Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey will have a lot of suiters at the end of next season. They will now be competing with Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon etc as well as us obviously, all who bring different things to the table and will be going all out to bring him in. To get him a year before he would be out of contract, get him into the club and fall in love with the place / people and lock him into a long term deal before next off-season even comes into play would be huge. They are now battling it out with the rest of the clubs interested in him and more likely than not to miss out on him.

See Essendon with Dunkley who miss out on him while he was in contract, and had to watch him go to Brisbane shortly after.
But he’s out of contract so whoever he picks means we are stuck with them. Anyway Hawthorn would never have offered two first rounders for him regardless of what we were giving back.

But he’s out of contract so whoever he picks means we are stuck with them. Anyway Hawthorn would never have offered two first rounders for him regardless of what we were giving back.
The best case scenario from here if he was to leave would be Baz nominating the Hawks and getting their top 3-6 pick in return. If he has another ordinary year then the Hawks will be well within their rights to demand something in return.

Last edited:
Perhaps the reason for his (slightly) delayed nomination, to give himself time to weigh that up and make a decision?

My Mrs manager’s son plays footy with him, he was always nominating

Croft had 2 options;

A) Nominate with us and train 5 minutes from home with the club he had supported his whole life and his Dad served with distinction, or

B) Throw himself to the market as an 18yo and maybe have to move to Perth, Gold Coast, possibly even Moorabbin or wherever.

Pretty easy choice for most.

We traded picks on October 8 to seal our commitment to selecting him. He nominated us on October 9.

Would like to get Gould as a rookie too. I feel like he was growing into his body until this year and only started to get himself right to play. Has played forward in the VFL this year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we now have 3 developing key defenders on the list (JOD, Croft & Busslinger). Jones, Keath & Gardner as our mature options so I think we're well stacked for defensive talls.
We are set for talls for a long period of time now *pending development and re-signings

Croft/JOD/Buss down back
Naughts/Marra/Darcy forward
English ruck

At least we now have 3 developing key defenders on the list (JOD, Croft & Busslinger). Jones, Keath & Gardner as our mature options so I think we're well stacked for defensive talls.
Agreed. Back up ruck is now a need with Sweet going, a genuine small crumbing forward, then mids. So over the next two or so years, we should be able to plug those holes.

I feel like with Lobb on the list, we can probably afford to grab a 24-26yr state league ruck and play the medium term, rather than grab a Lycett type who will get us through a year or two then we will have to grab another ruck anyway. Rather just go for the developing ruck straight up this year if we can.

I like having the 3 developing but for mine Keath & Gardner aren't options anymore.

Neither should be on the list next year (I know this ain't changing) - were so bad this year.

Cross everything Jones can stay fit & JOD has a huge pre-season & can hold the for this year.

I like having the 3 developing but for mine Keath & Gardner aren't options anymore.

Neither should be on the list next year (I know this ain't changing) - were so bad this year.

Cross everything Jones can stay fit & JOD has a huge pre-season & can hold the for this year.
At risk of starting WWIII here as I know Gardner is a touchy topic, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he starts the year. He has a history of playing extremely poorly following injury and his year was quite disrupted through injury.

He's absolutely the type of player we need to move past and he is not in my round 1 team, but I think his previous form is respectable as a solid backup option. Last year he certainly played below what he has previously (though I am not pretending he reached any great heights), and he has enough of a history of taking some time to get back up to speed following injury, for me to see how he goes this year before entirely writing him off.

Both Darcy and Croft are tall enough to ruck and provide backup for English. Not sure if that’s been done before though. Dustin Fletcher was a tall back but never rucked from memory.

At risk of starting WWIII here as I know Gardner is a touchy topic, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he starts the year. He has a history of playing extremely poorly following injury and his year was quite disrupted through injury.

He's absolutely the type of player we need to move past and he is not in my round 1 team, but I think his previous form is respectable as a solid backup option. Last year he certainly played below what he has previously (though I am not pretending he reached any great heights), and he has enough of a history of taking some time to get back up to speed following injury, for me to see how he goes this year before entirely writing him off.
Agreed. I thought he had a good year in 2022.

On a non pin up boy topic.....I can't help but feel our trades and overall football business has been poor. We seem to have given away an awful lot for a top 6 pick and have left gaping holes down the back and with an aging midfield.... I just can't help but think we stuffed up.
We won't really know how much we have given up to move up the draft until we know what our future pick ends up being but based on current phantom drafts we've traded out pick 15 and 23 this year and Croft gets a bid before our original first pick so keeping them was not an option unless we overlooked Croft.

Next year there look to be 3 early father son and 2 academy bids so if we finish 9th again that would be pick 15 or even higher if there is free agency compensation.

So in that instance, pick 6 for pick 15, 23 and 15 doesn't look that bad.

Obviously if we finish bottom four it ends up being a bad deal so there is some risk involved but we really should be playing finals next year so there's every chance next year's pick ends up closer to 20.

Considering experts are predicting the Croft bid comes before our original first the evaluation has to be based on what else we could have done with the 2 picks this year which was either try to trade them to move ahead of a Croft bid, say to Geelong or trade them both into next year for a couple of late first rounders.

This year's draft has a clear top tier so essentially we've traded our future first to allow us to move into this group plus we got 3 third rounders to help with bid matching.
Provided the wheels don't fall off next year, I think it was a good move.

As for what else we did, I think Coffield and Harmes were good, low cost acquisitions. If Coffield is injury free he can become that mobile mid size defender/interceptor we've been missing and Harmes will bring a bit of toughness and defensive intent to a team that is often lacking in those areas.

If they both cement themselves as best 22 then we've improved our depth and that's a big win.

As for not picking up key defenders, I don't think anyone available was suitable.

We would have had to give McKay a huge contact, even if he wanted to come, and I don't think he's very good. His lack of athleticism would get completely exposed in our defence. Plus he's constantly injured.

Ratagoulea and Zerk Thatcher wouldn't be guaranteed best 22 and both got hefty contracts too.

Jones is a lock and I'm hoping O'Donnell can cement a spot too. Gardiner and Keath are back ups and Busslinger, Croft and potentially Darcy are developing. I'm not sure we need to invest any more list spots for those positions.

I'd actually be happy with the period if/once we add Bramble.

Defensive/hard nosed midfielder with proven runs on the board for peanuts.

A solid medium defender in Coffield who has massive upside for chump change.

Pick 4 or whatever it is. We did overpay imo but it's ballsy.

Croft

2 late picks.

Small running defender who can run and bounce. Hopefully he can lock down.

Off field appointments are good.

I'm feeling good so far.

Small running defender who can run and bounce. Hopefully he can lock down.
I didn't know a lot about Bramble so I took a glance at the Hawks board - seems there is a feel that he isn't a defender at all, and is best suited up forward. Terrible kick under no pressure seems to be the vibe over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back