Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Romain Bardet (DSM/FRA)

• Eddie Dunbar (JAY/IRE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Girmay wins it. Historic day for Eritrean cycling.

That crash was coming with how physical the last few km's were. The first sprint stage is always a shitshow

Love Pog and Remco trying to finish behind each other to avoid the yellow jersey while Carapaz is up ahead going all out in the sprint to take it.
Yeah I think EF are realistic in that they know that a good result is top 5 and wearing yellow, even if it's only a day, is better for them.

Yeah I think EF are realistic in that they know that a good result is top 5 and wearing yellow, even if it's only a day, is better for them.
Yeah right move from EF. Carapaz looks in super touch and can maybe snatch an unlikely podium finish best case scenario, so he should take the jersey while it’s on offer. They shouldn’t worry about trying to defend it tomorrow and just send riders in the break instead.

Remco will be hoping someone in the young riders classification can take some time and that jersey off him tomorrow so he’s in his own kit for the TT.

That was an exciting finish. Might open up the talent search in east Africa.

Pity about the crash, hope they are all ok and no one gets scratched from the race due to an injury.

Was Cavendish involved or just caught up behind it and couldn't contend for the sprint finish?

That was an exciting finish. Might open up the talent search in east Africa.

Pity about the crash, hope they are all ok and no one gets scratched from the race due to an injury.

Was Cavendish involved or just caught up behind it and couldn't contend for the sprint finish?
Cav was caught behind but unscathed
Teams have finally realised how untapped the talent pool is in East Africa - a lot of them cycle from a young age and have the physiological attributes, but just don't have the opportunity.

Last edited:
Girmay wins it. Historic day for Eritrean cycling.

That crash was coming with how physical the last few km's were. The first sprint stage is always a shitshow
Hope he managed to keep the champagne cork away from his eye this time!

Everyone drifting left and right. Bling punished because he was ahead of the rest. Must protest.

Can someone explain to me why Bling was relegated for this sprint, but De Lie wasn't for this sprint:

De Lie clearly cuts off his limited space when he was about to pass. Crazy decision. One was an unfair sprint, the other wasn't, and the commissaires got it wrong both times.

Stage 4 Pinerolo > Valloire

The race leaves Italy after a long climb to the resort of Sestrières, where Coppi triumphed in 1952, the border subsequently reached at the Col de Montgenèvre. Then, after ascending the Lautaret pass, the riders will tackle the 2,642-metre Galibier. This will be the first opportunity for the favourites to test themselves in the high mountains.

2404map.jpg

2404profile.jpg
Weather:
Pinerolo 27deg cloudy
Sestrière 16deg sunny
Col de Montgenèvre 18deg partly cloudy
Col du Galibier 12deg partly cloudy
Valloire 15deg mostly cloudy, small chance of showers

Looks like they have missed a lot of the bad weather in that part of the world, which is good.

Big shot fired by Tadej gaining 20 secs on Jonas on the Galibier descent.

I think Jonas will grow into it but he couldn't even hold Evenepoel's wheel at the end. No Sepp Kuss means it'll be tough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great stage. Big statement from Pog and that’s a decent chunk of time with bonuses added on. Might regret what it could have been if Almeida and Ayuso stopped fighting.

Remco looked great, just needed to try and get to Jonas wheel before the descent. Him and Rodriguez should be a good podium battle. Roglic did really well to hold on but he doesn’t look great and feels like a matter of time til he drops out of contention.

I reckon Tadej is doing the exact same thing as the last two years, burning matches early. And it's worse this year because he's coming off the Giro where he hardly raced conservatively either.

Jonas to take it out IMO

Big shot fired by Tadej gaining 20 secs on Jonas on the Galibier descent.

I think Jonas will grow into it but he couldn't even hold Evenepoel's wheel at the end. No Sepp Kuss means it'll be tough

was a lot more than 20 seconds... + the time bonus

Tadej won the stage by 30+ seconds and with time bonuses he has a 45 second lead over rRmco and 50 secs over Jonas

1719980569804.png

Last edited:
I reckon Tadej is doing the exact same thing as the last two years, burning matches early. And it's worse this year because he's coming off the Giro where he hardly raced conservatively either.

Jonas to take it out IMO

Jonas was exposed on that climb and surprisingly the decent

tadej looks strong.

Jonas is battling injury so expected, but don't see him winning the tour unless tadej falls apart. Jonas looked a bit scared on that decent. Which is where he won it last year in the time trial. Could be some mental issues from his crash

Last edited:
I see this going the way of the Giro. Margin won't be as big but I think Remco will be the only threat in the TT, Jonas to lose more time. The theory about Vinge getting stronger as the race goes on I have doubts on, lower fitness base = longer recovery time and higher rate of fatigue. Can't spend nearly 2 weeks in a hospital bed with tubes draining your lung and be prepared for TDF six weeks later. The timing of it was a disaster as it's a crucial stage for his preparation.

Pog has done a bit of Froome, everyone thought he couldn't descend but puts time into everybody here a year later. The best never stop getting better.

I don’t think in isolation that was a bad day for Jonas. It was a short stage, with a tough but steady climb and a 100% effort attack from Pog. He could lose the wheel in that situation even at 100%. The issue with the descent was when it stopped being technical the gap blew out, but not much Jonas can do about that with the weight difference.

The issue is he looked empty at the finish and what will week 3 look like with even more hurt in the legs. And the time gap now is enough to give Pog a real tactical advantage. Pog still has the same questions over him as before on high energy days in week 3 when it gets really tough though, and even more with a Giro in his legs this time.

It’s probably crazy but Remco and Rodriguez just need to hang around as close as they can for now and hope the big 2 do end up blowing up late in the race.

Got home in time to see the highlights, looked like a pretty exciting stage, shame it's on during the week. I think Pogacar taking an early lead will make for an interesting few weeks.

Stage 5 Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Saint-Vulbas Plaine de l’Ain

The race’s temporary exit from the Alps will be made via Chambéry. Soon after, the peloton will be in La Bridoire, where the finish of the Classique des Alpes Juniors is regularly held. That’s a race for climbers, but they won’t get a look-in here as they head for Saint-Vulbas. After the Côte de l’Huis, tackled with 34km remaining, the wide roads beyond will be ideal for keeping a close eye on the breakaway riders. The winner’s bouquet looks destined to go to a sprinter.

2405map.jpg

2405profile.jpg
Weather:
Start 21deg, cloudy, light winds
Finish 20deg, partly cloudy, light headwind

Did the Pog cause that crash on the small traffic island and sign? Will have to see if I can fins some pictures.

He got around the sign just, but that caused others to have to react.

Last edited:
Back