Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad he missed 2016. He deserved it.

Just heartwarming to read his words and Bevo's when we've had our share of bitter individuals leave in the past decade who have done nothing but s*** on the club since (Cooney, Akermanis etc).
Kinda don’t blame Aker, we knew what we were getting in and then tried to change him. Feel we missed out on a year or 2 of some more of his brilliance. He put bums on seats and could have put more if allowed to do his thing

By all reports clubs are trying to get out of this draft - Twomey has the draft ending after a very low ~50ish selections - so I think we're unlikely to take four draftees. I think Butler will probably end up either signed for a year or pushed to the rookie list. We've lost a best 22 wing and he was on the edge of AFL selection this past season. I don't see a lot in him but we're in a tough position with those outside-leaning endurance runners. We're running out.

If the draft was good I would have a different stance. I get the argument re: cycling the list...but there's a very real possibility that Butler is scouted as the best player at a rookie pick (which will come out as around the 70th best player in this draft).
Yeah with another 1st rounder next year on top of it apparently being a better draft, surely we arrange to have list spots available next year rather than this.

Even if Butler's not better than we would get at pick 70 this year, maybe we'd rather him on 1 year than pick 70 on 2 years.

Kinda don’t blame Aker, we knew what we were getting in and then tried to change him. Feel we missed out on a year or 2 of some more of his brilliance. He put bums on seats and could have put more if allowed to do his thing
Exactly. We had nuffies that were very average players telling a 3 time premiership, 1 time brownlow medallist how to behave. Turn it up.
Some of the people we had running the show could only dream of doing what Aker had done and they were worried about a handstand or a few media articles.
It's time we learned to adapt and improve rather than worry about players that think outside the box.

We made the Grand Final in 2021, do you think we should have won every year? we have done as much in the last 6 years as we had done in our history previously.
Hard taskmaster.
We should not benchmark against our tragic underperforming history. The management of the club was a basket case for 30 Plus years. We need to benchmark against the best not the worst.Our management over the past 20 years has been very good and Bevo got lucky wit’s some great recruiters and financial stability.

Such a good farewell message from Wally 🥺 what a ****ing bloke man, absolute icon of the modern day club IMO.

Sad day but I’m positive this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Wally at the club, happy for him to go elsewhere whether it’s as a player or development coach to round out his experience but I’m sure we’ll see him return one day possibly even as a senior coach, he’d make a great one

Yeah with another 1st rounder next year on top of it apparently being a better draft, surely we arrange to have list spots available next year rather than this.

Even if Butler's not better than we would get at pick 70 this year, maybe we'd rather him on 1 year than pick 70 on 2 years.
I think there will still be enough turnover next year to satisfy another decent turnover - there is a LOT of deadwood still on the list.

Quite possibly Keath & Doc might hang them up possibly even Bruce whose OOC - then there’s Crozier, Hannan, McComb, Parker & O’Brien who at this stage should be certainties really unless they dramatically improve. I don’t think Sweet will stay past his contract next year if he doesn’t play. Rourke Smith OOC, inevitably someone will probably be traded.

I get where you’re coming from but not a concern for mine, plus that pick 70 would likely be a rookie selection meaning it’s a one year deal anyway

By all reports clubs are trying to get out of this draft - Twomey has the draft ending after a very low ~50ish selections - so I think we're unlikely to take four draftees. I think Butler will probably end up either signed for a year or pushed to the rookie list. We've lost a best 22 wing and he was on the edge of AFL selection this past season. I don't see a lot in him but we're in a tough position with those outside-leaning endurance runners. We're running out.

If the draft was good I would have a different stance. I get the argument re: cycling the list...but there's a very real possibility that Butler is scouted as the best player at a rookie pick (which will come out as around the 70th best player in this draft).
Maybe so but that pick would be a rookie selection so you can take a punt on someone with high potential on a 1yr contract, even in weak drafts clubs tend to still use the rookie draft.

Could even be a state league defender or something. I get we’re short on wingers but geez there’d have to be a lot go wrong for Butler to play next year, there’s just no point him staying on the list any further IMO

Safe to say if Butler is getting games next year then our years shot anyway, I’d prefer to get a year of development into someone with a bit of upside - still plenty of deadwood to cut next year too

We made the Grand Final in 2021, do you think we should have won every year? we have done as much in the last 6 years as we had done in our history previously.
Hard taskmaster.
Maybe I am.
But an argument of "we sucked so bad previously you should be be happy we only suck a little bit" isn't all that persuasive.

I want us to be a major force. It seems that is a minority opinion amongst our support group.

We should not benchmark against our tragic underperforming history. The management of the club was a basket case for 30 Plus years. We need to benchmark against the best not the worst.Our management over the past 20 years has been very good and Bevo got lucky wit’s some great recruiters and financial stability.
Why do you (and others) need to say ‘lucky’ ? Every team that wins the flag has some sort of good fortune. In our case it was an inspired effort to get the best out of the side and the club as well as some good fortune.. or luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man’s a toser. My son played with him after his career and he was an arseh*le and extremely nasty towards the dogs in particular to anyone who’d give him 5 minutes. Told my son to pick another team to follow as they were perennial losers and upset him a lot.

The flip side is we might be able to cash in on teams looking to trade out. Perhaps our future second gets us another late first rounder this year.
The list is in desperate need of a refresh and there are still plenty we can cut at the end of next year.

Man’s a toser. My son played with him after his career and he was an arseh*le and extremely nasty towards the dogs in particular to anyone who’d give him 5 minutes. Told my son to pick another team to follow as they were perennial losers and upset him a lot.
That's no good. It seemed petty that he was reprimanded for doing handstands etc but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

on_the_buses_stan.jpg

Maybe so but that pick would be a rookie selection so you can take a punt on someone with high potential on a 1yr contract, even in weak drafts clubs tend to still use the rookie draft.

Could even be a state league defender or something. I get we’re short on wingers but geez there’d have to be a lot go wrong for Butler to play next year, there’s just no point him staying on the list any further IMO

Safe to say if Butler is getting games next year then our years shot anyway, I’d prefer to get a year of development into someone with a bit of upside - still plenty of deadwood to cut next year too
This is a pretty surprising stance on a 21yo with two years in the system (and one AFL game) TBH. His game at AFL level this year was not good but his VFL form was consistently good-very good in a variety of roles. He is a limited footballer but has quality running power and accumulation on the outside without compromising on defence - and he has good size. As I said, I don't expect him to make it because his weaknesses are limiting but you need depth across the ground. ATM Roarke Smith looks like being a first-choice wing unless we play guys like Treloar/Smith/Williams in secondary positions. That's a problem.

To be frank with you, the idea to "take a punt on someone with high potential on a 1yr contract" gets us nowhere because if a player is available at pick 70 in a bad draft they either (1) don't have high potential; or (2) are a long way off AFL ready and won't benefit from only one year. Arty Jones is a good example here - he is so far off AFL level based on his VFL form it isn't funny, and Butler is clearly ahead of him in the pecking order. We've already lost one wing that's clearly ahead of him. If you're worried about what it says about our season if Butler is getting games...what would it say about our season if Jones is, provided he doesn't rapidly improve?

I'm not really fussed whether he is delisted or not TBH, but I think there is a reasonable argument against booting him given the circumstances.

Butler's VFL form was solid this year. He can hit the scoreboard too. Not the worst option to keep on the list I guess.

I'll be flabbergasted if Martin still holds a list position over Wallis. Martin needs to be poked with a fork he's that cooked

Jordan Sweet has one year left on his contract, and has now spent 3 seasons at the club on the rookie list. Under normal rookie rules, after 3 years a rookie either needs to be promoted or go back through the rookie draft to be retained on that list (like Roake did twice already).

In 2022 they did allow for a 4th rookie year (AFL confirms 2022 list sizes, tweaks rule for rookies). Does anyone know if that's still the case for 2023? Could otherwise impact the club's main list/rookie list structure and the spots we have open for the two drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back