Top 8 - are we there yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

over the top

Team Captain
May 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
the obvious response is no - because we arent. but at this stage, are we really a top 8 team? or is this just the build-up for greater things to come in future seasons.

obviously the mass response will b yes because the adrenalin will still be pumping after such a great win. but would a top 8 team have gotten themselves into the situation carlton were facing coming into the last quarter? especially against a team who, lets face it, has no hope this season.

i probably posted this too early. maybe later in the week would of been more appropriately timed.

any thoughts?

the obvious response is no - because we arent. but at this stage, are we really a top 8 team? or is this just the build-up for greater things to come in future seasons.

obviously the mass response will b yes because the adrenalin will still be pumping after such a great win. but would a top 8 team have gotten themselves into the situation carlton were facing coming into the last quarter? especially against a team who, lets face it, has no hope this season.

i probably posted this too early. maybe later in the week would of been more appropriately timed.

any thoughts?
Our next 4 are very winable

lets beat the filth, the scum, ninthmond and the aints......then we`ll look at how pretty we're sitting :cool:

I LOVE YOU CARLTON:thumbsu:

Lets not get carried away if we were playing a better side we would have gotten smashed today. Yes it was a great great win, but if this was Geelong, Dogs, Lions etc they would have cleaned us up. We are lucky we were playing against of bunch of chokers, and a piss poor team as well. So please lets not start talking crap about finals etc. We might make finals next season, but this year I would be happy with a finish between 9 to 12.

Lets not get carried away if we were playing a better side we would have gotten smashed today. Yes it was a great great win, but if this was Geelong, Dogs, Lions etc they would have cleaned us up. We are lucky we were playing against of bunch of chokers, and a piss poor team as well. So please lets not start talking crap about finals etc. We might make finals next season, but this year I would be happy with a finish between 9 to 12.
Totally agree Alpha1 :thumbsu:
IMO Port got off to a good start due to our poor effort.
Final quarter Ratts made some very important changes and we had a lucky break,could've easilly gone the other way but it was OUR day today:D
Nowhere near the quality of the top 4 teams YET,but another game/win under the boys belt's and that means as a team we're moving forward.
Great win Blue boys!!! Well coached Ratts!!

Simple answer-No

The first 3 quaters today were absolute rubbish, but on the other hand if we can beat last years runners up on their home turf by playing 1 quater of footy, anthing's possible.

If we were to make the 8, we would most likely be just making up the numbers. When you look at the top 6, it is clear we are still a bit away from them & really would only be in touch with the currently 7th placed Collingwood. We should be looking to win 3 of the next 4 games & then see what happens after that. 8-10 wins is achievable, anything beyond that, a bonus.

I knows 'if' is a silly ol' whatever-ya-call it type of word, but I cant help but think what if we beat Richmond and Essendon... Becuase we really should have. then we'd be sitting pretty at 7-6.

Food for thought

Our next 4 are very winable

The following 7 are not.

We have a tough run home, and really need to get 3-4 wins over the next 4 rounds to be any chance of finals...........but, if we make at least we know we will have earned it.........unlike the Tiges who have the Dees twice in the last 11 rounds. :cool:

I knows 'if' is a silly ol' whatever-ya-call it type of word, but I cant help but think what if we beat Richmond and Essendon... Becuase we really should have. then we'd be sitting pretty at 7-6.

Food for thought

Well if thats your thought we would actually be sittin 7-4 at the moment, as you would take away those 2 losses. Oh well, footys a funny game. Im sure there would be a lot of "what if's" happening over on the Power board. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha dont blame ya mate. This has been one of the best days I've had in along time. First time I have seen Carlton win since the Adelaide game in 04. Been over to Melbourne, QLD, Sydney since then and we've lost every time. Ahh its a good feeling seeing a win live!!

No, we're not. Not yet, anyway.

Tonight was great as we took a massive step towards our future. And we have a very bright period coming up.

There's no doubt we're improving. And it's a very used saying, but we're a young side. We're going to have great ups, like tonight, and the Collingwood game, but we'll also have some tough games. And we're going to have to deal with that, because that's life and we'll move on and be better for it.

8-10 wins is a realistic aim for this year. At the half way mark of the season, we've won 5 and lost 6. Our next 4 games are against Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda. Whilst obviously we'll be aiming to win all of them, that's unrealistic. I expect to win 2 of them, giving us 7 wins for the season. After that, we have a very tough draw, but it isn't totally out of the realms of possibility that we get a few wins here and there out of them, just like we did tonight.

Next year we'll make finals. This year, making finals is a huge stretch, although technically it is possible. If we make it, we'll be making up the numbers though, at least for this year.

Go Blues.

any thoughts?

Sorry what was that....i've been staring at the ladder for the past 3 hours dreaming...

I see this year very similar to 92. We are the gathering storm. I want to be optimistic however the game against Geelong proved we just cant cut it with the top teams.

Remember our boys are very young, Russell showed what he can do, Gibbs slaughtered Cornes and Judd and Murphy led the midfield.

We are building a dynasty, not a one hit wonder, a team that will win multiple premierships. dont be disappointed that we dont get into the 8 this year because we will explode next year. Tonight was a great win, savour it and the KREUZ has arrived

Round 1 - we had a couple of key players missing
Round 2 - we caught a St. Kilda side at full strength with all guns playing well (even Gehrig)
Round 3 - we caught a fast running Essendon side and we couldn't cope
Round 6 - we should have been 6 goals up at quarter time against a top-4 side in Adelaide.

We've caught teams at the wrong time this season and made some mistakes, which we'll learn from, 4 of those games were all winnable, we have the chance to make amends in the next 4 weeks, meeting three of those sides again, and later in the season we travel to Adelaide again.

We have some winnable games coming up, and looking back, we had some winnable games, we could easily be 7-4 right now, and we could quite easily be 10-5 after 15 rounds, which would be abolsutely amazing, however, if we're 8-7 after 15 rounds, I'll be loving it.

Simple answer-No

The first 3 quaters today were absolute rubbish, but on the other hand if we can beat last years runners up on their home turf by playing 1 quater of footy, anthing's possible.
got a point there:thumbsu:

we are not a top 8 team we are about a 10th or 9th place team
to be honest we are in the best shape out of the teams outside the 8
port choked, aints - pathetic, richmond - smashed and the rest speaks for itself:thumbsu:

if we can win 2 or 3 of the next 4 we are in good shape as they are all winnable especially the bummers nd tigers

No way. We don't have the composure and make way to many errors. We very close to having the skill, with one more key forward or two, and some experience and good coaching, we'll be there next year as long as we iron out some of the errors.

No we are a 11-9 side this year.

Back line has been fantastic, injuries have been cruel... backline is in good position.

Midfield. Been very patchy, not as good as people think this year. Getting better as the year goes on, with a fit and full preseason Judd, Stevens and Hadley 09 should see us move into the elite midfield's. Midfield good position

Forward line is terrible atm, last night we had the same amount of forward entries as Port at 3/4 (if not very very close). Kruezer may have found his niche as a mobile forward. Kruezer is still a little while of being a competitive ruckman, so he may be able to fill the void until we have a good tall target.

Even if we make finals this year, our forward line is one dimensional at this stage. Fisher is horribly out of form, unless he can lift or Hartlett can make a significant impact good sides will shut fev out ( and he's too good to be used as a decoy). On the bright side our list is almost complete, apart from a tall forward we have no deficiencies. With plenty of young guys keen to step up and take positions. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 8 - are we there yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back