Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure if living in Melbourne would suit Martin who is from Broome originally. The hustle n bustle and the weather may be deterrents. If he’s keen on a move down here I’d be keen on him as he has so much more to give looking as his flashes of brilliances. He may also be a lure for Wingard. Whether right or wrong, aboriginal players band together. Luring both may just be what we need to tap into more aboriginal talent in the future and retaining them

We’re severely lacking players with tough stickers in this team. Especially with only the choirboys left. Even if Elliot is a Mormon, the illusion of having a character would be nice. Sign him up

I like Martin's attributes but the problem I have with him is that he plays like an inside midfielder despite weighing 3kg. People see his speed and skill and marking and immediately peg him as a wingman or a forward but I don't think he has the capacity to find enough easy ball or the nous to play those positions to an elite level, respectively.

If he ever transitions on-ball full time he'll be a star for mine - given what he'll cost, though, I'm not sure I'm confident enough in that transition occurring.

Getting Wingard and Martin would turn our forward line around instantly (potentially allowing Wallis to move forward with one being in mid also). would be great for Schache and Boyd. We should go hard at them, would be like the Hawks pick up of Omeara and Mitchell a couple of years back

Come with facts or stfu
How about Tom Lynch being able to act as a million dollar "ambassador" if he stayed at Gold Coast? And that was openly admitted.

And you didn't give me an answer on those bridges. I'll get you a good deal.

Last edited:
This may sound strange, but I hope StKilda are offering Chad a little bit more than we are. If it's purely about the cash, I'd rather he go there.
Yeah I'm actually with you on this. Him chasing the money, combined with all the talk saying footy isn't his main interest, and him not performing as he proved he could early in his career over the last couple years, and Port not willing to pay him a big contract, all adds up to him getting paid very well to not try that hard. I hope if he comes to us I'm proven wrong.

I’d happily part with Adams

I’d prefer keeping him unless our medical staff believe he will continue having issues. With a complete preseason I can see him being able to hold down the full back position for years to come assuming forward line don’t go down the midget route. He showed plenty his 1st year and with a bit of luck on the injury can do again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mayes is potentially available even though he has a year to run on his contract.

I liked him in the in his draft year but have we got too many of his types on our list?

Loved him too but Lipinski is probably a better version.

Sam Mayes is potentially available even though he has a year to run on his contract.

I liked him in the in his draft year but have we got too many of his types on our list?
99.99999% wants to go to SA... and not exactly the high calibre of player that would demand massive cash to get him to Vic.

What people need to understand is if Jack Martin was in a better team and likely playing closer to his potential as a result, would be worth two first round picks or at least what we would likely pay for Wingard. The only reason we would be able to get him without giving up multiple serious assets is due to his slow-ish start to his career and going through some struggles at GC (like most of their young guys). Now is the time to target a guy like him while trade value is low and take a bit of a chance. Superstar potential and I believe even his ground floor if he doesn't eventuate to a star, will still be a really handy player for the next decade.

Its odd. Its a matter of historical fact that we built our premiership through the draft, some canny trades for other teams cast off and one 'Hail Mary' recruiting gambit that for the time was both a political and football masterstroke. The obsession with getting a big fish as a means of proving ourselves as being able to compete with the big boys or indeed becoming one of the mythical destination clubs is completely flawed and unnecessary in my view. We don't need to be bigger, we just need to be smarter. The Chad is nice icing on what is already a pretty substantial cake something thats destined to be tasty with or without him.
Agree. Pick 7 is likely to be a star in any case.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he ever transitions on-ball full time he'll be a star for mine - given what he'll cost, though, I'm not sure I'm confident enough in that transition occurring.
What do you reckon this would be? I'd anticipate a trade for him (from any club) would probably net Gold Coast something equal to pick 10-15 whilst Martin would probs receive something like 500 a year

Not saying this is a fair bargain or not, just what I suspect he'd cost

Just received some inside news regarding our trade interest. Sources are player managers that I grew up with.

Wingard - He wants a big pay day, i am hearing it is out of us and Saints. Hawks prefer Shiel and leaving Wingard as a 2nd option.

Saints are talking to everyone available and throwing desperate cash everywhere, they don't know what they want.

Shiel is favouring Hawks if they up the offer a little more. I'd say Chad will be a bulldog.

We are also showing some interest in Shiel but not enough to win him over. We are heavily inquiring about Jack Martin and Jamie Elliot.
I like Jamie Elliot if fit.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Risk involved, but I'm a fan of Elliott. He's the sort of smart moneyball pick that could pay off in spades. Could fail, but it's a gamble I think I would take.

I also hope we're talking to Jayden Hunt. JJ and Hunt off half back would be something else.

It's apples and oranges. Private 3rd party agreements like the Judd Visy deal and the Ablett Cotton On deal are much more heavily scrutinised these days as TF has said those deals are a thing of the past.
The Lynch ambassador role that he could have taken at Gold Coast is from an AFL fund for the Non-Football states to help retain marquee players. It is a way around the dismantling of the COLA. I think only Gold Coast have it, GWS and Brisbane might have it also but not sure.
They aren't really comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back