Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, I think the cap space could be better spent elsewhere. Remember we’ve still got Buss developing nicely and Buku is also showing a lot of improvement.
Secondly, it’s fraught with danger to commit 5 years to a guy with a debilitating back condition. Backs don’t get any better as you age into your 30’s
Personally, I think it's much more fraught to have future expectations of AFL contributions from a player who is even yet to make a debut (Busslinger), even accepting our confidence with our contract re-signing, when compared to the fact that Barrass is contributing every week now as it stands, irrespective of whatever injury he may or may not have or be injured.

If we're talking about being fraught with the future, the risk is much more likely that Busslinger never kicks on and either never plays or never plays anything meaningful beyond "lets see how good this guy is at AFL level" than it is likely that Barrass' injuries somehow cause future issues.

5 years on big money for a 30yo bloke who struggles to get out of bed? Surely this can’t be true.
With the Lobb move to defence looking like a winner you’d think our interest would’ve cooled.

This makes me very nervous? Lobb moving back and the emergence of Buku, JOD and hopefully Buss I think there plenty to work with. If Jones can stay fit for another 12 months we should be good. Unless Pratt has some inside knowledge I’d be leaving this one alone.

He has 3 years left on his contract and is looking to get another 2 years on more money. He's trying to get that from Eagles.
Yeah I get that he may be using us as leverage, every manager does it. My issue with what Tom’s reporting is not so much that he’s asking for 5 years but that we’re offering it.
So what next if WC don’t come to the party?

Personally, I think it's much more fraught to have future expectations of AFL contributions from a player who is even yet to make a debut (Busslinger), even accepting our confidence with our contract re-signing, when compared to the fact that Barrass is contributing every week now as it stands, irrespective of whatever injury he may or may not have or be injured.

If we're talking about being fraught with the future, the risk is much more likely that Busslinger never kicks on and either never plays or never plays anything meaningful beyond "lets see how good this guy is at AFL level" than it is likely that Barrass' injuries somehow cause future issues.
Sorry mate can’t agree. Not with an injury like that and an aging body. Would be irresponsible by the club.

Unlike Barrass, If Busslinger is a bust he’s not costing 5 years commitment and a large chunk of our salary cap.
By all means, if you believe when need to target another key defender fine but think we should look elsewhere.

This makes me very nervous? Lobb moving back and the emergence of Buku, JOD and hopefully Buss I think there plenty to work with. If Jones can stay fit for another 12 months we should be good. Unless Pratt has some inside knowledge I’d be leaving this one alone.
Don’t forget Croft.

Yeah I get that he may be using us as leverage, every manager does it. My issue with what Tom’s reporting is not so much that he’s asking for 5 years but that we’re offering it.
So what next if WC don’t come to the party?
He just stays at West Coast I guess? I personally think he'd still be a good get for us. Liam Jones will be 34 in February next year, and Lobby (if this form sustains) will be 32. It will also allow JOD to actually develop at a more reasonable pace, rather than be thrown to the wolves like he has.

Lobb has been great the past few weeks but we shouldn’t change our list plans based on a hot patch of form.

If we think Barrass is healthy and can play at a similar level for the next 3+ years, go for it. He’s better than all our defenders except Liam Jones who won’t have too long left.

5 years sounds too long but does a backline of Jones, Lobb and Barrass sound like a couple of flags next two seasons ala Lake to Hawks?

FWIW i think abort….but what do i know
If that's our tall defensive unit for 2 years, how many of Khamis, JOD, Busslinger, Coffield, Croft do we lose?

Things have changed. Our tall defensive stocks are suddenly looking pretty deep.

Couldn't justify significant draft capital on a further option, and an aging, proppy one at that

He just stays at West Coast I guess? I personally think he'd still be a good get for us. Liam Jones will be 34 in February next year, and Lobby (if this form sustains) will be 32. It will also allow JOD to actually develop at a more reasonable pace, rather than be thrown to the wolves like he has.
Sorry, I meant if WC don’t give him 5 years - are we going to follow through with the offer?

Seems I’m likely in the minority here. He’s obviously a high quality defender and minus the injury I’d be saying do whatever you can to get him on the plane over. But after reading this I think it’s a huge risk.

Jones, Barrass, Naughton, JUH and Darcy gives us some of the best talls in the comp at both ends of the ground. That is insane quality. Hard to pass that up if the opportunity is there while the comp is wide open.

With JoD, Lobb, Busslinger, Croft all currently under contract and Buku pending a re-sign.

I’m guessing this probably doesn’t happen and Barrass stays, West Coast would be unwise to let go of senior players at this juncture and turn into North.

There are more pressing needs but who knows what opportunities actually exist, if this one is there to be taken I’m not against it.

I strongly believe that JOD will move into a wing role at some point
So you can shift him away with Freijah to free up room

Buku would excel having that extra tall defender and we won't lose any speed since Dale will still be playing half back

5 years on big money for a 29yo bloke who struggles to get out of bed? Surely this can’t be true.
With the Lobb move to defence looking like a winner you’d think our interest would’ve cooled.

You can see at the 0.32 mark when Tom Morris is literally making it up, looking up diagonally and speculating about the impact to Rory Lobb. This rumour, and alleged offer, looks completely fictional to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb, Jones and Barrass can all work in our defensive system

Lobb and Jones play interceptor while Barrass takes the brute forward
Could they? Sure.

What do you then plan on doing with JOD, Buku & Buss? I'd be hoping all are pushing for regular senior selection (as JOD & Buku are).

Could they? Sure.

What do you then plan on doing with JOD, Buku & Buss? I'd be hoping all are pushing for regular senior selection (as JOD & Buku are).
Shift JOD to a wing role (bevo hinted this a few times)
Buss is just the Jones replacement for me, so if Jones struggles
Buss comes in
Buku stays in defense off the bench or is used as the Coffield role

The dees trading for Steven may and Jake lever probably won them the flag in 2021 . Could barass be our Steven may

5 years sounds too long but does a backline of Jones, Lobb and Barrass sound like a couple of flags next two seasons ala Lake to Hawks?

FWIW i think abort….but what do i know
We don't even know how well Jones will gel with Lobb let alone Barrass, Lobb and Jones. .

Plus the draft cost will be huge. Barrass is quality but he's under contract so will cost overs.

I’m on the leave Barrass on the table side. Why give up a first round draft pick and 5 years of Salary cap for something we already have? A 30 year old key defender who is a season to season proposition?
In the Bevo interview last week, he mentioned that our tall defensive stocks are pretty good. Buss is waiting for an opportunity. Keath is back from injury. JOD and Jones are on the comeback trail and Croft can take his sweet time getting his body right without a lot of pressure.
All that sitting in reserve and we just beat Carlton and Geelong without missing them at all.
I think a burst midfielder and small forward are bigger priorities. If we had one more gun to complement West and Weightman, I think our team is pretty complete.

Sorry mate can’t agree. Not with an injury like that and an aging body. Would be irresponsible by the club.

Unlike Barrass, If Busslinger is a bust he’s not costing 5 years commitment and a large chunk of our salary cap.
By all means, if you believe when need to target another key defender fine but think we should look elsewhere.
Also ties up another first round pick (at the least) into our key defensive stocks.
Personally I see Barrass struggling to last the 3 years he is currently contracted for let alone 2 more on top of that. Back injuries aren't something to take lightly.

Tom Morris also Reported this today on Sen

Tim English (Western Bulldogs)

“Tim English is the other one.

“Rivals believe this deal at West Coast is six years and not as lucrative financially as it once was.

“The Dogs have five on the table. That's where it's at and I don't think the Dogs are going to shift too much given Luke Beverage's views on ruckmen.

“He can leave if he wants and I think that looks more likely now than staying.”

Also ties up another first round pick (at the least) into our key defensive stocks.
Personally I see Barrass struggling to last the 3 years he is currently contracted for let alone 2 more on top of that. Back injuries aren't something to take lightly.
I'd ask about the uncontracted Ed Langdon. Covers ground better than any player in the comp and if we get two years out of him that means Freijah can step in straight away to a wing role when Langdon is done.

I'd still like us to look at a small lockdown defender too but it looks like Duryea is playing well enough to get a contract for next year

I'd ask about the uncontracted Ed Langdon. Covers ground better than any player in the comp and if we get two years out of him that means Freijah can step in straight away to a wing role when Langdon is done.

I'd still like us to look at a small lockdown defender too but it looks like Duryea is playing well enough to get a contract for next year
Duryea's career is in his own hands, if he wants to play on then there is another year there for him.

Tom Morris also Reported this today on Sen

Tim English (Western Bulldogs)

“Tim English is the other one.

“Rivals believe this deal at West Coast is six years and not as lucrative financially as it once was.

“The Dogs have five on the table. That's where it's at and I don't think the Dogs are going to shift too much given Luke Beverage's views on ruckmen.

He can leave if he wants and I think that looks more likely now than staying.

He can leave if he wants and I think that looks more likely now than staying.

Interesting as this seems to be going against what most are saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back