecutively on purpose! Decorated Geelong guns, Selwood deserved a couple of Brownlows imho. Scarlett the best defender of his generation.
Cox, Cousins, Hodge, Fyfe, Pendlebury, Black, Fevola, Brown, Sandilands, Tredrea, Brown, Mitchell, Jack Riewoldt, Dangerfield, Gawn next up - had the first five in my top 10 at some point editing this. Wouldn't argue with any of them being in the latter half of somebody's top 10.

Hird, Bucks, McLeod, Voss, Richo etc are in that top 10 on quality but played too much pre-2000 for my liking.

I don’t think many people would agree with your 4,5,6. That’s why people put Dusty in the top 5.

Now why would Lunchy show bias to Richmond? He’s a blues supporter. Oh no, that’s right - he now identifies as a Richmond fan.

I’m sure there’s an amusing anecdote around how that occurred.

Lunchy?

Yes? What's up? I'm having lunch.

4. Nick Riewoldt
Best FF and CHF next up, such important positions and these guys during their peaks were night and day better than what we have now.

I'm obviously biased, but I think there is a lot of Vic centralism on this call. I'd say Tredrea with 4x AA (01,02,03,04) and being a premiership captain adds weight to his legacy. As well as being an AFL Coaches association award winner.

For the record, I don't think Tredders is 4th best player since 2000, but I don't think Riewoldt is either. And if Riewoldt is in the conversation, then Tredders should be too.

Anyway, that's my top 4. So what's yours? Maybe you have a top 5? Do you agree/disagree with the article in terms of the ranking (top 10).

The key question here to you is - are you looking at their absolute best, or are you looking at consistency over time.

Pendlebury is a great example. I don't think he's ever been in the top 5 players in the league over his career for an extended period of time. But he's probably been top 30 for a very very long time. Does that get him in over someone that was incredible but didn't do it for a long long time?

The key question here to you is - are you looking at their absolute best, or are you looking at consistency over time.

Pendlebury is a great example. I don't think he's ever been in the top 5 players in the league over his career for an extended period of time. But he's probably been top 30 for a very very long time. Does that get him in over someone that was incredible but didn't do it for a long long time?

In some people's list, they'd have Pendlebury in their top 5 or top 10 for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty was a big game player, but his absolute peak didn't go as long as the others. 4 AAs is excellent, but a bit less than the others he's compared to in this list.

I think there's a clear top 3 with GAJ Judd Buddy.

Dusty certainly is in the mix for 4th, but I'd throw a blanket over Pendles, Dusty and Hodge. They're 4th-6th, each with different strengths.

So far there's only 2 players in the VFL/AFL to play 300+ games, play in a Premiership and win a Brownlow medal: Jimmy Bartel and Simon Black. Soon it will be 3 players, Dusty will join them.

Top 10 is a hard ask, there's been many good players since though if I had to pick it would involve Gary Ablett Jr, Lance Franklin, Dustin Martin, Chris Judd, Matthew Scarlett, Nick Riewoldt, Simon Black, Jimmy Bartel, Matthew Pavlich and Michael Voss.

Great list provided by The Roar.

I've always said that GAJ, Buddy and Judd pick themselves at 1, 2 and 3 in that order, then it's personal preference for the next 10 or so.

Good to see they took into account leadership with the likes of Pendlebury, Hodge and Selwood.

👏 👏 👏

You might want to have a closer look at Pendlebury's record...

He was a top 5 player in the league consistently between 2010 and 2014, at a time when the unanimous top 3 in these lists were also going around - GAJ, Buddy and Judd.

Great list provided by The Roar.

I've always said that GAJ, Buddy and Judd pick themselves at 1, 2 and 3 in that order, then it's personal preference for the next 10 or so.

Good to see they took into account leadership with the likes of Pendlebury, Hodge and Selwood.

Just curious how do you rate dual Brownlow medalists Fyfe and Neale?

Fyfe at his peak was probably the best H&A player you’ll see but injuries cut him down.

You might want to have a closer look at Pendlebury's record...

He was a top 5 player in the league consistently between 2010 and 2014, at a time when the unanimous top 3 in these lists were also going around - GAJ, Buddy and Judd.

Hard to go back and really confirm this - I don't ever recall him being in the top 5. I've looked at coaches award votes to check as I have always felt that was a great indicator.

2010 - 12th
2011 - 7th
2012 - 9th
2013 - 1st
2014 - 6th

You're probably right, I have undersold him a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back