Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that, between them, Lynch, Cox and Reid have a grand total of 22 goals to their name for 2021 shows that finding a temporary replacement for Bruce is much easier said than done.
If we address the ruck situation, I think we’ll be fine up forward with some enormous potential. I honestly could see all of Naughton, English, JUH & Weightman kicking 30+ next year with all 24 years and under. It will be a massive pre-season for Jamarra to get his body right to withstand a full year of AFL football.

If we cannot land anyone else who could fit right in Cox is s no brainer. Is a better ruckman than English and has been sitting behind the best ruckman of the past few years in Grundy. Can play forward But is limited. Don’t expect much but he is better than what we have and would make us a better team.
Hah no. This year he wasn't even bought in when Grundy was injured and went with Lynch. That's how far behind the ruck/forward order he is now. Even Ruscoe was ahead of him. He'll be delisted shortly anyways.

If he gets back to his 2018 form, he'd be next year's Hickey (well, a ruck/forward version, anyway).

This below vid of his 2018 highlights is long (very long), and only involves a handful of examples of him in the ruck, but his bodywork and ruck craft seems fine. Shows quite a bit of mongrel and arrogance too, which perhaps we're also missing a bit of.

Is he a free agent? For a two year deal for approx the average AFL wage, I'd have no dramas at all - I think he'd complement Engish well.

The thing with him is as he rests forward he only needs to take 3 or so marks and you'll likely get two goals out of him. He's big enough to be a competent tap ruckman and he does have a bit of mongrel too him aswell.

Add to this, he plays well against the Tigers which is always good.

Last edited:

If he gets back to his 2018 form, he'd be next year's Hickey (well, a ruck/forward version, anyway).

This below vid of his 2018 highlights is long (very long), and only involves a handful of examples of him in the ruck, but his bodywork and ruck craft seems fine. Shows quite a bit of mongrel and arrogance too, which perhaps we're also missing a bit of.

Is he a free agent? For a two year deal for approx the average AFL wage, I'd have no dramas at all - I think he'd complement Engish well.

You're right about only a few examples of ruckwork - almost none. The other point to make is that Cox hasn't played as well as the highlights we see in the clip for a couple of years now. Also, he averages 4 hitouts per game in the last 4 years which is not a great sign that he will improve our ruck stocks. Granted, he has played mostly as a forward but it's a genuine 1st ruck we need.

If we address the ruck situation, I think we’ll be fine up forward with some enormous potential. I honestly could see all of Naughton, English, JUH & Weightman kicking 30+ next year with all 24 years and under. It will be a massive pre-season for Jamarra to get his body right to withstand a full year of AFL football.
This, I don’t have a problem going in without finding a tall forward. Those 3 should be good enough to hold down the main 3 spots, Weightman will be a great small forward as easy as next year and while we have to find the right mix there’s a heap of potential in the other smalls we’ll run through there. And Schache/Young is probably equal to most teams 4th/5th KPF depth, with Darcy developing behind them. It all just hinges on the ruck though

You're right about only a few examples of ruckwork - almost none. The other point to make is that Cox hasn't played as well as the highlights we see in the clip for a couple of years now. Also, he averages 4 hitouts per game in the last 4 years which is not a great sign that he will improve our ruck stocks. Granted, he has played mostly as a forward but it's a genuine 1st ruck we need.
This really needs the context of having Grundy in front of him for almost every single one of those games across the last few years.

Their ruck coach at the time, Matt Rendell has said he has every confidence Cox could be a first ruck.

When he seemingly did play a few games with a fair bit of time in ruck a few years ago, his numbers seemed pretty good - a couple of games with 20 hitouts, one with over 40. And that was when he was in his first 20 senior games and still learning the caper.

Not only that, Cox still typically popped up for a goal or two in those games.

Screenshot_20210825-163512.jpg

If there's many 'perfect' options available, with significant stats and form behind them, not contracted, and won't cost a kings ransom to get across, I'd love to know about them.

Otherwise we'll need to find someone from the not quite perfect bin, someone who will at least halve ruck contests and hopefully offer a few other strengths that complement the list, and be attainable on the cheaper side.

Guys, we have to get knocked out of finals before the "lets name every player that was just delisted by a worse club than us and talk him up" stage of this thread is right to go, stop jumping the gun.

I wanted Cox last year, still want him. He's a better ruck than forward but didn't have much chance with Grundy there. Having that versatility gives us an extra edge.

Have we got to the posting 4 year old highlights of a player portion of the year already? My how time flies.
It was the only highlight package that included some examples of his ruck work - there's also highlight packages of his 2020 season, including when he broke the game open in an away final v West Coast about 10 months ago.

Is logging in to make comments that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion a much better way to go?

It was the only highlight package that included some examples of his ruck work - there's also highlight packages of his 2020 season, including when he broke the game open in an away final v West Coast about 10 months ago.

Is logging in to make comments that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion a much better way to go?
He would of been playing this season if he was still as good as he was then. Stinks of a Hannan scenario. Dont know want another Hannan pick up. Dogs have a chance to trade Lipinski to collingwood for Lynch anyways.

Things are never as bad as they seem until Mason Cox becomes a serious subject of recruitment around here.

Unless he's injured, there is a good reason that two coaches have left him out of their plans for the majority of the season.

Give yourselves a massive uppercut and repent.

Compare the pair.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 6.19.53 pm.png

Last edited:
Things are never as bad as they seem until Mason Cox because a serious subject of recruitment around here.

Unless he's injured, there is a good reason that two coaches have left him out of their plans for the majority of the season.

Give yourselves a massive uppercut and repent.

Compare the pair.

View attachment 1216620
Can you add Hickey in 2020 to that comparison?

And also the amount of the people on here who would have thought picking up Hickey in November 2020 would have been utterly absurd?

I'm not saying Cox is a saviour. I acknowledge that he may turn out to be rubbish. However I also think at his best, he could a great value pick up for the short term, who also has a habit of lifting for finals. A budget option that may well be the player that we need.

Which are your obtainable, go-to options for a ruckman this off-season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An issue is making zero moves will end up in the same result.

If - if, we had played Lewis Young in either CHB or ruck all season, you could possibly argue we need only one recruit for next year - but Bevo has cocked this up by not giving him a consistent run in a single position.

Can you add Hickey in 2020 to that comparison?

And also the amount of the people on here who would have thought picking up Hickey in November 2020 would have been utterly absurd?

I'm not saying Cox is a saviour. I acknowledge that he may turn out to be rubbish. However I also think at his best, he could a great value pick up for the short term, who also has a habit of lifting for finals. A budget option that may well be the player that we need.

Which are your obtainable, go-to options for a ruckman this off-season?
Because Hickey, Cox is a hell of an argument.

People can use their eyes and determine differences with players.

I don't think people are criticising getting a ruck who has barely gotten a game this year. The very player that Hickey pushed out in Callum Sinclair could very well be that player for us.

Because Cox, Cox is my argument.

The thing with him is as he rests forward he only needs to take 3 or so marks and you'll likely get two goals out of him. He's big enough to be a competent tap ruckman and he does have a bit of mongrel too him aswell.

Add to this, he plays well against the Tigers which is always good.

If it was that easy Ayce Cordy would still be on our list...lol

I wanted Cox last year, still want him. He's a better ruck than forward but didn't have much chance with Grundy there. Having that versatility gives us an extra edge.

So you are saying you are a massive fan of big Cox and have wanted big Cox for a long time?

The biggest issue is that ready to go rucks would be in high demand and some clubs will pay a premium to nab one, I don’t know how tight things are with our cap but if we can get one in, it would be great.

Mumford is retiring but GWS have Flynn, Briggs & Preuss so I think at least 1 will depart.

General consensus is Ceglar is a possibility, but McEvoy is about cooked and Reeves has played what, 3 games? Doubt the Hawks would want to let him go.

If Hayes is set to play more for Port, I’d ask the question about Lycett before Ladhams.

Outside of that is slim pickings from the top of my head, the biggest issue is that Bevo has a certain role in mind for a ruckman that they need to be versatile. We just need someone that can be physical and competive in the ruck, but can also be a target or fill in a hole.

Cox can sure fill a hole, but can’t see him being a #1 ruck able to get around the ground. Need stamina in the clinches.

I've said it maybe 20 times on this thread.

Brodie Grundy's quality held Mason's career back.

He's also better at bracing for impact when he can anticipate it. Far more easy to do when you are running directly into the opposition ruckman instead of being nudged under the ball by the key defender.

If he's on our list next year he plays 15-18 games. Meanwhile we waste spots on Hayes etc.

Contributing nothing is still far better than the negative impact of suggesting Mason Cox for the four millionth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back