List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the banter and I’m falling onto your side of things, but I don’t think this is accurate. Clarko wasn’t towing the party line and was 100% genuine, IMO. I just think he’s been completely blindsided by the playing group.
Either way, my initial statement of he’ll say he’s staying until he isn’t was accurate.

Saad went for pick 9 when he was OOC. Maynard is pick 5 at least or 2 picks in the teens.

He’s the best medium defender (who can play tall) in the league.

and be a Massive Loss for Collingwood

Not if he can't commit and doesn't want to be here...

Would would be worse is if at the end of 2022, he leaves as a free agent and we get compensation at best - equal to a first rounder. Should we be in a position to recruit a key Free Agent (which we should by this stage) this will nullify the compensation we receive.

There is zero chance we’re looking at FA’s post 2022. We’ll be bottom 4 next year and Maynard leaving as a FA could provide us 2 picks in the top 5. Add that to the young talent currently on the list plus Daicos and we’d have a great foundation for hitting the FA market post 2023.

There is zero chance we’re looking at FA’s post 2022. We’ll be bottom 4 next year and Maynard leaving as a FA could provide us 2 picks in the top 5. Add that to the young talent currently on the list plus Daicos and we’d have a great foundation for hitting the FA market post 2023.

More likely Maynard plays midfield and stays past 2022, but De Goey could easily wear out his welcome and that scenario would still hold.

More likely Maynard plays midfield and stays past 2022, but De Goey could easily wear out his welcome and that scenario would still hold.
Really our conditioning staff have a lot to answer for - our two big bodied players can't string 4 quarters together.

I think that’s the way it’ll go myself re Maynard, but we need to start getting tough on contracts like his so we need to be across the scenario of him leaving. For instance he might be looking for $800k pa in 2023 onwards which we can’t do unless he blitzes as a mid. I’ve got next to no idea on JDG.

I think that’s the way it’ll go myself re Maynard, but we need to start getting tough on contracts like his so we need to be across the scenario of him leaving. For instance he might be looking for $800k pa in 2023 onwards which we can’t do unless he blitzes as a mid. I’ve got next to no idea on JDG.
JDG is so inconsistent who knows what he's worth.

JDG is so inconsistent who knows what he's worth.

I think you’ve kinda answered your own question. He’s worth whatever we can get for him from (or as a result of) another team overpaying for that inconsistency.

If I’m being fair though, his current patch is probably the most consistent output he’s ever achieved, albeit that against Carltank he was pretty much ineffectual and the same against Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’ve kinda answered your own question. He’s worth whatever we can get for him from (or as a result of) another team overpaying for that inconsistency.

If I’m being fair though, his current patch is probably the most consistent output he’s ever achieved, albeit that against Carltank he was pretty much ineffectual and the same against Port.
Like Sier just plain bloody frustrating - so much talent but no idea how to make the most of it.

Carlton: 28 players between ages 21 and 27 played at least a dozen games or more
Magpies: 11 players between ages 21 and 27 played at least a dozen games or more

Bombers around 20 too, so this is an awfully long haul unless someone knows how to fill this giant hole between teens and Vets.

I think you're way too pessimistic about next year. We'll still be too shallow, but a decent run with injury and some youngsters developing into solid and I think we'll be ok:

Core group in peak years: Grundy, Moore JDG, Adams, Crisp, Maynard, Mihocek, Elliott

Veterans who will hopefully still be OK to good: Howe, Sidey, Pendles

Acceptable senior role players: WHE, Roughy, Noble, Cameron

Decent to good young blokes on the improve: Quaynor and J Daicos

Promising blokes who we'll need to step up: Henry, Ruscoe, Bianco, N DAicos, Macrae, Mcreery

A few others can plug holes. A couple of other youngsters may rise. Add in a couple of young mature age recruits

I don't think it's doom and gloom for the next couple of years.

Carlton: 28 players between ages 21 and 27 played at least a dozen games or more
Magpies: 11 players between ages 21 and 27 played at least a dozen games or more

Bombers around 20 too, so this is an awfully long haul unless someone knows how to fill this giant hole between teens and Vets.
Yeah, we have a decent demographic gap in the 22-26 range.

Been saying this for ages. Need a couple of DFA or RFA who have played 80-100 games plus.

I’d start with a mature age full back... maybe add a general defender like Jake Kelly once/if Mayne retires

So how is it possible that we are still under salary cap constraint?...

SIMPLES!!!!!!!!

fceeacbaa5aefb248ca7479baf61762b

True, but they did increased their chances of finding a good player through the draft, these trades opened up list spots, and there are countless examples of good players coming from the latter picks and or rookie draft.

Why would a club, that has an outstanding recent history of good trading and premierships, make this call. From memory Clarkson supported this approach. Is he not the person who we would most want to be our new coach? - despite being unlikely to occur.
I don’t know. They received picks in the 50s and 60s. The likelihood of getting a decent player is very low. I would have thought keeping those guys and their experience as some of the best leaders in the game would be more valuable for other kids coming through.
As I kid Inwould love to play alongside a Mitchell, Lewis or Hodge even is they had slowed down. I’m sure these ‘old’ blokes had a positive impact on the clubs they went to. It’s interesting clubs like Brisbane saw the value they could add to their young group and it was obviously successful to go back and pick up Birchall more recently.
You look at the Hawks and they look rudderless. The leaders who had to step up when their legends were moved on were very ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back