Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did we get for Bernie, Barry and Brian 😲

Bernie - $70k. Think Pies were prepared to offer more, and were desperate for him. In hindsight, may have been the difference for them between 3 GF losses and 3 flags! Our club was determined he wasn't going to Pies, so he sat out part of the 78 season, I think he trained with Sandringham (as they were VFA he could have crossed there without a clearance at the time). Club officials weren't so fussed about him eventually going to Fitzroy.

Roundie - not sure we got much for him at all. He was clearly our only genuine ruck behind Dempsey in 75, but I can't remember if Goggin (with Hampshire in tow) arrived first, prompting him to look elsewhere, or he decided he needed to get out of Dempsey's shadow. As it was, at one stage at South, he was rucking with Teasdale and then Len Thompson came alone as well (in 77), so they had 3 current/future Brownlow Medallists all rucking together in one side!

Brian Lake?

Edit: correction, in 77 they had Teasdale, Round and ex-North captain Barry Goodingham in the ruck. Thommo arrived in 79 - rested forward a bit, kicking a few goals, but Roundie and Thommo shared the ruck load. Teasdale I think was injured for part of that season?

Bernie - $70k. Think Pies were prepared to offer more, and were desperate for him. In hindsight, may have been the difference for them between 3 GF losses and 3 flags! Our club was determined he wasn't going to Pies, so he sat out part of the 78 season, I think he trained with Sandringham (as they were VFA he could have crossed there without a clearance at the time). Club officials weren't so fussed about him eventually going to Fitzroy.

Roundie - not sure we got much for him at all. He was clearly our only genuine ruck behind Dempsey in 75, but I can't remember if Goggin (with Hampshire in tow) arrived first, prompting him to look elsewhere, or he decided he needed to get out of Dempsey's shadow. As it was, at one stage at South, he was rucking with Teasdale and then Len Thompson came alone as well (in 77), so they had 3 current/future Brownlow Medallists all rucking together in one side!

Brian Lake?

Brian Wilson.

Yeah I remember it was all a bit of a fire sale around that time. What a beautiful player Quinlan was.

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

This would leave (prior to further free agency compensation & bids):

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Adelaide with pick 2 (or pick 1), pick 6, pick 7 & pick 8.

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).

Thoughts?

Brian Wilson.

Yeah I remember it was all a bit of a fire sale around that time. What a beautiful player Quinlan was.

Nah, Willo was a completely different case. When Hart arrived, all the players were assessed on some fitness benchmarks, I think a lap of Flemington was the one that did him in. Hart told him he wasn't fit enough, and would be playing U19s in 1980 until his fitness improved, after playing seniors as a 16 and 17yo in 78-79. So he packed his bags and headed to North. I'm pretty sure it was a mutual parting of the ways, and no fee was involved.

Still the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen.

Actually, a magnificent all round athlete.

When I read that reply to Dogs 13 the first time, I thought you were saying it about Wilson! I briefly thought "either GDB's lost his marbles, or he's being sarcastic". Then I re-read it! Quinlan should have settled at CHF for us, but not sure how the dynamic would have worked as he kicked goals over Templeton's head!

Nah, Willo was a completely different case. When Hart arrived, all the players were assessed on some fitness benchmarks, I think Flemington was the one that did him in. Hart told him he wasn't fit enough, and would be playing U19s in 1980 until his fitness improved, after playing seniors as a 16 and 17yo in 78-79. So he packed his bags and headed to North. I'm pretty sure it was a mutual parting of the ways, and no fee was involved.

Yeah I remember the fitness test stories. He did carry some puppy fat as I recall :D

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).

Thoughts?
Don't know what we would do if that eventuated.

Is this the old bulldogs generation discussion or trade and list management thread?

We're discussing all the times we've been reamed, so you can understand why we're a little gunshy.

If we can use Dunkley to get Nathan broad and Charlie Constable I'd be happy. Add to that Jammara, Hannan and a chop out ruck and we will have a better list and better balance.

Thoughts?

Adelaide likely won't get pick 2 in compensation, but they may well get pick 21. I don't know if Adelaide will even slightly entertain trading pick 1, and fair enough if they wouldn't, but I wonder if something like this would make them consider:

Picks 6,7 and 12 for 1, 29 and 44.

That gives Adelaide picks 6,7,8, 12, 20 and 21. Amazing haul in a regular year, but I'm not convinced they'd be so thrilled in such a comprised year like this one. It'd all come down to how highly rate whoever it is they're planning to draft at pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thread.

The whole Kyle Dunkley aspect in this situation is just weird. I can’t understand it, it makes no sense. Is he really a carrot to make Josh feel at home?

Adelaide likely won't get pick 2 in compensation, but they may well get pick 21. I don't know if Adelaide will even slightly entertain trading pick 1, and fair enough if they wouldn't, but I wonder if something like this would make them consider:

Picks 6,7 and 12 for 1, 29 and 44.

That gives Adelaide picks 6,7,8, 12, 20 and 21. Amazing haul in a regular year, but I'm not convinced they'd be so thrilled in such a comprised year like this one. It'd all come down to how highly rate whoever it is they're planning to draft at pick 1.

Funny thread.

The whole Kyle Dunkley aspect in this situation is just weird. I can’t understand it, it makes no sense. Is he really a carrot to make Josh feel at home?

Yep, it is bizarre. Draft a player who's seemingly not up to the standard required, to entice his brother out of a contract that will cost a fortune to get over the line. And how long do they keep Kyle for to keep Josh happy? Until the end of Josh's career?

When I read that reply to Dogs 13 the first time, I thought you were saying it about Wilson! I briefly thought "either GDB's lost his marbles, or he's being sarcastic". Then I re-read it! Quinlan should have settled at CHF for us, but not sure how the dynamic would have worked as he kicked goals over Templeton's head!

Sorry GO, I should have said I was referring to Superboot!

Play Bernie at FF with the occasional run in the middle (ruck or mid). Move Kel to CHF.

Had we been a stable club we'd have dominated the mid to late 70s and into the 80s 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back