Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t blame Garcia for looking elsewhere. Little justification to have VDM, McNeil and Gallagher in the side over him. There comes a point where talent wins out over ‘coachability’, and imo Garcia compared to those two - especially McNeil and Gallagher - is clear cut.

If he’s being dropped for brain fades and to learn to adapt to the rules I’d like to see Bailey Williams pay up for his 50m penalties.

It depends which narrative we accept. And which came first.

Bevo says he's in the twos because he copped some bewildering umpiring decisions and it affected his confidence. I'm calling BS. First time in my life I've heard of a player being dropped for that. It's laughable.

The other story doing the rounds is that he's being punished for having the temerity to tour Kat Park in the middle of the season. That's not been substantiated but it's more plausible to me than dropping a player because he had a couple of bad umpiring decisions go against him.

If so, he was looking elsewhere before these other blokes were playing in the seniors (and he wasn't). So being dropped couldn't have been his motivation for exploring elsewhere. And if it was true (I repeat that it's still not substantiated) it would have been pretty dumb of him to get caught doing that.

It's fine to give him a lecture. Maybe even drop him as a disciplinary measure for one game. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Unless he is rehabilitated soon we would almost certainly be in the process of pushing him out the door, intentionally or otherwise.

He's just the sort of busy tier 2 player Geelong would love and would turn into a success. Perfect age too, 23 years. Thanks for priming him for us, Doggies.

Let's not turn ourselves into a feeder club FFS.

Bevo says he's in the twos because he copped some bewildering umpiring decisions and it affected his confidence. I'm calling BS. First time in my life I've heard of a player being dropped for that. It's laughable.

The other story doing the rounds is that he's being punished for having the temerity to tour Kat Park in the middle of the season. That's not been substantiated but it's more plausible to me than dropping a player because he had a couple of bad umpiring decisions go against him.

If so, he was looking elsewhere before these other blokes were playing in the seniors (and he wasn't). So being dropped couldn't have been his motivation for exploring elsewhere. And if it was true (I repeat that it's still not substantiated) it would have been pretty dumb of him to get caught doing that.

It's fine to give him a lecture. Maybe even drop him as a disciplinary measure for one game. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Unless he is rehabilitated soon we would almost certainly be in the process of pushing him out the door, intentionally or otherwise.

He's just the sort of busy tier 2 player Geelong would love and would turn into a success. Perfect age too, 23 years. Thanks for priming him for us, Doggies.

Bottom line Garcia should have been playing and should play this week and going forward.

Agree umpiring decisions impacted his confidence therefore dropped - Bev we are not stupid please

The players I compared Sanders to pre-draft were Jack Macrae, Tom Mitchell and Brad Crouch. All good players that have seen their impact lessen somewhat in recent years with the increased premium on pace.

He’ll be a good player, but it won’t be until he’s a full-time inside mid and his stoppage work can offset his lack of pace.

The players I compared Sanders to pre-draft were Jack Macrae, Tom Mitchell and Brad Crouch. All good players that have seen their impact lessen somewhat in recent years with the increased premium on pace.

He’ll be a good player, but it won’t be until he’s a full-time inside mid and his stoppage work can offset his lack of pace.
Yeah I think he projects as a Ben Cunnington type. Very smart on the inside.

I think there's an alternative narrative...a 3rd one.

Yes Bevo said that umpiring decisions affected his confidence and yes it's been rumoured he has toured Geelongs facilities.

However, I believe both those things came after he alluded to Garcia's lack of cleanliness (in a footballing sense as opposed to a personal hygiene sense) around about the Lions game aftermath.

My spin on that would go down a predictability to team mates path....but if that is the main area for improvement, it's not terminal.

Last edited:
In a heartbeat I'd have him over English. He's an upgrade on Sweet, who I would have ahead of English

And he can perform concussion tests on the field I think he has a medical background in neuroscience

I think there's analternative narrative...a 3rd one.

Yes Bevo said that umpiring decisions affected his confidence and yes it's been rumoured he has toured Geelongs facilities.

However, I believe both those things came after he alluded to Garcia's lack of cleanliness (in a footballing sense as opposed to a personal hygiene sense) around about the Lions game aftermath.

My spin on that would go down a predictability to team mates path....but if that is the main area for improvement, it's not terminal.

Who cares whatever BS excuse not to play him.

The point is that the team is getting penalised. Garcia is exactly the sort of player (quick aggressive mids) we needed on Saturday. Slow mids are killing us.

Who cares whatever BS excuse not to play him.

The point is that the team is getting penalised. Garcia is exactly the sort of player (quick aggressive mids) we needed on Saturday. Slow mids are killing us.
My post is simply a take on why he has been ommitted. As stated, if that is the reason, it's not terminal imo.

No doubt the midfield combination requires ongoing scrutiny. Very clearly, that is where we were primarily beaten...badly...by skill and pace and want.

No issue with Garcia being part of the solution. And if cleanliness and predictability was part of the problem, there's no reason to assume he hasn't been working on it in the interim as a professional footballer.

Happy to get a look this week.

I think there's analternative narrative...a 3rd one.

So what you are saying is Riley got the arse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like Nick Austin to have a crack at Garcia. Unfortunately we're as slow and lumbering as you blokes.

Just get slaughtered by outside run if the oppositions got wheels.
This board would spew if we lost him.

Got skill, pace and loads of potential (plus a little campaigner in him).

Man I woke up and saw the Bailey smith article on HS and thought he re-signed but it's all about his business.

For as long as I’ve been watching footy there’s been a focus on speed in the midfield and there’s no correlation with speed and success. Port’s midfield have struggled against Adelaide recently without even having Rankine in there because players with speed invariably have a physical weakness as well, someone such as Dangerfield being an exception. Bont’s not quick but a midfield rotation of Bont clones would dominate every midfield every game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Except he has been getting games on a consistent basis this year, and the time he was reputedly touring Geelong facilities was when he was playing in the ones. I think it’s a beat up myself. If he had toured Geelong, someone in the media would have got a whiff.

Except he has been getting games on a consistent basis this year, and the time he was reputedly touring Geelong facilities was when he was playing in the ones. I think it’s a beat up myself. If he had toured Geelong, someone in the media would have got a whiff.
Yeah I reckon the Garcia one is all BS. The media would never miss something like that. They have snitches at every club, who would be on the phone straight away telling them that this player is at the club right now. And contrary to what some might think, not every player is like Jong. Next to no one on a current contract, would tour another team in the middle of the season. Its disrespectful from all parties involved, towards the current club. Jong was a massive stuff up by both him, and the Pies.

If Garcia did indeed tour Geelong facilities mid season, and nominated them at the end of the year. I would personally tell both him and the Cats to get effed, he can pick another club instead. Geelong apparently do have form with trying to unsettle contracted players at existing clubs.

I think Smith would have been more likely to stay put with us as well. But I reckon other clubs have been deliberately trying to unsettle him, take advantage of his mental health issues, offering a fresh environment, to make him think twice etc. Would not surprise me if dirty tactics like that happen.

Last edited:
Leadership and x-factor lacking after last game Weightman is the only player that has x-factor except JUH but he's inconsistent. Bont needs help in the leadership group. Barrass & Rayner the targets that cover each problem and probably the main ones. If not Rayner who is a good x-factor player? Or not Barrass who do they target that has leadership qualities.

Leadership and x-factor lacking after last game Weightman is the only player that has x-factor except JUH but he's inconsistent. Bont needs help in the leadership group. Barrass & Rayner the targets that cover each problem and probably the main ones. If not Rayner who is a good x-factor player? Or not Barrass who do they target that has leadership qualities.
x-factor just means a player that's good sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back