Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahh supporter trades. Where they think the solution to getting a superstar is to just add more potatoes.

To the Pies board - where I'll suggest Hannan, McComb, Smith and Garcia for N Daicos....

Schultz would be a great acquisition but the fact that he has another year on his contract and would be a FA in 2024 is annoying. Freo would want something pretty decent in return for him.

To the Pies board - where I'll suggest Hannan, McComb, Smith and Garcia for N Daicos....

Believe it or not, I've had Pies supporters suggest trades like that.

Eg, many years ago, they wanted Scotty West.

Example of trades suggested: West for Tyson Lane, Rupert Betherras (neither best 22) and another seconds player.

"That's gotta be fair. You're getting 3 players for one!" :rolleyes:

Poor bloke didn't even realise they'd traded in Lane from the Dogs in the first place...:p

Last edited:
Pretty happy with Caleb Poulter for game #2.

Another 4 score involvements (after 5 last week), 4 intercepts, 387 metres gained (behind only Daniel and Bont) and a lovely goal from outside 50 adds up to a solid contribution. Ran his butt off all night too.

Reckon our list management group have done really well post trade/draft period.

Adding 3 youngish guys in positions of need (Baker, O'Donnell and Poulter) for nothing has been solid work.
He's a prime example of why keeping the last spot open for Footscray players works.

Poulter knew we did this and its exactly why he came to Footscray.

The only question is how long we keep them on the main list. I think we need to be a little more aggressive assessing them when they do get promoted. We tend to hand onto guys who've come through this pathway a little too long when it's obvious that they won't make the jump.
Robbo saying the same thing about a new environment for Baz in his likes & dislikes.
Yet more evidence that journo's scour the lowest parts of the internet to pad out their content.

Arty Jones has just turned 20 and has played a couple of senior games. Bit early to write him off. He'll improve.
I love his enthusiasm and ability to bring a degree of pressure that can be somewhat lacking in our forward line. But has he shown any attributes beyond that. Or shown any real signs that he can be a ball winning goal kicking small forward?

There is a spot wide open for him if he can, but I have my doubts. Because I haven't seen a game at either level where he he's shown more than glimpses of talent, but that only what gets you onto a list, being able to transition that to the VFL and then the AFL is the difficult part.

Example of trades suggested: West for Tyson Lane, Rupert Betherras (neither best 22) and another seconds player.

"THat's gotta be fair. You're getting 3 players for one!" :rolleyes:

Poor bloke didn't even realise they'd traded in Lane from the Dogs in the first place...:p
All Bigfooty veterans have seen enough of these types of trades scenarios to build a solid 30 minute standup comedy routine on.

Last edited:
He's a prime example of why keeping the last spot open for Footscray players works.

Poulter knew we did this and its exactly why he came to Footscray.

The only question is how long we keep them on the main list. I think we need to be a little more aggressive assessing them when they do get promoted. We tend to hand onto guys who've come through this pathway a little too long when it's obvious that they won't make the jump.

I've said it a few times, we should be using our friends in the media to drop articles that highlight that we do draft and recruit from Footscray VFL and that any potential "insert position of need here" type players should get themselves down there to follow on from McComb, Poulter, Gardner etc - as we do have a history of recruiting from within - be it mid-season or main AFL draft.

If we did this each pre-season - we'd have a better chance of filling any list spots that we have sooner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it a few times, we should be using our friends in the media to drop articles that highlight that we do draft and recruit from Footscray VFL and that any potential "insert position of need here" type players should get themselves down there to follow on from McComb, Poulter, Gardner etc - as we do have a history of recruiting from within - be it mid-season or main AFL draft.

If we did this each pre-season - we'd have a better chance of filling any list spots that we have sooner.
I reckon that player managers would be well aware of our use of Footscray.

I presume that other clubs do much the same. Geelong certainly seem to get good value form their VFL squad.

It seems pretty clear that Poulter and his management correctly identified a weekness in our list and targeted our club. Its also a pretty clever strategy for a guy who'd quickly found himself on the scrapheap only to resurrect his chance of continuing his career pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I reckon that player managers would be well aware of our use of Footscray.

I presume that other clubs do much the same. Geelong certainly seem to get good value form their VFL squad.

It seems pretty clear that Poulter and his management correctly identified a weekness in our list and targeted our club. Its also a pretty clever strategy for a guy who'd quickly found himself on the scrapheap only to resurrect his chance of continuing his career pretty quickly.
Poulter seemed pretty pleased with how the plan has worked out for him.
Did you notice him grab the jumper after he goaled?

Seems like decent young fellow that the Crisp family love too.
🧡 the jumper.

I did. Like all recruits, I hope he can make the most of his opportunity.

2nd chances aren't all that common in a game that chews up and spits out players at the rate that the AFL does.

"That's gotta be fair. You're getting 3 players for one!" :rolleyes:

I remember Rupert Betheras.
One of the kings of Collingwood hype along with Mark McGough. Superstars on par with Brad Johnson and Scott West they were. At least in the delusional minds of Collingwood supporters and their media cheerleaders.

People talk about the club being brave and trading Baz. I'm not silly enough to not listen to offers, but I highly doubt I'd do it.

If the club wants to be brave, what they really need to do is bite the bullet and move him into the midfield and leave him there to be our burst player. Move Ads to a wing or HHF and start phasing into the new era of midfielders. Add to this the new guys we pick up in the Draft.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

People talk about the club being brave and trading Baz. I'm not silly enough to not listen to offers, but I highly doubt I'd do it.

If the club wants to be brave, what they really need to do is bite the bullet and move him into the midfield and leave him there to be our burst player. Move Ads to a wing or HHF and start phasing into the new era of midfielders. Add to this the new guys we pick up in the Draft.

Yes I’m all in for trying to make it work.

I prefaced all my remarks about being brave etc etc & trading him with “IF WE CANT GET THE BEST OUT OF HIM” or words to that effect.

I’ve put it here in caps because nobody reads the conditional clause unless you do. (And if that doesn’t work maybe I’ll try 24 point bold font.😉)

We would all be happy with the Baz of September 2021 and early 2022, but where has that gone? He’s 23 soon, the age when most elite midfielders are really starting to dominate. Instead he has plateaued or even gone backwards for much of this year and last year.

Is he
(A) “just in a form slump”
(B) being handled poorly and played in the wrong position
(C) suffering some other ailment or mental demons that are preventing him playing his best football?
(D) something else … eg, maybe not as good as we thought?

Whichever it is, how much confidence have we got that Baz, Bevo, the coaching assistants, the physios, the psychologists and the myotherapists can help propel him to being the elite midfielder he was promising to be in his first couple of seasons?

What exactly is the plan? Surely they are at least working on it.

I got ya, but think he deserves a shot first and others who are older need to realise that the next wave needs that opportunity. However, that is up to the club to push.

That all being said, you always listen to offers and turn them down if they aren't suitable.

We can’t keep moving on best 22 players. Hunter, Stringer, Cordy. We need to work through the issues, we lose them but getting no replacements.
I don't think we can be blamed for not trying to work through the issues with Hunter, we dealt with his off-field dramas for years.

Stringer I would've liked that situation to be handled better.

Cordy was very rarely best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back