Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree with MD this surely would not be the reason.

the reason any club pays over for a player wanted at is current club is simple, he won't come otherwise. Unless there are no other opportunities or they are limited elsewhere, to attract a player from another club you pay overs
There is the issue of attracting indigenous talent to the club, which was an issue in both Impey (Trengove's best mate) and Wingard not coming to the bulldogs.
Plus we have a bunch of NGA kids in the next two years who look very good, 'Marra at the top of that list.

It seems it's more about taking a holistic approach to recruitment, development and retention hence we have an indigenous liaison officer based in Ballarat.

There is the issue of attracting indigenous talent to the club, which was an issue in both Impey (Trengove's best mate) and Wingard not coming to the bulldogs.
Plus we have a bunch of NGA kids in the next two years who look very good, 'Marra at the top of that list.

It seems it's more about taking a holistic approach to recruitment, development and retention hence we have an indigenous liaison officer based in Ballarat.

Is Goodesy based here in Ballarat because he’s the indigenous liaison officer, or because he lives here, and was previously (and might also still be?) the club’s Ballarat engagement officer? He’s been club representative at some of the Ballarat Sons of the West events too - busy man!

Pretty sure this isn't PG's personal social agenda but rather something Grant, Power and Austin have highlighted as list management/football operations issue. When indigenous players account up to 10% of the available talent in the league (pretty sure it grows every year) if you have no strong culture (pretty sure since Kobe and Hamling left we've not had an indigenous player on our AFL list) or infrastructure for new draftees you are effectively cutting yourself off from utilising 10% of the available talent pool.

So it’s now the President who selects the list and it’s racial profile?

Sure way to success

I personally wouldn't see it like that but i don't feel like commenting further. Just adding a different view on some discussion to the apparent over's being offered to AMT and the other benefits it may provide

Is Goodesy based here in Ballarat because he’s the indigenous liaison officer, or because he lives here, and was previously (and might also still be?) the club’s Ballarat engagement officer? He’s been club representative at some of the Ballarat Sons of the West events too - busy man!
Is he even still there? I though there was a job advertisement for his replacement on the Bulldog website

Still think that is valuing Keath too high. Hamling pick 35, Adams pick 32 and a future 3rd, Roughead (who played his last game for us as a 27yo) pick in the 70's.

Our 2nd seems bang on to me.

Our 2nd will be pick 36 so I think that should get it done (excluding any priority picks)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? A large slow moving forward in his mid 20s who has done three ACLs?

They can have him and continue their Dads Army.

I get tired of the media’s constant talk of Hawthorn “steals”. How about highlighting that they gave away Duryea for a packet of chips and IMO he has had a better year than Wingard or Scully.

I tend to agree with MD this surely would not be the reason.

the reason any club pays over for a player wanted at is current club is simple, he won't come otherwise. Unless there are no other opportunities or they are limited elsewhere, to attract a player from another club you pay overs

I agree you must overpay to get someone in the door and you must be sure he is the right player. However, overpaying to get an indigenous playing in the door may be a factor, nonetheless. But not the deciding factor. If we end up going for Ugle-Hagan, it may be helpful to have an indigenous role model on the list, or if we choose to pursue other indigenous players it is helpful to have indigenous players on the list. May or may not be a reason why we missed out on Wingard.

We have plenty of salary cap space, so won't be an issue.

Last edited:
I agree you must overpay to get someone in the door and you must be sure he is the right player. However, overpaying to get an indigenous playing in the door may be a factor, nonetheless. If we end up going for Ugle-Hagan, it may be helpful to have an indigenous role model on the list, or if we choose to pursue other indigenous players it is helpful to have indigenous players on the list. May or may not be a reason why we missed out on Wingard.

Isn’t that what Brett Goodes is doing?

I agree you must overpay to get someone in the door and you must be sure he is the right player. However, overpaying to get an indigenous playing in the door may be a factor, nonetheless. If we end up going for Ugle-Hagan, it may be helpful to have an indigenous role model on the list, or if we choose to pursue other indigenous players it is helpful to have indigenous players on the list. May or may not be a reason why we missed out on Wingard.

Isn’t over paying(or under paying) someone on the basis of their race in fact racism?

Or does that only work one way?

I get the over paying part to get a guy out of another club but if it’s race driven imo then that is a disgraceful decision. Again I don’t think this is the case but imagining it is how do you think the others players would feel knowing someone was getting more money due to their race?

Go and get all the indigenous talent available but paying just to suit a diversity and quota agenda is wrong

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on em for trying to get in early, but I don’t think he will be worth that for at least a couple more years.

We paid that for Tom Boyd off 8 games experience...Smith is about to play all 22 games in his first year and will prob come top 3 in the RS

Isn’t over paying(or under paying) someone on the basis of their race in fact racism?

Or does that only work one way?

I get the over paying part to get a guy out of another club but if it’s race driven imo then that is a disgraceful decision. Again I don’t think this is the case but imagining it is how do you think the others players would feel knowing someone was getting more money due to their race?

Go and get all the indigenous talent available but paying just to suit a diversity and quota gender is wrong

Means to an end MD. Gordon is a pragmatic business man, as an organization it would suit the Dogs to have an indigenous player to be able to attract more. If that comes at a premium because of past mistakes then so be it.

Just like having more women in corporate environments is a good thing.

No it is not racism. Did you not watch the Final Quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back