Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atkins is a very very nice fit for us. He’s so attacking with his decision making and his left peg. His lateral movement/agility is superb as well.

Would make us better instantly.

What’s the right price? He’s probably worth the Dahlhaus compensation once it gets pushed back into the mid 20s.

I don’t know if we should be targeting these mid tier players. I’d rather we go all out and spend some picks and trade in a gun.

We can draft Rory Atkins types with later picks.

Not to mention we are stacked in that area. Wood, Williams, Crozier, Suckling, JJ all of whom are at the very least just as good.

Edit: Richards can be developed in that role as well.

Don’t see the need.

Atkins would be perfect.

I don’t agree with the above poster.

I think last years off season strategy worked wonders. I reckon we should just continue that approach.

Draft high end talent and trade in ‘mid tier’ players.

In comes Bevo who then transforms these players into key playmakers (Crozier is a prime example).

I don’t know if we should be targeting these mid tier players. I’d rather we go all out and spend some picks and trade in a gun.

Not to mention we are stacked in that area. Wood, Williams, Crozier, Suckling, JJ all of whom are at the very least just as good.

Don’t see the need.
You say spend the picks and get in a gun but a gun has to be willing to come in the first place. As we have seen with Norf had massive $$$$ and paying overs for guns and not one has said yes. It is not as easy as just saying lets get the guns. Looking at mid level players that improve the list is a sensible approach to take. Make the offers to the top tier but also chase those mid level who improve a list.

I think fronkalicious said at some stage (correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t overpay for mid tier players and I’m completely on board with that idea.

Trengrove case in point (although I’m more impressed with his ruck work than his defensive efforts).

I’m not sure why we would let go of mid tiers players such as Dahl and possibly Wally and Adams, just only get in mid tier players such as Atkins in return.

Granted A graders are hard to acquire (we of all clubs should no that) but I think we have to do a better job and this and this offseason is the perfect time.

Should have the cap space to bring in an A grader (preferably a smooth moving on baller) to compliment our midfield group.

Don’t see the need.

He’s a mix between Williams and JJ/Richards. Nothing like the others.
Has had some huge games including almost BOG medal in multiple derby’s.

If better options come up before the end of trade period I’m happy to have a crack but it seems a good bit of business I reckon.

The one thing that maybe doesn’t make sense in him coming to the dogs is that he has some strong friendships over in SA and has just started a boutique beer brewing company over their.
So it most likely would have to be a trade encouraged by the club.

Don’t see the need.

I also think that Bevo wants those types of players across all three lines at all times.

Rozzee, Atkins, Richards, willams, Crozier, Suckling, Hunter and JJ (8 players) will allow that.

2 HBF roles. Two Wing spots. Two high half forward roles, one deep forward role and one on the bench = 8.

You say spend the picks and get in a gun but a gun has to be willing to come in the first place. As we have seen with Norf had massive $$$$ and paying overs for guns and not one has said yes. It is not as easy as just saying lets get the guns. Looking at mid level players that improve the list is a sensible approach to take. Make the offers to the top tier but also chase those mid level who improve a list.

A little off topic Blizzard , but gotta ask , is that Strigers dog ?

Was also mentioned by a passing Crows fan. Unless he was only going on what was posted by McRae
Yep, as far as I can see it was only posted by MCraeBF and everyone - including the Crows fan - has picked up on it like it was a genuine move by the club, and that Atkins might be interested. Before we know it some material-starved journo will have seized on it and will be writing it up as a the latest trade news.

Best not to put too much credence on it until it's independently reported by someone more reputable and dependable.

Yep, as far as I can see it was only posted by MCraeBF and everyone - including the Crows fan - has picked up on it like it was a genuine move by the club, and that Atkins might be interested. Before we know it some material-starved journo will have seized on it and will be writing it up as a the latest trade news.

Best not to put too much credence on it until it's independently reported by someone more reputable and dependable.
I thought Atkins was raised a few weeks ago as well by someone reputable on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think fronkalicious said at some stage (correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t overpay for mid tier players and I’m completely on board with that idea.

Trengrove case in point (although I’m more impressed with his ruck work than his defensive efforts).

I’m not sure why we would let go of mid tiers players such as Dahl and possibly Wally and Adams, just only get in mid tier players such as Atkins in return.

Granted A graders are hard to acquire (we of all clubs should no that) but I think we have to do a better job and this and this offseason is the perfect time.

Should have the cap space to bring in an A grader (preferably a smooth moving on baller) to compliment our midfield group.
Spot on. Why would the club let Wallis go then bring in Lloyd

Spot on. Why would the club let Wallis go then bring in Lloyd

It’s about having the right mix of players from a whole list perspective.

From the naked eye I’m pretty darn sure we lack players who can’t deliver correctly into the forward line (Atkins and Rozee in) and too many grunt players (dhal and clay out)

Last edited:
It’s about having the right mix of players from a whole list perspective.

From the naked eye I’m pretty darn sure we lack players who can deliver correctly into the forward line (Atkins and Rozee in) and too many grunt players (dhal and clay out)
Don't watch Richmond's VFL games, what does Lloyd have that balances our list?

Why use a debating style that effectively says anyone disagreeing with you is being ridiculous and showing no strategic thinking?

Opportunity cost is a key reason for not keeping low ceilinged ordinary players. By keeping known quantity mediocre players like Roberts, Jong and Campbell for too long and not turning our list over enough (lowest list turnover in the league recently) means we lose the opportunity to draft better players.

If had of delisted Cambell at the end of 16 we could have drafted Tim Kelly with P159 instead.

If we had of delisted Roberts at the end of 17, we could have drafted Brodie Mihocek with P200 instead.

Its not a matter of not rating or needing fringe players. Its a matter of turning over those fringe players once we know their ceiling is low for other fringe or role players with a perceived higher ceiling.

Question is how low is the ceiling given the risk of failure with replacement? I think Jong offers enough to merit a good 10-15 games a year, therefore not clogging the list. I would qualify your definition with the concept that the list clogger is someone you absolutely don't want to play. I would have to say the evidence of the MC selection decisions over the past two seasons is that Campbell and Roberts fall into that category as they were overlooked in favour of just about anyone else to the point of going into games short in the specialties they provide.

Lloyd was just ok in the VFL Final last weekend, no goals and some kicks missing their targets. He did however, have 9 tackles which would suit Bev's criteria for a small forward. Menadue, on the other hand, looked far more impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back