Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year the media applauded Essendon for rejecting Sydney's first and future first for a cooked Daniher who was a year off free agency.

This year the dogs are being difficult for not accepting one first rounder for a 23 year old gun with 2 years on a contract who would still need to be traded at the end of those 2 years.
Goddard& Lloyd would put a price on this!!
if we would ring trade radio and asked what Merrett would be worth it would be 2 top 10 picks and Dunkley as his contracted also was held at gun point to stay

By going to Essendon you sign up to being f**king damn near impossible to be traded.

Hope Dunkley enjoys getting reamed in 3 years time when he requests a trade out due to the club sucking and Bombers ask for 2 first rounders and a Brownlow medalist.

They got Brian Lake at the age of 30, and showed him the door at 33.
Stefan Martin is already 34.
Right - but my point is they took a punt on a old player with question marks because he filled a need even though his original club didn't really value him anymore

Sorry, I was under the impression we were a club with a modicum of ambition, that chased players who helped us win flags, not a club that picks up old farts from the lost property bin. My mistake.
Dude you’re seriously underrating Martin. He was very close to elite as recently as last season. Unlucky with collision injuries this year. He’ll be a good contributor for us

By going to Essendon you sign up to being f**king damn near impossible to be traded.

Hope Dunkley enjoys getting reamed in 3 years time when he requests a trade out due to the club sucking and Bombers ask for 2 first rounders and a Brownlow medalist.
Dunkley just wants to cruise along and collect his $$. Onfield performance isn't even a factor or he'd go somewhere half decent. Culture excuse is garbage too. Just ask Andrew.

Assistant of the year is voted by players and staff it has absolutely zero to do with competence and is more a popularity contest.

Gia was a peaheart footy player, I couldn’t stand him but that has no bearing on his ability to take nearly every line he touched backwards including being “moved” assignments half way through 17 because he made such a mess.

Him going is the biggest positive so far in this off season by a mile
I'm sure dud coaches are popular and are poached by other clubs.

I'm not even saying he's a superstar coach, but to suggest an unknown quantity would make a better one is a bit far fetched.

At least you waited until the second line to call him a peaheart. That sort of restraint obviously means it doesn't sway your opinion of him as a coach.

Sorry, I was under the impression we were a club with a modicum of ambition, that chased players who helped us win flags, not a club that picks up old farts from the lost property bin. My mistake.
Can I just point out that you're arguing this in favour of Brandon f***ing Pruess.

I'm sure dud coaches are popular and are poached by other clubs.

I'm not even saying he's a superstar coach, but to suggest an unknown quantity would make a better one is a bit far fetched.

At least you waited until the second line to call him a peaheart. That sort of restraint obviously means it doesn't sway your opinion of him as a coach.

His coaching career has zero to do with his soft playing career.

And again look at his roles and how he has taken them all backwards and then suggest it’s only because I didn’t like him as a player.

Right - but my point is they took a punt on a old player with question marks because he filled a need even though his original club didn't really value him anymore
It's not so much taking a punt when you're picking up a two-time all-australian, and was the best fullback in the league only two years prior.

Dude you’re seriously underrating Martin. He was very close to elite as recently as last season. Unlucky with collision injuries this year. He’ll be a good contributor for us
Underrating him? I have never doubted his ability when at his best for Brisbane. The problem is he's 34 and sharply declining, which any Brisbane supporter will attest to.

Maybe if our genius coach saw the value in ruckmen less than 6 years into his tenure, we wouldn't be throwing a lifeline to an ancient dinosaur.

Payed professionals have a fair idea what they are going then any of us on a bigfooty forum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just point out that you're arguing this in favour of Brandon f***ing Pruess.
Any club will take Preuss right now over a 34 year old Stefan Martin. Not exactly drawing a long now there.

Mind you, I never would've delisted Will Minson in 2016 (only a year older than Martin), but Luke thought he had it all figured out that ruckmen weren't valuable in the modern era.

You'd want to bring in someone who's never coached over a bloke that got voted the best assistant?

Gee whiz, there's still some that hold on to grudges they had against Gia as a player.

I'm all for Martin as a player/mentor by the way.
I loved him as a player, in his prime would be the ideal to walk in right now and make a huge difference.

Unfortunately for Gia he hasnt been outside Whitten oval since 1999, and the "award" was voted for by Bevo...

Port also standing firm that Fantasia is worth a second round pick, which he is based on injury history and glimpses of talent.

Essendon just need to be banned from trade week so things can get done, ffs

Payed professionals have a fair idea what they are going then any of us on a bigfooty forum
Luke Beveridge is a paid professional, and thought it was a good idea to play Josh Dunkley as the #1 ruckman against Geelong...

Based on new ideas, and someone that has experienced life outside the Kennel since 1999
Because that worked so wonderfully well with Brendan McCartney...

Do tend to agree that if our objective was to get mature cover (or help) for Timmy, then Preuss would have been a better option. Hope we at least asked the question

As others have said Martin will be valuable for English and even Sweets development.
Don't need to play him every game.And he comes cheap.You didn't need Pruess replacing English.Just a hard body to help him take some of the impact....

PS Dodoro and Essendon should be charged or at least fined for bringing the trade week into disrepute.Other players that aren't big names suffer from all the hesitation and stalling these rocket scientists or psychologists cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back