Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sends a pretty poor message to the bloke whose place he takes in the GF too. If you knew for sure he was the difference between winning the GF and losing it you'd do it for sure. But after a year out he could be very rusty, deliver less than the bloke he replaces and in doing so we'd alienate one of our up and comers like Sanders or Garcia.
No way you'd do it. For the exact reasons you state. If he was Bont or Daicos level good you might think about it but he's nowhere near that class.

Only way it makes any sense to part with a 1R for Barrass is if WCE are still stumping up $2.1m of his salary (I think he has 3 years left on $700k) and we pay and extra $500k per year or something over 5 years.

Interesting seeing the two extremes in this Barrass talks. Eagles fans claiming he is Matthew Scarlett and will cost two first round picks, Doggies fans who say he is no good and a cripple.

In my view he’s more likely than unlikely to be at the dogs next year. Things have changed significantly since he asked his manager to explore his options.
He said it himself that he just wants to play senior footy. Now that he may have found his place in the side and performing well why would he want to leave?
Lobb is a mercenary. He may have found a role down back but I still have a feeling he’d rather be kicking goals. If another club comes knocking with a forward line spot and an extra year I’m confident he’d be interested.

Of course we’d be highly unlikely to entertain anything now though

Interesting seeing the two extremes in this Barrass talks. Eagles fans claiming he is Matthew Scarlett and will cost two first round picks, Doggies fans who say he is no good and a cripple.
I’ve seen them asking for 2 top 10s and a good young player . Would’ve thought 1 first is fair for both teams

To be fair, that crystallises just about every trade discussion on BF

If the trade goes down, we all see him as the missing piece and he becomes peak Brian Lake, and to the Eagles fans he becomes a washed up hack.

Are there any examples of small/mid forwards turning into a genuine midfielder? Stringer runs through occasionally.... who else? Im not talking average players. Cody is a very good forward.

Come to think of it Dahlhaus was our deadlocked shining light in the darkness goalkicker in the early days before moving into midfield
Stevie J.

Jordon Sweet is crap. No idea how people are unhappy we don’t have him anymore. Still can’t believe people would prefer him over English.

He's getting a lot of love on the Port board . One poster even accuses him of keeping Hinkley in a job! They rate him way higher than Soldo.

He's the reverse English - a limited player who leaves nothing on the field and gets by with willpower and aggression.

English is the superior footballer but ...
You know the rest

Not that he’s no good, it’s just a 5 year contract on decent money for a 29 year old is pretty risky business.

He's getting a lot of love on the Port board . One poster even accuses him of keeping Hinkley in a job! They rate him way higher than Soldo.

He's the reverse English - a limited player who leaves nothing on the field and gets by with willpower and aggression.

English is the superior footballer but ...
You know the rest
There's no doubt he's added physicality to Port's stoppage work. He's ahead of English in two stats: hitouts and tackles and that's what some fans and coaches might prefer. If he becomes a regular, valuable work-horse type ruckman for them, good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt he's added physicality to Port's stoppage work. He's ahead of English in two stats: hitouts and tackles and that's what some fans and coaches might prefer. If he becomes a regular, valuable work-horse type ruckman for them, good luck to him.
Bevo doesnt care about that stuff he cares about impact around the ground

I don’t think anyone is saying he is no good. At his best, Barrass would transform our defence and be in the best handful of KPD in the comp.

The issue is the significant risk he comes with. He’s 29 with a potential major red flag injury. When you add in the cost, both salary and trade capital wise and the emergence of Lobb, it’s clear it’s not likely the best use of our limited resources.

I find the fact that eagles fans think they’d get more than a very late first/early second for Barass hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve seen them asking for 2 top 10s and a good young player . Would’ve thought 1 first is fair for both teams

I find the fact that eagles fans think they’d get more than a very late first/early second for Barass hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If he nominates Hawthorn and their pick is inside 10 then the Eagles will be adding something to Barrass for it.

Bevo doesnt care about that stuff he cares about impact around the ground
Done to death but impact around the ground can mean different things. Sweet/similar ruckman have an impact at every stoppage, I classify that as “around the ground” and more beneficial than being a link up guy which about 15 other players on the ground can do

Just listening to Saturday Crunch Time. Tom Morris believes we have offered 4 years but could potentially offer a 5th year for Barrass. The belief is that the Bailey Smith trade pick won't be enough and that a 2nd rounder and later pick swaps would be needed at least to sweeten the pot for WCE. Supposedly the deal Barrass is on at West Coast is not that great and he wants out as WCE have reneged on the verbal agreement that was in place.
I personally would've thought that the Smith pick would have been enough. But now if he is not as well paid as was originally reported then it puts WCE in a far stronger position as salary cap has no bearing on the trade.

Just listening to Saturday Crunch Time. Tom Morris believes we have offered 4 years but could potentially offer a 5th year for Barrass. The belief is that the Bailey Smith trade pick won't be enough and that a 2nd rounder and later pick swaps would be needed at least to sweeten the pot for WCE. Supposedly the deal Barrass is on at West Coast is not that great and he wants out as WCE have reneged on the verbal agreement that was in place.
I personally would've thought that the Smith pick would have been enough. But now if he is not as well paid as was originally reported then it puts WCE in a far stronger position as salary cap has no bearing on the trade.
It simultaneously weakens their bargaining position if they don't think he's worth paying much.

I'd be pretty pissed off if we turned Bailey Smith into Barrass without a fair bit coming back OUR way. At least a high second.

What Morris is talking about is ludicrous. We'd be marching on Bulldog HQ with pitchforks and flambeaus if they did that.

It simultaneously weakens their bargaining position if they don't think he's worth paying much.

I'd be pretty pissed off if we turned Bailey Smith into Barrass without a fair bit coming back OUR way. At least a high second.

What Morris is talking about is ludicrous. We'd be marching on Bulldog HQ with pitchforks and flambeaus if they did that.
Yep that's want eagles want. I think it can be done for future 1st and 30*. Hopefully a swap of future 3rds too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back