Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get English on a 5yr contract, I suspect his management would be after more than 700 p.a.

How would people feel if a 750/800 p.a. contract eventuates over 5 years?
I'll be honest, it would make me slightly uneasy (that's huge money), but I would feel infinitely worse if we lost English because West Coast were willing to pay that price and we weren't.

I'll be honest, it would make me slightly uneasy (that's huge money), but I would feel infinitely worse if we lost English because West Coast were willing to pay that price and we weren't.
I doubt we’d have to play the same as West Coast, just get reasonably close.

I'm more interested in who's on the table than who's staying
Do we really need to put anyone on the table? The list was close to winning a flag last year and has been hampered by injuries to key players. Our two biggest issues were ruck (filled by English) & CHB (filled by Gardner & to a lesser extent O'Brien). We have some holes in the forward line but you have to reasonably expect the key pillar issues to be solved by Bruce in the short term with JUH & Darcy in the medium & long term.

We still should be in the market for a key defender but I don't think we to do anything crazy. JJ & Hunter are probably the two with some currency we could dangle if we had to lose best 22 players.

Any credible word on English signing, or just Tom Browne?

I'd pay $700k for English, easily. Second rucks are going for AFL average salary, and that's skewed by stars (the mean is less).

We were paying either that or more for each year of Keath's contact

I'd pay $700k for English, easily. Second rucks are going for AFL average salary, and that's skewed by stars (the mean is less).

I usually trust Ralphy. Plus mark Steven’s also said he was confident.

I'd pay 700 too Mofra, but while (and I'm only guessing given it's a nominal figure and I'm not sure of its origins) 700 is hopefully appealing to English and his management for a 2year extension, I suspect enticing a signature on a 5year contract will require more $$$.

How much would you be prepared to pay p.a. if there is a possibility of signing him up for 5 years rather than 2?

No doubt Smith has some work to do on his disposal but I strongly disagree with your point on Dale, he's been outstanding. He takes calculated risks with his kicking but the benefits significantly outweigh the downside when they, rarely, don't pay off.
Not disagreeing. Just a couple stick out to me that either directly cost us a goal against or cost us a shot on. That being said, he is kicking at 80 odd %. Just a couple of frustrating times where better options were on.

Bombres are apparently offering Marshall a ruck/forward role at $750k a season, so there’s some comparison

Caleb Daniel’s next contract going down each game now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have the cap to bring in anyone this year? Some lesser likes like Payne etc?

We should have. We need to lose Dunkley or Daniel and then someone like JJ could be let go, or get half than what he’s been getting the last few years

Needed to wait. We need currency.
I’m honestly torn about spending big money on him to be honest. Dale seems to have moved past him and Ed is improving big time. Daniel has been reasonably average this season. Williams & Caleb live together and are both SA boys, I’m not entirely opposed to exploring options.

I’m honestly torn about spending big money on him to be honest. Dale seems to have moved past him and Ed is improving big time. Daniel has been reasonably average this season. Williams & Caleb live together and are both SA boys, I’m not entirely opposed to exploring options.

I’d move him on. But we won’t.

Is this unbalanced list Bevos or Powers fault?
A combination of both?

All this chat about targeting specific players seems pointless to me when we haven’t recognised our list shortcomings

A combination of both?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its a great question no one but someone high up in our football department can answer. Speculation is Bevo is a tyrant and has big say over who we draft and trade (or don't draft/trade) and his a big reason why Dalrymple left as he wasn't happy with Bevo, take it with a grain of salt.

Someone does need to cop the blame tho for our lack of talls on the list.

A combination of both?

All this chat about targeting specific players seems pointless to me when we haven’t recognised our list shortcomings

Neither at fault imo. Jamarra and Darcy have hurt us in terms of trading and it’s going to take a few years to see those benefits.

In saying that, drafting McComb is probably on the coach.

Its a great question no one but someone high up in our football department can answer. Speculation is Bevo is a tyrant and has big say over who we draft and trade (or don't draft/trade) and his a big reason why Dalrymple left as he wasn't happy with Bevo, take it with a grain of salt.

Someone does need to cop the blame tho for our lack of talls on the list.

I know after a lost you see at lot problems. Some may be spot on, others harsh.
Atm I see the list, injury management and a silent president as major issues

I know after a lost you see at lot problems. Some may be spot on, others harsh.
Atm I see the list, injury management and a silent president as major issues

President never says a thing. Honestly can’t remember the last time I even saw her.

Neither at fault imo. Jamarra and Darcy have hurt us in terms of trading and it’s going to take a few years to see those benefits.

In saying that, drafting McComb is probably on the coach.
Too simplistic to blame top picks. Plenty of cheap rucks and defenders available.
Eg Casboult would have done a job for us. We lost Young a tall but drafted more midfielders and half backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back