List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even taking Daicos bid into account finishing bottom 4 is a massive fk up, cause there's zero chance we expected to have such a woeful year otherwise we would have asked GWS for way more.
You guys are simply trying to polish a turd.
Spot on. Even if we reproduced the previous year and finished 6th, a future pick 12 for pick 24 and 26 was still unders. GWS must have been in a state of shocked glee when we agreed to it.

He is an A Grade pig. I read that an ignored it. We won’t finish last for starters and even if we do, what’s not to say a bid comes in for Daicos at pick 1.

My preference was to keep the first pick And flog it for a player or picks this year…I don’t believe our bargaining position is any weaker with clubs knowing we have to trade it…all you need is a couple of interested parties.
I'm with you on wanting to have kept the pick at the time, but we've made that bed now so got to lie in it. Would have been interesting how much bargaining power we would have had with that pick anyway, given teams would know we (likely) would have to part with it anyway?

Even taking Daicos bid into account finishing bottom 4 is a massive fk up, cause there's zero chance we expected to have such a woeful year otherwise we would have asked GWS for way more.
You guys are simply trying to polish a turd.

Buhbuh. Any pick outside of 1 was a bad outcome if we held it into 2021 because there’s no way we’d be able to trade up to 1 without selling our soul and this draft has wound up decidedly average.

Daicos will be the first player bid on and Darcy the second so we need pick 1. In order to get that from pick 2 you’re looking at pick 2 + a 2022 2nd minimum to move up one spot. Picks 3-5 are either wasted on a Daicos bid or traded into the 2022 draft which loses 2 years of development and is going into a draft with kids potentially having lost 2-3 years of underage footy because of COVID.

We’ve got problems, but this isn’t one of them unless we finish last.

I'm with you on wanting to have kept the pick at the time, but we've made that bed now so got to lie in it. Would have been interesting how much bargaining power we would have had with that pick anyway, given teams would know we (likely) would have to part with it anyway?

Once you have a top 3 pick there will be LOTS of teams interested, no matter if we are forced to get rid of it or not, there will be a bidding war.

It’s like when you’re selling your house, people know you need to sell it…they still bid and you get a fair price.

the decision was made and I think we did well out of it, but I always wanted us to get a player of quality with it. Turns out we didn’t have the cap space last year to do that.

The optimistic side of me hopes we get into the young fella GWS get with our pick anyway, and get him home in 2 years time (assuming he's a Vic of course)!
Most likely a decent chunk of the top 10 are vic kids. Depends who they go for. Where we land. Could be either of Josh Sinn, Sonsie, Callahan, Chesser.

On paper, this trade doesn’t look great for us. Since we traded pick 1-3 for “couple picks of in the 30’s”.

If Poulter & Liam’ combined output turns out to be better than Horne & co, then we win. We won’t know that for years.

I think the phrase “couple of picks in the 30’s” will be either considered a bargain or stupidity in 4-5 years from now.

If Poulter & Liam were pick 13 & pick 15, I don’t think we would be having this conversation right now. We would wait a few years before having that discussion.

Lol.

if we finish bottom 2 it will be one of the all time blunders.
What, playing finals last year and finishing bottom 2 or are we just about the draft pick.

We still get arguably the best prospect in the coming draft, we still have Poulter and we still have McMahon as a developing prospect.

All time? two firsts for Beams, 2 top 10 picks and Shaz and Freeman.

The glass is half full for me, we've done worse in the past.

This, Poulter and McMahon are with us now, let's see how they go before comparing them to someone that hasn't even been drafted yet.
Agree, for me selecting two players in 30’s both address a list need and likely to both become very good players, is better than one player obviously rated to go top 5. We’re already getting the 2nd top 5 rated player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On paper, this trade doesn’t look great for us. Since we traded pick 1-3 for “couple picks of in the 30’s”.

If Poulter & Liam’ combined output turns out to be better than Horne & co, then we win. We won’t know that for years.

I think the phrase “couple of picks in the 30’s” will be either considered a bargain or stupidity in 4-5 years from now.

If Poulter & Liam were pick 13 & pick 15, I don’t think we would be having this conversation right now. We would wait a few years before having that discussion.
I get the optics might be bad, but as it stands now it looks pretty clear that Poulter slid way further than he should have. He quite easily could have been a first rounder in his draft

I get the optics might be bad, but as it stands now it looks pretty clear that Poulter slid way further than he should have. He quite easily could have been a first rounder in his draft
Agree on Poulter, also Ollie and Jack appear to be bargains and they are all list needs.

and didn't we also bank points by trading back for Daicos?
96A0D50D-E294-4522-95D2-8751CE93F8A6.jpeg
we traded pick 24 (that had dropped back to 25 on draft day) for Adelaides pick 27 plus their 2021 3rd round pick, then on traded pick 27 for Freo pick 30 plus their 2021 3rd round pick.
our original pick 30 had dropped back to 31.
so our net result for trading our 2021 1st round pick was Poulter, McMahon plus Freo & Adelaide 2021 3rd round picks (Daicos points)

we also used the Geelong 2021 4th round pick to trade up from pick 49 to pick 44 to get McCreery (so we can add McCreery to the list?).
no guarantee McCreery would still have been there at pick 49??
we will never know on that one

Last edited:
We can look back all we like, but its not going to change our hand.

We're going to get a top 3 pick in this draft regardless, so for that I'm not too worried. It would have been nice to be able to get two, but who knew we would potentially finish last! On the flip side, we have a lot of kids, so does missing 2-3 later round picks really change that much?

I'd like to turn to the free agent class and see whos available. You'd imagine there is cap space available with the likely end of Cox, Sier & Greenwood and a potential retiree in Mayne. That haul alone would open up around 1.5mil of space.

Can we get a player like Josh Kelly for that price? He would fit a need, being the same age as DeGoey - and Pendles wont be around forever.

You're assuming Daicos will definitely be bid on at pick 1, that is far from a certainty... Clubs may rate Horne or even Darcy ahead of him... or just elect not to bid because it looks bad for their kid to be their #2 preference.... and pissing off Collingwood doesn't benefit them at all.
I agree if I had the number 1 pick I would be choosing the player who will be at my club.
However, I think North came out a couple of weeks ago and made mention they will bid and could bid on both Darcy and Daicos.
In any case, if we did have pick 2, I have no doubt pick 1 will make a bid. There is no way they would allow Collingwood to be gifted 2 top 3 picks.

Good to see some rational thought on the matter (singled yourself out but others have been posting too). Let's just finish the year strong, and see where the cards fall

I agree if I had the number 1 pick I would be choosing the player who will be at my club.
However, I think North came out a couple of weeks ago and made mention they will bid and could bid on both Darcy and Daicos.
In any case, if we did have pick 2, I have no doubt pick 1 will make a bid. There is no way they would allow Collingwood to be gifted 2 top 3 picks.
They haven’t said they will/won’t bid on them, that’s just what the secret sauces are saying

Unfortunately the trade looks pretty shocking now. But it’s easy to act all knowledgeable and judge it with the benefit of hindsight.

Generally my philosophy is that there’s no point in stressing over errors in the past, if you can’t do anything to rectify them. You just need to learn from them, so you don’t make them again. And if they are so egregious hold people accountable (bye bye Ned).

Hopefully the lesson will be to never trade away future picks unless it’s absolutely ‘necessary’.

Ironically, IF, and it’s a very big IF, we were to finish last, I wonder whether GWS would be open to trading it back to us.

It’s very unlikely, given how few number 1 picks have ever been traded. But I feel it’s ‘absolutely necessary’ to at least ask the question.

Would Sidebottom and our future first (Likely to be <Pick 5) as the core of a trade be enough? (Maybe with Lynch, or other pick swaps included)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back