Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. But the level of scrutiny of club lists and potential trades has probably increased by close to an order of magnitude since the Jong affair.

This thread gets a ridiculous amount of idle chatter throughout the year and the AFL website has a thing called Gettable just to fill space and/or keep the clicks coming all year round. When too much footy can never be enough.

So even if some unknown like Garcia was spotted touring another club's facilities I reckon there's a fair chance they'd pounce on it. It would make a change from rehashing the same old news, speculation and whispers week after week.
I think you're overestimating the interest that a random Carlton or Richmond or West Coast fan would have on whether Riley Garcia (27 career games) will continue to be in and out of the best 22 for either Geelong or West Coast next year, at the very least, not in October itself.

Very stupid by Garcia, well deserved omission. Fair enough if you're constantly playing VFL but he had really cemented down a spot having played 8 weeks straight.

Or people who are wanting to buy a house and jump up and down on the floor to check the structure of the house before purchasing

Although to be fair, it would be interesting to see what $340 million of taxpayers money is actually getting us. Not hard to work out why the state is bankrupt.

Although to be fair, it would be interesting to see what $340 million of taxpayers money is actually getting us. Not hard to work out why the state is bankrupt.

Maybe Garcia was checking out the solid gold dunnies down at Porkbarrel Park? Assume everything down there is solid gold. Amazing the graft that happens in marginal seats...

Losing Smith and Buss could see us remain a mid tier team long term. Need to be smart with what we get in return. I'd also be turning CD, Lobb, Macrae into what ever draft picks we can get.

Get more games into Bedendo, Clearly, Garcia etc so we can make quicker decisions on their future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a friend for

Happy Timmy GIF by South Park
And Jimmy!

giphy.gif

Losing Smith and Buss could see us remain a mid tier team long term. Need to be smart with what we get in return. I'd also be turning CD, Lobb, Macrae into what ever draft picks we can get.

Get more games into Bedendo, Clearly, Garcia etc so we can make quicker decisions on their future.
I don't really agree re losing Smith and Buss as neither has played this year. If we can turn that into an A grader then it's a short term win. I'd like to keep Buss but I've resigned myself to Baz leaving now.

Re CD, Lobb and Macrae unless anyone offers anything decent why would we just get rid of them? If we want to win a flag in the next year or two all 3 are handy. The overrating of draft picks has to stop. A token crappy 3rd rounder for CD does nothing for us. If we aren't under cap pressure it's likely better to keep them all unless they are unhappy (lobb potentially) but I'd also be asking for a 2nd from the saints

No. Neither Smith or Busslinger have played this year and Daniel, Lobb and Macrae haven't done much at all.

First rounder for Smith, early second for Busslinger, third for Lobb, third for Daniel, third for Macrae.

Package the thirds for an early second.

A first and two early seconds.

Package the two early seconds for a first.

Two first rounders. 👍

Mitch Cleary on SEN this morning mentioning something about what Barrass said in the media this week and that it would look foolish if he left now?

Mitch Cleary on SEN this morning mentioning something about what Barrass said in the media this week and that it would look foolish if he left now?
Such is the life of a small club.
  • Contracted, established player of team dropped due to lapse in form: media sharks immediately circling to discuss discontent and which big teams can trade them in at the end of the season for a lowball offer.
  • Rumours of player from cellar dwellar big team looking to move to small club: "foolish"

Tom Barrass (West Coast) and his gettable status

“That is why maybe another reason why Tom Barrass might be gettable because if Tom Barrass nets them the sort of draft picks that can put him in the frame to get a high-grade player and bring them in.

“Let’s not forget that at the moment that Fremantle has three first-rounders, then West Coast may have to look at doing the deal.”

Jedd Busslinger (Western Bulldogs) and links to West Coast

“It's a good question (whether the WA products could look at coming to West Coast).

“Although now with Alex Pearce injured and you start looking at Fremantle’s defensive stocks, how are they going? So, it might not just be West Coast in the mix for him.

“Everyone loved Busslinger and when he went to the Dogs, they thought he was potentially a great leader and a very good player. We haven't seen anything of him at senior level, but it is only his second year. The key positions often take a little bit longer.

“I did hear a whisper a few weeks back that West Coast were into him (Busslinger), and he was a chance to go back to them.”

This was an article on sen this morning from Mark Duffield a WA sen host

I don't really agree re losing Smith and Buss as neither has played this year. If we can turn that into an A grader then it's a short term win. I'd like to keep Buss but I've resigned myself to Baz leaving now.

Re CD, Lobb and Macrae unless anyone offers anything decent why would we just get rid of them? If we want to win a flag in the next year or two all 3 are handy. The overrating of draft picks has to stop. A token crappy 3rd rounder for CD does nothing for us. If we aren't under cap pressure it's likely better to keep them all unless they are unhappy (lobb potentially) but I'd also be asking for a 2nd from the saints
All are on reasonably big money contracts though and especially with the case of CD and Macrae, in theory, the amount they're getting paid is worth more in a trade or free agency market than going to Macrae and Daniel themselves to our on-filed success.

We won't get a club paying 100% of their contract, so that's where the negotiations come in.

FWIW I agree with your logic because the drop off can be very sudden ie if we have to pay 25% of their contract + 75% goes of their salary goes to a new free agent, that may not be worth it. But it makes sense that we're exploring our options for effectively the 10% of the salary cap, the $1.5 million that's going to two players in and out of our best 22.

Such is the life of a small club.
  • Contracted, established player of team dropped due to lapse in form: media sharks immediately circling to discuss discontent and which big teams can trade them in at the end of the season for a lowball offer.
  • Rumours of player from cellar dwellar big team looking to move to small club: "foolish"

Yep. If Collingwood or Essendon or Carlton were interested, ambulance chasers like Cleary would be all over it talking it up as the biggest story known to man. A player going to a 'big' club is a story...

But you're right, as soon as a player is dropped or there's an air of discontent around a club like ours we have the 'he's gone, definitely gone (to a 'big' club - see Smith) and they'll whip it up into a frenzy, constantly stoking the fire.

It's so predictable, so pathetic.

Last edited:
Tom Barrass (West Coast) and his gettable status

“That is why maybe another reason why Tom Barrass might be gettable because if Tom Barrass nets them the sort of draft picks that can put him in the frame to get a high-grade player and bring them in.

“Let’s not forget that at the moment that Fremantle has three first-rounders, then West Coast may have to look at doing the deal.”

Jedd Busslinger (Western Bulldogs) and links to West Coast

“It's a good question (whether the WA products could look at coming to West Coast).

“Although now with Alex Pearce injured and you start looking at Fremantle’s defensive stocks, how are they going? So, it might not just be West Coast in the mix for him.

“Everyone loved Busslinger and when he went to the Dogs, they thought he was potentially a great leader and a very good player. We haven't seen anything of him at senior level, but it is only his second year. The key positions often take a little bit longer.

“I did hear a whisper a few weeks back that West Coast were into him (Busslinger), and he was a chance to go back to them.”

This was an article on sen this morning from Mark Duffield a WA sen host
So he read big footy….whisper…lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back