Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How’s Jono Patton’s form? Bloke has been fit and ready to play for a month and flatly refuses to. Is doing it under the guise of lack of confidence in his body but it is so clearly evident he is protecting his body while waiting until his new deal is signed.

Pretty dangerous territory for the AFL I would have thought.

How’s Jono Patton’s form? Bloke has been fit and ready to play for a month and flatly refuses to. Is doing it under the guise of lack of confidence in his body but it is so clearly evident he is protecting his body while waiting until his new deal is signed.

That's pretty shit. Starting to see US style holdouts creep into the game which is not a positive

That's pretty s**t. Starting to see US style holdouts creep into the game which is not a positive

I saw elsewhere that the Mexican standoff issue is overplayed and that both Patton and the club are okay with it? Given his extensive injury history and that his knees are shot. I believe the Giants would be okay with, and are happy to move him on. And Patton wants a fresh start. If he plays and gets even a small knee complaint, it will lower his already low trade value even more and also potentially spook other clubs away from moving for him at all, leaving both Patton and GWS in no mans land.

Last edited:
No. English isn’t far away and will be better.
Like us all,I think English is going to be a wonderful player,but saying outright at this stage that he's going to be better than Grundy is a huge call. It really sounds like Carlton talking about their prospects.

Last edited:
When Peter Gordon took up the presidency for his current tenure a few years back, he said he intended to chase big name targets hard, and make the Bulldogs a big player in the off-season. Obviously the first of those targets was Jonathan Patton, but after he did his ACL, it became Tom Boyd.

Sure, we definitely need a key defender and a gun small forward, and I certainly wouldn't be saying no to guys like Alex Keath, Jack Petruccelle, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti or Jack Martin... but with the sheer volume of funds available in our salary cap, I think we should make an highly audacious, monumentally ambitious, stupendously arrogant bid to bring in a genuine big fish: Nat Fyfe.

I remember last time his contract was starting to run down, soon eligible for free agency, he said he wasn't sure his future was at Fremantle, and wanted to be sure of their future as a serious challenger before re-signing. Then it became apparent his value declined after only 5 games in 2016, and a quiet start to 2017 so he re-signed with Fremantle long term.

Looking at Fremantle now though, they're a joke, and almost certain to stick with their boring, negative coach next year. Somewhere in Fyfe's mind, I reckon he yearns to compete for flags, and is getting impatient with Fremantle after a 4th consecutive season rotting away at the bottom. This guy would be a huge point of difference in our team as the forward/midfielder, and easily the difference between where we are now, and a consistent top 4 team. Give it a roll, Pete.

I know I'm a few days behind, but this aged well..sticking with the same boring coach...baha!

About as close to draft tampering as you can get. But hey, Clarkson can have a chat to Coniglio and try and prize him out, so anything goes I guess.

Really hoping we lock in Smith and Dale soon. Would just be as happy as landing a Martin etc if we can confirm those two blokes are locked in for the ride. Not concerned they are leaving and ITK posters have confirmed it is close but they both have that clean skills and x factor that has made our side better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done three ACLs and his housemate did his knee too.
I'd say it's just as much GWS' decision too as if he does his knee again they don't get their salary dump by getting him to Hawthorn.

About as close to draft tampering as you can get. But hey, Clarkson can have a chat to Coniglio and try and prize him out, so anything goes I guess.
He's not going into the draft, will be traded.

I think Martin is a legit big chance. Moore no chance and McDonald-Tipingwuti will re-sign at the dons.
Yep - we're 50/50 on Martin (Carlton going hard) and Keath (Hawks are into him too).

I doubt we're going to get Tippa, and I think Moore is just using the Bulldogs to up his contract value.

There will be a left field surprise though, I'm sure of it.

Yep - we're 50/50 on Martin (Carlton going hard) and Keath (Hawks are into him too).

I doubt we're going to get Tippa, and I think Moore is just using the Bulldogs to up his contract value.

There will be a left field surprise though, I'm sure of it.
I agree there'll be a left field surprise (always is), and I'm hoping it's Ollie Florent. Would really suit a need for us, wouldn't break the bank, and he's got plenty of footy ahead of him

Like us all,I think English is going to be a wonderful player,but saying outright at this stage that he's going to be better than Grundy is a huge call. It really sounds like Carlton talking about their prospects.

I just think his work around the ground will be better. Foot skills, clean off the deck, marking.

I agree there'll be a left field surprise (always is), and I'm hoping it's Ollie Florent. Would really suit a need for us, wouldn't break the bank, and he's got plenty of footy ahead of him
Would be fantastic for us, I think he'd cost our first plus a sweetener.

Would making a big play for Grundy be worth it in the long run..? I know English is going “ok” but seriously imagine if we had a elite ruckman with our midfield..
I think the trade cost and cap space would be wasted on Grundy, and I know that's a pretty strong statement. At this stage, our midfield is easily top 4, and there's good argument for considering it the best in the league, even without a dominant ruckman. Our problems lie in the two ends of the ground, not in the middle. We'd be better off making insane Godfather offers to the likes of Jeremy Cameron, Tom Papley, Tom Barrass, etc. (guys who wouldn't come to us, but may not be able to refuse the money on offer) since that would address the true weaknesses in our team of 22. Sure, Grundy would make us better, but it would be wasted considering the improvement in our midfield would do little to address the actual weaknesses in our side

Would be fantastic for us, I think he'd cost our first plus a sweetener.
At the rate we're going, I am tipping us to finish with Pick ~13 (assuming we win in the first week of finals, then lose second week to one of West Coast or Brisbane) which I'd hope would be more than enough for a straight swap. Florent was taken with Pick 11, and has been decent without blowing anyone away. I'd like to think that our first in a straight swap would be slight overs if anything, although he is contracted and apparently quite highly rated within Sydney. Not sure what kind of sweetener we could really offer tbh, considering we don't have any players of interest for them (unless Webb was interested in heading up as steak knives, but he could be DFA anyway)

I think Moore is just using the Bulldogs to up his contract value.
I don't think we'll get Moore, but if this was a contract ploy from Moore's camp it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Pickering to come out and say we haven't spoken to him.

I think the trade cost and cap space would be wasted on Grundy, and I know that's a pretty strong statement. At this stage, our midfield is easily top 4, and there's good argument for considering it the best in the league, even without a dominant ruckman. Our problems lie in the two ends of the ground, not in the middle. We'd be better off making insane Godfather offers to the likes of Jeremy Cameron, Tom Papley, Tom Barrass, etc. (guys who wouldn't come to us, but may not be able to refuse the money on offer) since that would address the true weaknesses in our team of 22. Sure, Grundy would make us better, but it would be wasted considering the improvement in our midfield would do little to address the actual weaknesses in our side
We’re 100% invested in English now. The hard part has been done, we’ve exposed him to a full season pretty much rucking solo. His development has been fast tracked. If we were going to bring in a best 22 ruck this was the year to do it. Tying up that much future cash in Grundy doesn’t make sense now, despite how good he is. I’d rather chuck 2 years at Goldy than tie up millions in Grundy. Personally I think English is closer than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back