43. Cam Zurhaar
  44. Taylor Walker
  45. Darcy Parish
  46. Rory Laird
  47. Jake Stringer
  48. Nick Larkey
  49. Dustin Martin
  50. Nat Fyfe

This thread is very interesting in consideration of the Dustin Martin GOAT thread...

Only four posters have included Martin in their top 50, from about a dozen lists so far. His rankings have been 4 (Geelong supporter), 12, 37 and 44.

If you were putting forward a player as GOAT, you'd want him to perform a lot better as a 31 year old in 2023 than many of the BigFooty brainstrust are predicting...

1. Marcus Bontempelli
  2. Christian Petracca
  3. Jeremy Cameron
  4. Patrick Cripps
  5. Clayton Oliver
  6. Lachie Neale
  7. Toby Greene
  8. Andrew Brayshaw
  9. Sam Walsh
  10. Tom Lynch
  11. Touk Miller
  12. Max Gawn
  13. Tom Hawkins
  14. Tom Stewart
  15. Steven May
  16. Cam Guthrie
  17. Jacob Weitering
  18. Luke Parker
  19. Patrick Dangerfield
  20. Aaron Naughton
  21. Darcy Moore
  22. Charlie Curnow
  23. Ollie Wines
  24. Jackson Macrae
  25. Connor Rozee
  26. Harry McKay
  27. Jack Steele
  28. James Sicily
  29. Tom Papley
  30. Sam Taylor
  31. Sean Darcy
  32. Hugh McCluggage
  33. Taylor Adams
  34. Dion Prestia
  35. Zach Merrett
  36. Jordan DeGoey
  37. Callum Mills
  38. Shai Bolton
  39. Charlie Cameron
  40. Jamie Elliot
  41. Tim Taranto
  42. Chad Warner
  43. Cam Zurhaar
  44. Taylor Walker
  45. Darcy Parish
  46. Rory Laird
  47. Jake Stringer
  48. Nick Larkey
  49. Dustin Martin
  50. Nat Fyfe
I don't quite agree with the order of your top 10, but it's a good list, Karate.

Except for a glaring ommission; at least for me.

Bayley Fritsch has made the AA squad of 40 the last two years.

Over those last two years only Tom Hawkins has kicked more goals. One player. Fritsch kicked 114 goals in 21/22.

You've got Papley at 29, Elliott at 40 and even Zurhaar at 43 (??), but no room for Fritsch in your 50 when he's been more damaging than all.

As I said, it's a good list, but for me, Fritsch should be in the top 30, let alone 50.

1. Marcus Bontempelli
  2. Christian Petracca
  3. Jeremy Cameron
  4. Patrick Cripps
  5. Clayton Oliver
  6. Lachie Neale
  7. Toby Greene
  8. Andrew Brayshaw
  9. Sam Walsh
  10. Tom Lynch
  11. Touk Miller
  12. Max Gawn
  13. Tom Hawkins
  14. Tom Stewart
  15. Steven May
  16. Cam Guthrie
  17. Jacob Weitering
  18. Luke Parker
  19. Patrick Dangerfield
  20. Aaron Naughton
  21. Darcy Moore
  22. Charlie Curnow
  23. Ollie Wines
  24. Jackson Macrae
  25. Connor Rozee
  26. Harry McKay
  27. Jack Steele
  28. James Sicily
  29. Tom Papley
  30. Sam Taylor
  31. Sean Darcy
  32. Hugh McCluggage
  33. Taylor Adams
  34. Dion Prestia
  35. Zach Merrett
  36. Jordan DeGoey
  37. Callum Mills
  38. Shai Bolton
  39. Charlie Cameron
  40. Jamie Elliot
  41. Tim Taranto
  42. Chad Warner
  43. Cam Zurhaar
  44. Taylor Walker
  45. Darcy Parish
  46. Rory Laird
  47. Jake Stringer
  48. Nick Larkey
  49. Dustin Martin
  50. Nat Fyfe
Very nice list.
Like the top 15 and it’s good to see your individual order.

I think Zac Merrett is a bit underrated in this list.
Dion Prestia overrated along with Papley and Naughton.

Cam Guthrie I love but some of the names below him are questionable.

The following list based on projected output in 2023.

1Marcus Bontempelli
2Clayton Oliver
3Patrick Cripps
4Christian Petracca
5Jeremy Cameron
6Lachie Neale
7Touk Miller
8Andrew Brayshaw
9Charlie Curnow
10Jack Steele
11Darcy Moore
12Aaron Naughton
13Connor Rozee
14Harry McKay
15Rory Laird
16Darcy Parish
17Chad Warner
18Jordon De Goey
19Tom Liberatore
20Josh Dunkley
21Steven May
22Harry McKay
23Tom Stewart
24Ollie Wines
25Shai Bolton
26Callum Mills
27Max Gawn
28Jacob Weitering
29Hugh McGluggage
30Caleb Serong
31Tom Lynch
32Jack Crisp
33Bailey Smith
34Harris Andrews
35Sam Taylor
36Dion Prestia
37Jackson Macrae
38James Sicily
39Noah Anderson
40Zach Merrett
41Isaac Heeney
42Kozi Pickett
43Tim Taranto
44Charlie Cameron
45Luke Parker
46Matthew Rowell
47Nick Daicos
48Tyson Stengle
49Tom Papley
50Brodie Grundy

Have left out Fyfe, Dangerfield and D. Martin as we can't expect them to play enough games to be in the 50 best players over the course of the season.

Toby Greene would also usually be in there, but he just misses too many games due to injury/suspension.

Have also left out S. Walsh and Hawkins given their off season surgeries and unknown timeframes for recovery.

Nice list I see that you have Moore higher than most and Daicos lower so not a bias list but interesting decisions.

I am a big fan of Moore as well if he can become a little more offensive I see where you are projecting him, will be a big step up though.

Good call on serong his second half of his season was very good and could go another level with one more preseason under his belt.

Good call on serong his second half of his season was very good and could go another level with one more preseason under his belt.
Yeah, there are always some young guns who take a big leap, and I'm projecting that from the likes of Serong, Anderson, Warner and Smith who all have an extra year or two under their belt than N. Daicos.

The other interesting one will be Rowell. I don't recall seeing him in many (if any) other Top 50's, but I expect him to be in the top 5 to 10 players in the comp at some stage of his career, and hope he can take a big step in 2023.

I don't quite agree with the order of your top 10, but it's a good list, Karate.

Except for a glaring ommission; at least for me.

Bayley Fritsch has made the AA squad of 40 the last two years.

Over those last two years only Tom Hawkins has kicked more goals. One player. Fritsch kicked 114 goals in 21/22.

You've got Papley at 29, Elliott at 40 and even Zurhaar at 43 (??), but no room for Fritsch in your 50 when he's been more damaging than all.

As I said, it's a good list, but for me, Fritsch should be in the top 30, let alone 50.
Fair call on Fritsch. He’s undoubtedly a gun and a terrific finisher. It’s possible that I’ve overrated those other three and underrated Fritsch.

I thought Papley had a really good 2022 and showed some of his wares as a burst midfielder. I love the way Elliot uses his body in the contest and on the deck. I also have a lot of respect for the way Zurhaar carries himself playing well in a shit side.

Perhaps I’m a bit predisposed to being a tad harsh (read irrational) on Melbourne players at times and seeing weaknesses (in Fritsch’s case: defensive pressure, the odd poor set shot or instance of selfishness in front of goals) rather than valuing strengths (Fritsch has extremely high footy iq, uses his skinny frame well, is terrific on the lead and deadly in front of the goals).

Truth be told, I find it hard to rank our players beyond the big 4 of Oliver, Petracca, Gawn and May; Fritsch, Lever and Pickett are probably next cabs off the rank with Salem and Langdon at a stretch - I think all are elite or potential elite by position players who have the capability to be top 30-50 players in the league.

Very nice list.
Like the top 15 and it’s good to see your individual order.

I think Zac Merrett is a bit underrated in this list.
Dion Prestia overrated along with Papley and Naughton.

Cam Guthrie I love but some of the names below him are questionable.
Zerrett’s a gun but rightly or wrongly I don’t think he’s quite at the level of the Top 20-30 players in the game.

Prestia is a very important cog in Richmond’s midfield and if he plays well, so do the Tiges, I understand that some would have him lower because of continuity issues.

Naughton is an outstanding talent and terrific pack mark which I rate highly and I like that he’s starting to become more of a threat at ground level.

Guthrie has elevated himself to Geelong’s best and most consistent midfielder over the past 3 years in particular. Again, it’s subjective but I rate those that I’ve listed above him on the list, a tad better. Whereas I feel he’s playing better footy than those I’ve listed after him.

Fair call on Fritsch. He’s undoubtedly a gun and a terrific finisher. It’s possible that I’ve overrated those other three and underrated Fritsch.

I thought Papley had a really good 2022 and showed some of his wares as a burst midfielder. I love the way Elliot uses his body in the contest and on the deck. I also have a lot of respect for the way Zurhaar carries himself playing well in a s**t side.

Perhaps I’m a bit predisposed to being a tad harsh (read irrational) on Melbourne players at times and seeing weaknesses (in Fritsch’s case: defensive pressure, the odd poor set shot or instance of selfishness in front of goals) rather than valuing strengths (Fritsch has extremely high footy iq, uses his skinny frame well, is terrific on the lead and deadly in front of the goals).

Truth be told, I find it hard to rank our players beyond the big 4 of Oliver, Petracca, Gawn and May; Fritsch, Lever and Pickett are probably next cabs off the rank with Salem and Langdon at a stretch - I think all are elite or potential elite by position players who have the capability to be top 30-50 players in the league.

Zerrett’s a gun but rightly or wrongly I don’t think he’s quite at the level of the Top 20-30 players in the game.

Prestia is a very important cog in Richmond’s midfield and if he plays well, so do the Tiges, I understand that some would have him lower because of continuity issues.

Naughton is an outstanding talent and terrific pack mark which I rate highly and I like that he’s starting to become more of a threat at ground level.

Guthrie has elevated himself to Geelong’s best and most consistent midfielder over the past 3 years in particular. Again, it’s subjective but I rate those that I’ve listed above him on the list, a tad better. Whereas I feel he’s playing better footy than those I’ve listed after him.
Papley was AA in 2022 and has some outstanding games but doesn't hit the scoreboard enough for my liking.

Charlie Cameron has kicked 50 + goals the last 2 years and has been overlooked by AA selectors. But he too has his very quiet games. Especially against Michael Hibberd. Yet Papley has kicked 40 goals just once in 7 seasons.

Lever has really only had one great season at the Dees (2021) and I put that down to injury. Salem was also useless last year when he got back in after round 10 due to ongoing knee issues.

Kosi is playing midfield at training. He'll be an interesting watch. Along with Viney he's been the preseason standout.

With these top 50s you're on a hiding to nothing. You'll never please everyone.

I thought Papley had a really good 2022 and showed some of his wares as a burst midfielder. I love the way Elliot uses his body in the contest and on the deck. I also have a lot of respect for the way Zurhaar carries himself playing well in a s**t side.

Yes very justifiable with your explanations that’s why I like to see other people have a go at this to get some insight in to Gow players are viewed.

I think your assessment of Melbourne big 4 is good but I’d say viney is very close to that 4 when fully fit.

This thread is very interesting in consideration of the Dustin Martin GOAT thread...

Only four posters have included Martin in their top 50, from about a dozen lists so far. His rankings have been 4 (Geelong supporter), 12, 37 and 44.

If you were putting forward a player as GOAT, you'd want him to perform a lot better as a 31 year old in 2023 than many of the BigFooty brainstrust are predicting...

Fair call re Martin. I'm hearing good things of him on the track so the signs are tracking well. If he plays anywhere near his best he'll be one of the best handful in 23. If he plays at his best, he'll be top 1/2.

Jury is out but your point is fair.

The following list based on projected output in 2023.

1Marcus Bontempelli
2Clayton Oliver
3Patrick Cripps
4Christian Petracca
5Jeremy Cameron
6Lachie Neale
7Touk Miller
8Andrew Brayshaw
9Charlie Curnow
10Jack Steele
11Darcy Moore
12Aaron Naughton
13Connor Rozee
14Harry McKay
15Rory Laird
16Darcy Parish
17Chad Warner
18Jordon De Goey
19Tom Liberatore
20Josh Dunkley
21Steven May
22Harry McKay
23Tom Stewart
24Ollie Wines
25Shai Bolton
26Callum Mills
27Max Gawn
28Jacob Weitering
29Hugh McGluggage
30Caleb Serong
31Tom Lynch
32Jack Crisp
33Bailey Smith
34Harris Andrews
35Sam Taylor
36Dion Prestia
37Jackson Macrae
38James Sicily
39Noah Anderson
40Zach Merrett
41Isaac Heeney
42Kozi Pickett
43Tim Taranto
44Charlie Cameron
45Luke Parker
46Matthew Rowell
47Nick Daicos
48Tyson Stengle
49Tom Papley
50Brodie Grundy

Have left out Fyfe, Dangerfield and D. Martin as we can't expect them to play enough games to be in the 50 best players over the course of the season.

Toby Greene would also usually be in there, but he just misses too many games due to injury/suspension.

Have also left out S. Walsh and Hawkins given their off season surgeries and unknown timeframes for recovery.

Decent list. The one I would have much higher is Serong. I think we'll see something special from him this year. Possibly overtake Brayshaw.

I find it hard to rank our players beyond the big 4 of Oliver, Petracca, Gawn and May;
I rate Petty and I don't care if the opposition continue to underrate him. I'm also a Spargo fan because he is one of a few Melbourne players that makes things happen in the forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo needs to differentiate between actual current (i.e., 2022) and reputational form. Bontempelli was 4th in the B&F, but Robbo has him No.3 in his Top 50?

And Martin at No.7. Can't be anything to do with 2022 form which makes a mockery of having an annual Top 50.

I'll admit too that Dangerfield's ranking by Robbo must be based on his finals performance only

Robbo needs to differentiate between actual current (i.e., 2022) and reputational form. Bontempelli was 4th in the B&F, but Robbo has him No.3 in his Top 50?

And Martin at No.7. Can't be anything to do with 2022 form which makes a mockery of having an annual Top 50.

I'll admit too that Dangerfield's ranking by Robbo must be based on his finals performance only

It's predictive, so it's the list of how he thinks it'll be at end of the season. So he had Bont at 38 end of last year, Cripps was 1. Dusty wasn't in it at all.

It's all predicting.

Can someone post his top 50?

1 Charlie Curnow
2 Christian Petracca
3 Marcus Bontempelli
4 Patrick Cripps
5 Clayton Oliver
6 Jeremy Cameron
7 Dustin Martin
8 Lachie Neale
9 Patrick Dangerfield
10 Chad Warner
11 Tom Lynch
12 Tom Stewart
13 Shai Bolton
14 Connor Rozee
15 Darcy Moore
16 Jordan De Goey
17 Touk Miller
18 Toby Greene
19 Andrew Brayshaw
20 Hugh McCluggage
21 Aaron Naughton
22 Steven May
23 Dion Prestia
24 Josh Dunkley
25 Jack Macrae
26 James Sicily
27 Max Gawn
28 Tom Hawkins
29 Tim English
30 Jacob Weitering
31 Callum Mills
32 Charlie Cameron
33 Nick Daicos
34 Cam Guthrie
35 Rowan Marshall
36 Zach Merrett
37 Luke Davies-Uniacke
38 Nick Vlastuin
39 Isaac Heeney
40 Sam Walsh
41 Rory Laird
42 Brayden Maynard
43 Harry McKay
44 Tom Barrass
45 Angus Brayshaw
46 Luke Parker
47 Mark Blicavs
48 Tim Taranto
49 Sam Taylor
50 Bailey Smith

I would urge everybody to remember that these lists are not a list of the best footballers, but an exercise in farming clicks and arguments. That's how this works.

Can someone post the list please?

Can someone post his top 50?

50. Bailey Smith
49. Sam Taylor
48. Tim Taranto
47. Mark Blicavs
46. Luke Parker
45. Angus Brayshaw
44. Tom Barrass
43. Harry McKay
42. Brayden Maynard
41. Rory Laird
40. Sam Walsh
39. Isaac Heeney
38. Nick Vlastuin
37. Luke Davies-Uniacke
36. Zach Merrett
35. Rowan Marshall
34. Cam Guthrie
33. Nick Daicos
32. Charlie Cameron
31. Callum Mills
30. Jacob Weitering
29. Tim English
28. Tom Hawkins
27. Max Gawn
26. James Sicily
25. Jack Macrae
24. Josh Dunkley
23. Dion Prestia
22. Steven May
21. Aaron Naughton
20. Hugh McCluggage
19. Andrew Brayshaw
18. Toby Greene
17. Touk Miller
16. Jordan De Goey
15. Darcy Moore
14. Connor Rozee
13. Shai Bolton
12. Tom Stewart
11. Tom Lynch
10. Chad Warner
9. Patrick Dangerfield
8. Lachie Neale
7. Dustin Martin
6. Jeremy Cameron
5. Clayton Oliver
4. Patrick Cripps
3. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Christian Petracca
1. Charlie Curnow

Chad Warner at 10 tries to be edgy, but it is just stupid.

Look at the talent below him.

Seriously though… Charlie Curnow 😂😂

I can show you a player who, at an identical age, playing as a key forward in one of the absolute shittest teams in the comp:

Unlike Curnow, copped the #1 key defender every week
Kicked a whole 10 goals less for the season
Took more marks
Was a far more accurate shot at goal
Had a far better disposal efficiency around the ground
Had more goal assists
Gave away less frees
Had less clangers
Had less turnovers
Had double the one-percenters
Is 11cm taller
Is 6kg heavier

And does all that while also going into the ruck when called upon each quarter and doing a stellar job in there.

Arise the true #1:

Two Metre Peter

Better than Curnow. Facts don’t lie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back