Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Menzel wouldn't be the worst pickup tbh. Kicks goals and can play tall - two things we lack in our forward line stocks.

We have one genuine key forward on our list (Schache) along with a bunch of ruck/forwards and medium-sized forwards. He would cost zilch in trade and salary. We could do worse, I reckon

Libba has been given a 2 week ultimatum to show the club he wants a new deal/ make up his mind.
You've looked at P63 in the Herald Sun "the whisper" and automatically thought Libba. As did I.
But I got info on GF Day in regard to Libba being re-signed by a mate who spoke to Tom Williams.

Supposedly we're interest in Ed Langdon, so I could see us offering that pick + another to get him over. Although we're not the only ones interested apparently, so I doubt that eventuates
I don't know much about Langdon, it surprises me that he would come at that cost. What's he like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/3c75d30a14f6b1ecde54c82e08f823d8

Another nothing ‘Menzel to Bulldogs’ article from News Corp.

A case study in how desperate speculation gets recycled around the football media.

I may as well go to Steven Mays manager and ask him if Steven May is a chance to get to Carlton. Then write an article about the Blues being linked to May.

My god that is such a lazy pathetic article. No mention in the article about us at all either, just in the heading.

A few posters here omitting the fact that Menzel has had 4 knee reco’s and as a result has the turning circle of a bus and therefore cannot chase. Poor bugger but no thanks.
He'd only be taking Redpath's spot on the list though. I think most of us would be happy to have seen Red stay on if not for his physical inability to recover from the most recent injury. He was contracted for next year after all. We severely lack multiple goal scorers, there is one available for cheap who would replace an outgoing player. If there's a better option for depth in that position then by all means leave Menzel alone... but is there?

"These Menzels are making me thirsty..."

We just had two guys with multiple recos retire because they couldn't get back out on the park... personally I highly doubt we would even talk to Menzel (or at least I'm hoping that's the case). Maybe a short-term cheap option for GCS?

He doesn’t jump out as a Bevo type player given his lack of versatility so just sounds like media speculation

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we end up losing a few depth guys, we could do worse than taking a punt of Menzel for a year rather than pick 60 odd of the draft, especially if we are already picking 4-5 kids IMO. If we have the spare cash and don't land Wingard, i'd be happy to give him a look. Obvious deficiencies in forward pressure and second efforts defensively, but a really talented forward who can kick goals and gives us another target. Not interested in more than a 1 year deal, but I think we have a fair chunk of $ lying around if we don't get the Chad.

If we end up losing a few depth guys, we could do worse than taking a punt of Menzel for a year rather than pick 60 odd of the draft, especially if we are already picking 4-5 kids IMO. If we have the spare cash and don't land Wingard, i'd be happy to give him a look. Obvious deficiencies in forward pressure and second efforts defensively, but a really talented forward who can kick goals and gives us another target. Not interested in more than a 1 year deal, but I think we have a fair chunk of $ lying around if we don't get the Chad.
The problem being that you would probably need to offer Menzel 2 years and that he would probably do his ACL week 3 of pre season # 1 knowing our luck. Then everyone is cooked.

Lets recruit Menzel and Lloyd take games away from Greene and Lipinski.
Just like how English suffered.
Sorry this is weak as piss recruiting strategies.
Build don't stop gap.

The problem being that you would probably need to offer Menzel 2 years and that he would probably do his ACL week 3 of pre season # 1 knowing our luck. Then everyone is cooked.

Players are a financial investment/asset, clubs wont want to invest in bringing in a player who has done a knee four times, and a high risk of sitting on the sideline. Basically pissing the clubs money down the drain. He is a good player, but the reality is one a player does his knee, his odds of doing it again are higher, and the knee is weaker. A second time, even worse, a third time even worse, a fourth time pretty much tells the story. Be lucky to live out his days without arthritic pain, being able to walk. Like him, feel for him, but not worth the risk. It's not just "get a developed player rather than reach for a kid with pick 60", its the financial side of things as well.

Should be compulsory. Bit of discipline.
hqdefault.jpg

There's a haircut you can set your watch to.

He'd only be taking Redpath's spot on the list though. I think most of us would be happy to have seen Red stay on if not for his physical inability to recover from the most recent injury. He was contracted for next year after all. We severely lack multiple goal scorers, there is one available for cheap who would replace an outgoing player. If there's a better option for depth in that position then by all means leave Menzel alone... but is there?
Sounds like he would want a lot more cash than Redpath was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back