Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious how many medical experts are on this board.

Do peeps genuinely think the club won’t do their homework to make an informed decision when it comes to a trade..?
This is possibly how Saints fans reassured themselves when the club brought in Hannebery.

really wish Marra had of signed that 4 year deal!
Pay Me GIF

Yep, he's backed himself in only signing for 2. If it keeps going like the past 3 weeks the offers coming his way will unprecedented.
We have room in the cap to provide those offers to him as well as the other clubs.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Got bent over by the lions. Not his fault, but happened
I reckon it’s too simple to say we got bent over. Was just the worst ever timing with Brisbane finishing top 4 + having a father son.

In saying that it’s pretty frustrating that club like GWS can turn Taranto and Shiel into two first rounders but we can’t with Dunkley and Smith.

I reckon it’s too simple to say we got bent over. Was just the worst ever timing with Brisbane finishing top 4 + having a father son.

In saying that it’s pretty frustrating that club like GWS can turn Taranto and Shiel into two first rounders but we can’t with Dunkley and Smith.
That's the thing people don't quite understand with the trade - the Brisbane first rounder (as any first rounder straight up) was not worthless, and was a better trade piece at the time than its eventual pick before Brisbane made the grand final. Joe Daniher snaps an achillies round 3 or whatever and it's pick 10 rather than pick 20 on top of everything else we get in that trade, and nobody would be complaining, even if the value at the time of the trade was identical.

Now a bit similar to our trade up for Sanders last year with our own first - go on a finals run this year and we're genius for taking the risk for a late teens pick into a bonafide good pick 6. We collapse and we've paid two top picks for one. The truth as always is somewhere in the middle, with the probabilities that we would have either gone on a finals run or collapsed

That's the thing people don't quite understand with the trade - the Brisbane first rounder (as any first rounder straight up) was not worthless, and was a better trade piece at the time than its eventual pick before Brisbane made the grand final. Joe Daniher snaps an achillies round 3 or whatever and it's pick 10 rather than pick 20 on top of everything else we get in that trade, and nobody would be complaining, even if the value at the time of the trade was identical.

Now a bit similar to our trade up for Sanders last year with our own first - go on a finals run this year and we're genius for taking the risk for a late teens pick into a bonafide good pick 6. We collapse and we've paid two top picks for one. The truth as always is somewhere in the middle, with the probabilities that we would have either gone on a finals run or collapsed

Trades involving future picks should be evaluated by weighing the risk of outcomes, not by what actually happens 12 months into the future, as no one has a crystal ball. The Dogs looked quite likely to be a 6-10 side again and barring an extreme outcome one way or the other, the trade for pick 5 was roughly fair value based on other trades to move up in the draft (and factoring in it removed any potential adverse impact of an early Croft bid).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An underrated skill with Lobby down back is if he can't hit up the 20m-30m kick or dish off to Dale, Bramble etc... he always has a 50m-60m dump kick down the line in him. Also his torp kicking out of the goalsquare with a thing of beauty.
Bont mentioned it in his post game interview. He is incredibly skilful by foot for a man of his size.

I honestly can’t think of a time where he’s genuinely fluffed a kick from defence or made a horrible decision. Compare that with Keath, who was playing some solid footy earlier in the year but takes an eternity to make a decision which always ends up sideways and safe.

I rather a bloke who can thump a ball 60m to the middle of the ground when clearing from danger in defence, compared to our usual dump kicks in panic, that ends up marked inside 50 or just outside the arc by the opposition. The amount of times we kick out on the full or straight to opponents, with no look 30m dump kicks is annoying. Lobbs powerful kick is underrated.

Last edited:
Bont mentioned it in his post game interview. He is incredibly skilful by foot for a man of his size.

I honestly can’t think of a time where he’s genuinely fluffed a kick from defence or made a horrible decision. Compare that with Keath, who was playing some solid footy earlier in the year but takes an eternity to make a decision which always ends up sideways and safe.
Even Jones at least takes distance over a cute kick. The fact at any point in time we have English, Darcy, Naughton and Marra roaming down the line makes life a lot easier for Jonesy. One passage of play yesterday Jones took a good 10 seconds after an intercept on the wing and ended up kicking a super high (some may say floating) ball into our forward 50. However Darcy was there to just go 'yoink' and mark it.

The only WTF moment I had with Lobb yesterday was when he decided to roost the ball from the goalsquare to the middle of the ground, only for it to be marked by a Swan. That was off script and I was not impressed!

The only WTF moment I had with Lobb yesterday was when he decided to roost the ball from the goalsquare to the middle of the ground, only for it to be marked by a Swan. That was off script and I was not impressed!
The ball almost got to the centre square though, not the worst result and it should come to ground most times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back