Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The discussion and comparison needs to be deeper than just saying "one player is better than another" - the roles need to be recognised.

We manage to achieve it with other discussions ... "we can drop this tall, but this medium defender would have to play taller..." etc, but not for these other players.
And round and round we go. Ok I'll say it bluntly. Garcia would be better in any position than the 3 I mentioned. If you want to go like for like position wise, Garcia is better than Gallagher.
Feel free to put up stats like you do with English to convince me that the 3 I mentioned are superior to Garcia.

Re: English… If you didn’t know the result Vs Port, and more importantly didn’t actually WATCH the game, his stats of 17 possessions (13kicks, 4 h/b’s) 8 marks (inc 3 contested), 2 goals, 5 tackles, and 24 hit outs, you’d reckon he had a pretty serviceable, borderline “excellent” game!
Real enigma, is the lad..
It's kinda bizarre. Great stats. Champion data hero. Eye test beaten

Remember the AFL had an integrity unit? The ones that supposedly investigate s*** like this?

I am pretty sure they are still looking for Talia’s phone. It’s been almost a decade…. I think I read somewhere that they haven’t started any investigations into anything else since then. This is a very thorough search and they have been concentrating on the bars and nightclubs. Their expenses in Bali are apparently quite reasonable.

I am pretty sure they are still looking for Talia’s phone. It’s been almost a decade…. I think I read somewhere that they haven’t started any investigations into anything else since then. This is a very thorough search and they have been concentrating on the bars and nightclubs. Their expenses in Bali are apparently quite reasonable.

It's pathetic. Blind Freddy could figure out how Geelong almost like a cult hypnotises players into coming 'home'.

They're not coming 'home' because they love Malop Street or the special holy water on the Surf Coast, we all know why...but the AFL have bigger fish apparently.

I think you underestimate the ruck position.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned watching for just on 60 years it’s still very important.
Back in the day when I played , around the Boer War years, it was the most important position.
Kicking the odd goal is a bonus. But rucks set the tone, they need to have a physical presence.
Often what they offer won’t show on a stat.

I will go as far as saying exchange English for Gawn this year and we would be pushing top 4.
Even English for Grundy which could have been a possibility in the trade period. I'm afraid Timmy just doesn't have it in him to be the Alpha Bull that is required.

It's pathetic. Blind Freddy could figure out how Geelong almost like a cult hypnotises players into coming 'home'.

They're not coming 'home' because they love Malop Street or the special holy water on the Surf Coast, we all know why...but the AFL have bigger fish apparently.
They want to keep the big clubs big so the money keeps flowing. Can't have the minnows becoming too successful might upset the gravy train.

I'm not dismissing it because it's not quantifiable, I'm dismissing it because nobody's proposed any evidence or justification of it being worth anything above a minute amount than "feels".

Many years ago I was in Shane Zantuck's sports store buying some footy boots. Tony McGuiness came in as an Adidas (?) sales rep, and I ended up in a 3-way conversation with them.

McGuiness talked about the previous week, lining up against the Eagles with Alex Ischenko as the opposing ruck. Prior to the opening bounce, Ischenko was apparently whirling his arms madly like windmills and snorting. Freddie said the Dogs boys were amused, and not worried about a lumbering guy like that. Until about 10mins in, when Ischenko had knocked our ruckman flying and laid a few bone crunching tackles on unsuspecting Dogs. Apparently they were all wary for the rest of the game about where Ischenko was at any point in time.

Inferred pressure. From a physical ruckman. No stats, big Alex contributed precisely 0.1 to his team's score. But no one knew when his 110kg frame was going to inflict some damage.

I've got another one from talking to Paul Dimattina and Jose Romero a few years ago about Scotty Wynd. (I'm assuming you know who all these blokes are btw?)

Jose and Dima said lots of oppo players initially misjudged Wyndy. Looked slow, and his blonde locks gave him a gentle giant vibe. But he had a habit of catching opponents unawares in tackles, and really hurting them. So the next tine he was in the vicinity, they stepped quicker, looked over their shoulder, more inferred pressure. Again no stats.

Look outside your bubble, stats are worthless without context.

So I'm not dismissing your post because it's quantifiable, I'm dismissing it because ive spoken to actual players about the inferred pressure of a physical ruck.

The same applied to a charging Lockett, Carey or Ablett on a lead.
There's no stat for any defenders who got out of their way... just the "feels".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take this with a grain of salt, but.....do not be surprised if a certain young forward with a bit of a attitude problem is traded at some point.
Yeah I've always had a problem with VDM so I don't mind if we trade him away.

In all honesty, I think trading him could be great for us. Naughton is already a great key forward and locked in for the long term, Darcy showing just as much potential (if not more) and we also have Croft still developing (although he may end up a defender).

Key forwards are high value and we’re fortunate to be loaded with them. Very rare for a promising key forward to be traded (think maybe Kennedy was the last in the Judd trade?).

I’d happily trade Jamarra if it lead to us with a high quality key defender or midfielder in return.

I want to keep Jamarra long term but the 2 year contract was always best for both parties.

The club will seriously have to consider whether paying 3 key forwards $1 million each is the best use of our resources if we have other key areas of the ground we need to address.

Take this with a grain of salt, but.....do not be surprised if a certain young forward with a bit of a attitude problem is traded at some point.

Come on Cleve... "some point"?

This year? Next year? 2027 when Swans come knocking with a 9-year "Buddy" offer after he's played in our B2B 2025/26 flags?! 🙂

Come on Cleve... "some point"?

This year? Next year? 2027 when Swans come knocking with a 9-year "Buddy" offer after he's played in our B2B 2025/26 flags?! 🙂

Sorry, just being a smart ar5e.

Cherrypie and Golden_6 make valid points supporting your post, assuming Darcy kicks on and Naughton signed long term. How much do we tie up in KPFs? Then there's young Cooney available soon, allegedly tall forward as well. We need our players producing a range of offspring, small skilled lockdown defenders, wings(!).

Zimmer - change the formula, stop producing all these giants!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back