Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Simpson delisted. Believe we were in interested in him a few years ago. I wouldn’t mind him on a short deal as a DFA or Rookie, he’s had a difficult run with injury and concussion
Like him as a player but massive risk after concussions and I am still not a fan of Geelong rejects.

Sam Simpson delisted. Believe we were in interested in him a few years ago. I wouldn’t mind him on a short deal as a DFA or Rookie, he’s had a difficult run with injury and concussion

I would avoid anyone who has had a history of concussions, just really risky and not worth it for either party.

Tim English is a succulent Chinese meal
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest….!

Get your hand off my penis!

I have always thought English’s body language sucks just before a bounce where he is being beaten by a superior tap ruckman (65% of the time). Hands on hips, shoulders slumped, looking at the ground.

Did he go to private school does anyone know?

Last edited:
Their salary cap is interesting, from memory they've already given out big, long-term deals to Petracca and Oliver plus whatever Gawn, May and Lever are on. They aren't chewing up much salary cap in their forward line whereas we'll need to pay a few top-end talents there, but on the flipside they'll be spending a decent amount in defense whereas we'll not be bursting the bank there.

I suppose they would've allocated the best part of $1m for 5-7 years for Jackson and he walked, so if they get whatever they're paying Grundy off their books then they can slot English in there. But if English is reportedly set on being a number one ruck then I'm not sure why he'd entertain going there (if there is any truth to those rumours).

This might be another can of worms, but player salaries should be transparent imo. I understand some of the arguments against it, and AFL players aren't paid exorbitant amounts like in the US sports where maybe it's more justified. But doesn't the secrecy help clubs like Geelong? If Cameron moves there and takes e.g. 700k p.a., then he might be happy with that when he only suspects that other elite KPFs are on 800k+. But if he knew that Curnow was on e.g $900k, Naughton gets offered the same or more with an impending salary cap increase, the King brothers are in the same ballpark and he finds out that he's something like the 15th highest paid KPF in the comp and the 45th highest paid player overall - does that make a difference to his level of satisfaction there when he's probably one of the top five players in the game?

These "better-run" clubs might just be benefitting from the lack of knowledge among the playing group. Unless of course it is well known in the industry what the top-level players are paid and none of this makes a difference.

Player managers would all know, it’s well known in the industry what each player is getting paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really intrigued by Tim English potentially netting us top value in the market at this point in time.

I think Tim leaving WILL be the making of Sam Darcy (maybe not next year, but from 2025 onwards)

I also think something needs to shift with our midfield mix, and Tim leaving allows us to get the draft capital to make a port Adelaide like transformation in the guts.
Unfortunately, Sam needs to prove he can get on the park first.

Their salary cap is interesting, from memory they've already given out big, long-term deals to Petracca and Oliver plus whatever Gawn, May and Lever are on. They aren't chewing up much salary cap in their forward line whereas we'll need to pay a few top-end talents there, but on the flipside they'll be spending a decent amount in defense whereas we'll not be bursting the bank there.

I suppose they would've allocated the best part of $1m for 5-7 years for Jackson and he walked, so if they get whatever they're paying Grundy off their books then they can slot English in there. But if English is reportedly set on being a number one ruck then I'm not sure why he'd entertain going there (if there is any truth to those rumours).

This might be another can of worms, but player salaries should be transparent imo. I understand some of the arguments against it, and AFL players aren't paid exorbitant amounts like in the US sports where maybe it's more justified. But doesn't the secrecy help clubs like Geelong? If Cameron moves there and takes e.g. 700k p.a., then he might be happy with that when he only suspects that other elite KPFs are on 800k+. But if he knew that Curnow was on e.g $900k, Naughton gets offered the same or more with an impending salary cap increase, the King brothers are in the same ballpark and he finds out that he's something like the 15th highest paid KPF in the comp and the 45th highest paid player overall - does that make a difference to his level of satisfaction there when he's probably one of the top five players in the game?

These "better-run" clubs might just be benefitting from the lack of knowledge among the playing group. Unless of course it is well known in the industry what the top-level players are paid and none of this makes a difference.
It's a rather well-known 'secret' that the Geelong players are given the inside word on land deals that are about to shoot up in value in and around the surf coast.
They take the lower playing wage with the understanding that they get vital information on land that is about to be rezoned as residential. They buy the seemingly worthless land through family links, the rezoning goes through a year or 2 later and they are suddenly sitting on a fortune.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't really want to keep doing this and continue losing known commodity star players approaching their prime.

The perfect recipe for memediocrity.
Yeah not hoping for it. Just postulating what the potential trade could be if it happened.

Again, they already have Hunter who is doing ok for them.
Way too many stories of Hunter being a bad influence. Hopefully a move helps sort himself out.

Massive hypothetical as can't see happening. Who says no?
Grundy and freo pick 1 and 2 (5 & 23ish)
English and lions 1st pick (16ish)
English for 5 and 23 simplifies it. Don't want him to go, only if it's forced.

If Grant and Co were really reviewed hard then it's time to be ruthless, if Smith and English aren't extended this off season, then both should get the fxxk out. Dunkley was gone one season too late.

If Grant and Co were really reviewed hard then it's time to be ruthless, if Smith and English aren't extended this off season, then both should get the fxxk out. Dunkley was gone one season too late.

I always thought Dunkley would have done earlier if the picks weren’t during JUH/Darcy bid era. That and Dodoro.

Getting JOD and Poulter for free as mid-season pickups helps paper over the holes in the list caused by expending lots of draft capital on Darcy and JUH.

I haven't watched much footy since Poulter joined as I've been overseas, but the highlights he's been involved in look extremely solid. He's obviously got some issues in his game to work on (or he'd still be at Collingwood) but he's got heaps to work with. If we'd taken him as a second rounder in the JUH draft I don't think we would be too worried by his progress.

I think we'd be pretty happy if we took JOD as a second rounder a few years back too.

I’m asking for another first if Melbourne. They got 5 and another first for Jackson who is an inferior player to English.

I also don’t like topping up a premiership contender.

Really can’t see this happening
At first i thought the same, then after thinking about it, they tried to do it with Grundy who is not a forwards butt hole, they know Tim is a very ok forward and would easy pay 2 firsts for him, imo. and if that's the case, we would get another mid tier ruck with at least goot hitout capabilities and we would with that hand be able to snag pick one. so it would be Tim for Harley. funny it would be then if we could trump the swand or Port and snag grundy after their failed attempt to make him F/R and we have him as main event Grundy. Or they could offer pick 5 and Grundy whilst paying the extra they pay the pies of his contract

5 + 15 with next year's second going back. Try and covert 10 + 15 to Gold Coast's 4.

Take picks 4, 5, 17, Croft, and late pick. Would allow a very quick mini rebuild.

Can we rely on Sweet, Lobb and Darcy in the ruck though?
I think 17 will likely be wasted on Croft. There is few teams between our two picks that need forwards, and two teams that would bid just to spite us in SYD and GWS. Personally I'd forget the romance of pick 4, and package 15 and 17 to trade up with anyone in fringes of the top 10. Will give us three picks around the top 10, plus Croft, instead of just two and Croft.

Getting JOD and Poulter for free as mid-season pickups helps paper over the holes in the list caused by expending lots of draft capital on Darcy and JUH.

I haven't watched much footy since Poulter joined as I've been overseas, but the highlights he's been involved in look extremely solid. He's obviously got some issues in his game to work on (or he'd still be at Collingwood) but he's got heaps to work with. If we'd taken him as a second rounder in the JUH draft I don't think we would be too worried by his progress.

I think we'd be pretty happy if we took JOD as a second rounder a few years back too.
I think if he can gain any sort of capability on his weak side, he will be come a better player. He can’t use his oppo foot or hand almost at all. That’s a pretty major weakness at the highest level.

I think if he can gain any sort of capability on his weak side, he will be come a better player. He can’t use his oppo foot or hand almost at all. That’s a pretty major weakness at the highest level.
There are players who can survive without a good oppo. I genuinely don't believe I've even seen Hunter use his right foot in any situation although he could use both hands.

Last edited:
Losing Tim English would be diabolical for this list. Have people forgotten the last 5 years of having a s**t ruck? Our midfielders literally had to shark from the opposition.
Because we had a beanpole rookie English as our ruck,

No one is suggesting draft another 18 year old and chuck him in rather the opposite and pick up a "solid" mature ager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back