Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney along with Geelong are the two best teams in the league in terms of development, or getting better out of fringe players. I'd be interested to how come he hasn't broken into a team that has injury prone small forwards? How has he been performing in the ressies? Etc.

Not exactly expecting us to do better than the Swans at developing given our poor recent history of trade ins. But happy to give him a shot if he has shown something.

Outside of Weightman, and West who was originally a mid, we haven't been able to find impactful small forwards since 2016, and even that team was midfielders turned forwards. Has small forward now over taken talls as our new heel? Cannot remember the last genuine gun winger we have had either. Probably all the way back in the Eade era.
Personally I don’t think arty is a small fwd. doesn’t have the goals nous. I’d like him tried at half back. He played there last year for a quarter in the VFL and it’s been the best quarter he has played.
Clarke who I’m a huge fan of is tracking well. Remember last yr his pre season was non existent this year has played very well and has hit the scoreboard regularly and average 5 tackles a game. He is 12-18 months of securing a permanent senior spot. His senior debut might not have been great but still touched it 6 times in a half an almost got a goal. Think of him in 18-24 months. Much fitter faster stronger and more confident he will form part of a great fwd group.

Personally I don’t think arty is a small fwd. doesn’t have the goals nous. I’d like him tried at half back. He played there last year for a quarter in the VFL and it’s been the best quarter he has played.
Clarke who I’m a huge fan of is tracking well. Remember last yr his pre season was non existent this year has played very well and has hit the scoreboard regularly and average 5 tackles a game. He is 12-18 months of securing a permanent senior spot. His senior debut might not have been great but still touched it 6 times in a half an almost got a goal. Think of him in 18-24 months. Much fitter faster stronger and more confident he will form part of a great fwd group.
Yeah I am not writing Clarke off at all. Unlike some who write people off after one bad game. Just talking about our general history in the past. Weightman is the only genuine small forward we have found that has been an impact player for many years. Still got hope for Clarke and I actually rated O"Driscoll (that hurts). We honestly just need one to put their hand up. West provides pressure, Weightman the goals, just need someone to chip in with both.

We will probably grab Spicer in the MID season draft. Which personally feels like desperation, than based on current production. Need to see consistency and more impact on the scoreboard first.

1.6M over 4 years for Lobb is actually an amazing deal for us to be completely honest. Even if you view that money as an investment into the calm and patient manner that we've been able to manage Sam Darcy.
We’ve been fortunate to have all of Naughton, English, JUH and Darcy healthy this season. Any of them go down and Lobb is suddenly required and capable to fill in

Croft would have definitely been bid on before 13. GWS took crows pick before dogs pick and if dogs had held onto their pick would have bidded on Croft. GWS took Gothard that pick which wasn't rated that high in rankings next to Croft. I also don't doubt Essendon bidding on Croft like they did taking Lual before dogs could start matching bids.

Yeah, I think that people are kidding themselves if they think that Croft wouldn't have been bid on with the pick before ours after we had talked about wanting him.
We were never going to be able to get our choice of draftee and then have Croft bid on just afterwards.

Sydney along with Geelong are the two best teams in the league in terms of development, or getting better out of fringe players. I'd be interested to how come he hasn't broken into a team that has injury prone small forwards? How has he been performing in the ressies? Etc.

Not exactly expecting us to do better than the Swans at developing given our poor recent history of trade ins. But happy to give him a shot if he has shown something.

Outside of Weightman, and West who was originally a mid, we haven't been able to find impactful small forwards since 2016, and even that team was midfielders turned forwards. Has small forward now over taken talls as our new heel? Cannot remember the last genuine gun winger we have had either. Probably all the way back in the Eade era.
Eade era it was Eagleton who would be by all rights considered a gun. Ryan Griffin was the other wing. McCartney era Ryan Griffin was moved to inside mid and I don't remember who he had on the wings.

Edit: Actually 1 of the wings of the McCartney era was MaCrae and I believe Wood was the other.

Last edited:
So we now have two spots available for MSD? Is that correct?

Small forwards of Weightman, West and Garcia is pretty good. García is getting better every game and brings speed and tackling, West creative and aggressive and Weightman flashy but high skill.

Sure two makeshift forwards but Dickson, Picken and C.Smith were also.

And Clarke coming through is looking on the right trajectory. Wouldn’t be highest priority unless a clear high potential player is there. Now that that have two I am not against rolling the dice but some like Spicer isn’t killing VFL after a few year so where is the thing that would make him AFL ready?

For example some good VFL players can become great AFL players if they just get body maturity: Morris, Boyd etc became physically imposing and that was what they needed - is there someone like this?

Arty has slipped and already looks behind Clarke which is a shame - would be worth trying at HBF. JJ is getting on and others don’t have the speed to be the breakout runner. Gallagher was brought in for this reason but is now in the midfield. So a gap for him or we could look to MSD.

Wing is where we have real quality problems - Gallagher is going there but is also rolling inside - if Smith comes back then likely he is pushed to wing. Williams is regular 22 but more because he can roll back to defence. With Red showing great potential in the midfield - we may do this more often. Bedendo doesn’t appear to be getting closer to games.

So wing is a hole and becomes more of a hole. But we have used the second tier drafts to get recycled players who are ok but don’t have one established player. Do we keep trying this? And end up with three players on list that can’t get regular games? High speed high endurance wingers are in demand from everyone so just not sure they are easy to get. More a national draft target. Maybe?

Midfield is looking pretty good for a few years - assuming we re/sign Smith but this is where injuries are and where we are playing more VFL players.

Current:

Bont, Trelor, Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Harmes (and good rotations from all theee small forwards)

Next:

Smith, Gallagher (playing in front of Daniel atm), Sanders.

It is hard to find a midfielder who will genuinely get games otherwise we would have picked Sullivan years ago. Also really need quality against very good player.

Wouldn’t go for a midfielder would rather pick a list weakness and have a free hit at plugging it. And best result is if they have some high potential attribute - particularly a natural trait like competitiveness, calm under pressure, goal sense or great kick - if they were well rounded they would either be drafted or average in everything.

But seems like where these fail is often on skills - I wouldn’t call Baker:poulter fails they have physical strengths but lack skills. So skills weaknesses would be a read flag.

I believe MSD can be valuable to plug holes needed because of injury or emerging so when we look at VFL and where we are doing things we don’t want to so unless their is a breakout player missed in the draft in the roles above I would go for:

1. Ruck where we have played Gardner cause we had (needs ro be ready at Fullback). Not sure who is best available?

2. KPF: We have also played Croft forward when we don’t to develop him as a KPD because we had to. So the blond tall forward from Box Hill would be my pick.

So we now have two spots available for MSD? Is that correct?

Small forwards of Weightman, West and Garcia is pretty good. García is getting better every game and brings speed and tackling, West creative and aggressive and Weightman flashy but high skill.

Sure two makeshift forwards but Dickson, Picken and C.Smith were also.

And Clarke coming through is looking on the right trajectory. Wouldn’t be highest priority unless a clear high potential player is there. Now that that have two I am not against rolling the dice but some like Spicer isn’t killing VFL after a few year so where is the thing that would make him AFL ready?

For example some good VFL players can become great AFL players if they just get body maturity: Morris, Boyd etc became physically imposing and that was what they needed - is there someone like this?

Arty has slipped and already looks behind Clarke which is a shame - would be worth trying at HBF. JJ is getting on and others don’t have the speed to be the breakout runner. Gallagher was brought in for this reason but is now in the midfield. So a gap for him or we could look to MSD.

Wing is where we have real quality problems - Gallagher is going there but is also rolling inside - if Smith comes back then likely he is pushed to wing. Williams is regular 22 but more because he can roll back to defence. With Red showing great potential in the midfield - we may do this more often. Bedendo doesn’t appear to be getting closer to games.

So wing is a hole and becomes more of a hole. But we have used the second tier drafts to get recycled players who are ok but don’t have one established player. Do we keep trying this? And end up with three players on list that can’t get regular games? High speed high endurance wingers are in demand from everyone so just not sure they are easy to get. More a national draft target. Maybe?

Midfield is looking pretty good for a few years - assuming we re/sign Smith but this is where injuries are and where we are playing more VFL players.

Current:

Bont, Trelor, Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Harmes (and good rotations from all theee small forwards)

Next:

Smith, Gallagher (playing in front of Daniel atm), Sanders.

It is hard to find a midfielder who will genuinely get games otherwise we would have picked Sullivan years ago. Also really need quality against very good player.

Wouldn’t go for a midfielder would rather pick a list weakness and have a free hit at plugging it. And best result is if they have some high potential attribute - particularly a natural trait like competitiveness, calm under pressure, goal sense or great kick - if they were well rounded they would either be drafted or average in everything.

But seems like where these fail is often on skills - I wouldn’t call Baker:poulter fails they have physical strengths but lack skills. So skills weaknesses would be a read flag.

I believe MSD can be valuable to plug holes needed because of injury or emerging so when we look at VFL and where we are doing things we don’t want to so unless their is a breakout player missed in the draft in the roles above I would go for:

1. Ruck where we have played Gardner cause we had (needs ro be ready at Fullback). Not sure who is best available?

2. KPF: We have also played Croft forward when we don’t to develop him as a KPD because we had to. So the blond tall forward from Box Hill would be my pick.
We have one spot.

One with O’Driscoll. It was never stated that Bailey Smith was put on the LTI list.
They will leave it until closer to the deadline before declaring Smith will deffinetly miss the year.
I believe we will end up taking two spots into the draft but depending on who goes before our picks we may only use one or none. There is no obligation to make a selection.

Will Elliott 202cm forward / ruck intrigues me. He was oakleigh co-captain in his draft year. Apparently really competitive, seemed to have a lot of raw talent.

I wonder if we go for more of an impact now or longer term player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will Elliott 202cm forward / ruck intrigues me. He was oakleigh co-captain in his draft year. Apparently really competitive, seemed to have a lot of raw talent.

I expect North Will have a good look at him, not exactly what we need but is a very high upside pick and could be better then what is left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect North Will have a good look at him, not exactly what we need but is a very high upside pick and could be better then what is left.

Could he have scope as a defender? Then might be more possible for us. But great to have tall backup on the list. We have been fortunate not to have many injuries this year to key talls.

Could he have scope as a defender? Then might be more possible for us. But great to have tall backup on the list. We have been fortunate not to have many injuries this year to key talls.

With the way he marks the ball it'd be possible, I don't think he has spent any meaningful time there but others may know better.

Potentially English management waiting for a late offer elsewhere? They’d hope for ongoing improvement in form to be getting offers in the ballpark that he’d no doubt be asking for.

His management are looking for offers over 1.2mil and a length of 6 year.
Currently no one coming forward with the dogs offering 5 more years at his current wage (around 900k)

I wonder if we will go with players that we had interest in the last draft that are playing well at the beginning of this year. So like McArthur for example. He can join Astro in the headband wearing crew.

I wonder if we will go with players that we had interest in the last draft that are playing well at the beginning of this year. So like McArthur for example. He can join Astro in the headband wearing crew.
Do you think it'd be possible for McArthur to build his endurance up enough to play on a wing? With his other strengths I feel that'd suit his game best and allow him to influence games more.

Do you think it'd be possible for McArthur to build his endurance up enough to play on a wing? With his other strengths I feel that'd suit his game best and allow him to influence games more.
That would be the hope. I'd be very much trying to make him build his endurance for playing wing. He is a December boy so I'd expect some late development.

Looks like English’s manager has had a few concussions himself asking for that kind of contract.

Not worth a mil a year on current form, and 6 years is risky considering what’s just happened to O’Driscoll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back