Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like Ess' future first and Carlton's future 1st. Unlikely as I'd imagine that Adrian does not want to trade their future first as they may well bottom out next year. Reckon Sam has the balls to make it happen, as long as our club leaves him to it. Don't want Bev shooting his mouth off about Dunks or Chris Grant 'saving the day' with a last minute Schache type deal.

Pretty luke warm on Treloar. I don't buy that the Pies are treating him so poorly over a big contract. Hope our club does its due diligence.
Sam Power and his plumbs. Big enough for you? 7C8DDD4E-BD48-46BD-9469-A62858CF4102.jpeg

Any report of Beveridge being "done" with 23 year old Dunkley would show a complete lack of emotional maturity and forward thinking by the 50 year old man at the head of our club.
This in my opinion would be a sackable offense.
However I choose to believe that it's about as true as his dislike of premiership hero Tom Boyd.

He is also 1 or 2 in possessions per game and contested possessions per game - you will naturally have more turnovers if you are getting the ball more than anyone else in the comp.

In a vacuum Treloar makes our team better - zero question on that. Some of the commentary in here about how much of a butcher he is and questioning work rate has me scratching my head. As a player he is almost exactly what out midfield is lacking (Josh Kelly would be a better fit but thats not happening).
But there is a risk in terms of salary and health, i back the club to make the right call either way
If we were to get him I'd be hoping he could transition onto a wing. Would mean less possessions but ideally the extra time will mean his disposal efficiency goes up. Still prefer we don't have that kind of contract on our books though

He's 34 and fluffed all his disposals in the prelim. I'm not holding my breath.
You are basing that on one game. He was coming back from stress fractures and obviously wasn't at his best. At full fitness he has been a very good player at Brisbane and having him there for a couple of years could be huge for English and also Sweet. Always a bit of a risk picking up someone at that age, but worth taking it for what Martin brings to the table.

I appreciate it because it means I can see the funny parts but also don't have to listen. These people are heroes.

Good point. I too shall honour the selfless sacrifice that members of this board are willing to make on behalf of the sane.

Last edited:
Dunkley is a better player than Shiel, not by much but for the bombers Dunkley will definately be their best mid and more of a leader that Shiel. Add in finals and premiership experience at a young age AND being contracted. They payed two 1sts with a low 2nd rounder coming back for Shiel. Going by that two 1st rounders is the minimum. How hard is that to see by these so called experts, or do they choose not too.

Additionally if you picked up Dunkley with the #1 pick you would be pretty happy. So what would they pay for a #1 pick. Obviously two 1st rounders

Last edited:
Think of him as a playing ruck coach who cost nothing.
How about just a regular ruck coach? Then give the player list spot to someone with a better chance of contributing in the forthcoming years like a Preuss.
I guess Beveridge shot down that idea early for making too much sense. That and his irrational hatred of slow ruckmen

I look at Martin coming in as a Coach first, the fact that he can still play is an absolute bonus.

If you'd said we would trade out Gia for Martin in the coaching ranks id take that in a heartbeat.
Based on what? Martin's non-existent coaching credentials?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we’ll get a player determined to prove a point. Could have his best year ever.

By the way, amazing how many trolls...I mean ‘draftees’ are putting the slows on Treloar today. 🤔
Level 2 member for 15 years but that doesn't suit your narrative. I wouldn't touch Treloar with a barge pole, but the best of luck to him and I think the Pies have treated him appallingly.

You are basing that on one game. He was coming back from stress fractures and obviously wasn't at his best. At full fitness he has been a very good player at Brisbane and having him there for a couple of years could be huge for English and also Sweet. Always a bit of a risk picking up someone at that age,
Ask any Brisbane supporter and they will tell you Martin was nowhere near his best all year. He's clearly on the decline, which is why Brisbane than happy to cut him.
We have a list that should be good enough to contend for flags, why should we be feeding off other teams 34 year old scraps? Just because Tim English still struggles badly doesn't mean to should be bringing in a 34 year old.

but worth taking it for what Martin brings to the table.
His pensioner card?

My biggest hope with Martin is that he will teach English how to be competitive in more ruck contests
You expect him to teach him how to squat and deadlift? You'd think Tim would've listened to one of the fitness coaches by now, unless Beveridge overruled them on the basis it might compromise his mobility. Wouldn't want another all-austr-, I mean crap slow ruckman like Will Minson now, would we?

I think Sweet could develop well under Martin’s guidance. Instead of English and Sweet taking the ruck contests against each other in match sim, they can swap out against Martin and get some reliable experience rucking against someone quality. Plus it’d give them both more time in the forward line in match sim, to develop (Sweet) and refine (English) their forward craft.

We have a list that should be good enough to contend for flags

Just because Tim English still struggles badly
2 excellent reasons for why Stef Martin makes sense.

Would you prefer him or Brad Lynch/Billy Gowers as the 38th player on our list when potentially competing for a flag over the next year or two, given English's current deficiencies?

He will play games and in all likelihood make us a better team when he does.

I think Sweet could develop well under Martin’s guidance. Instead of English and Sweet taking the ruck contests against each other in match sim, they can swap out against Martin and get some reliable experience rucking against someone quality. Plus it’d give them both more time in the forward line in match sim, to develop (Sweet) and refine (English) their forward craft.
Are we now pretending Jordon Sweet, a 0 gamer, speculative pick from the rookie draft, has an even 10% chance of making it at AFL level? Let alone becoming a good enough ruckman for a contending team?

Perhaps we should've read the memo before delisting say, Eddie Prato; he just needed more time to develop...

Ask any Brisbane supporter and they will tell you Martin was nowhere near his best all year. He's clearly on the decline, which is why Brisbane than happy to cut him.
We have a list that should be good enough to contend for flags, why should we be feeding off other teams 34 year old scraps? Just because Tim English still struggles badly doesn't mean to should be bringing in a 34 year old.

His pensioner card?
Naturally at that age he is past his prime but he can still be a solid contributor. Like Roughead was in 2016 when they won a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back