Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him against the dogs earlier in the year. His the only ruck I’ve seen take smith to the cleaners this year.

Madden and Stanley for mine. There were a few times that Smith lost on the day but he was completely outpointed by both men.

Ive had a change of mind after watching his last few weeks

I'll throw a one year deal to keep Dom
His forward craft has really improved this year

Will still need to delist / trade around 5 players, so who makes way for him ?
- Smith, Keath, ODriscoll / Rypstra

Will still need to delist / trade around 5 players, so who makes way for him ?
- Smith, Keath, ODriscoll / Rypstra
My guess are

Smith- Geelong
O'Driscoll- retirement
Doc- Retirement (Rookie)
Clarke- Delist (potential rookie)
Keath- Retirement
JJ- One year deal or retirement
Rypstra- Delist (potential rookie spot)
McNeil- 1 year (rookie)
Dom- delist (rookie)

3 spots for draft
Two trade in/ free agents

I don’t understand all the calls to delist Clarke . 2nd year on the list has looked good at vfl level and is an early draft pick .

Would be stupid to not give him another year or 2 after drafting him at pick 24

A small forward that has only gone goalless one time this season in the VFL at that. Give another year to develop, same as giving Jones another year and focusing on training him for a role up the ground instead of as a small forward.

After that return to form game
I rather keep Macrae and Daniel
It shows both have the ability to still play good AFL football but I still maintain it’s best to move on one of the two this offseason (not sure who).

It’s more around overall list balance and use of our salary cap. Today was probably the only game all season that Caleb actually had a positive influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to Macrae and Daniel, I think we can only keep one of them going forward and the other should be moved on. Just too expensive a depth option.
It would be Daniel out for mine if it came to that

With Smith, Daniel, Keath and JJ possibly all gone at the end of this year, supporters of opposition clubs who think our cap is bursting at the seams are in for the rudest of shocks. My body is ready for some all-time classic melts when instead of losing players, we instead go shopping for some of their free agents over the next few years, even while we're busy signing up the next generation of dominant father-sons.

Last edited:
With Smith, Daniel, Keath and JJ possibly all gone at the end of this year, supporters of opposition clubs who think our cap is bursting at the seams are in for the rudest of shocks. My body is ready for some all-time classic melts when instead of losing players, we instead go shopping for some of their free agents over the next few years, even while we're busy signing up the next generation of dominant father-sons.
Smith would be on a decent salary already having signed towards the end of 2022 and Daniel’s deal was pretty good ($700k?) but not sure if it indexed up with the salary cap increase. Keath and JJ’s contracts wouldn’t have been particularly big dollars.

More than 2 million bucks out of the cap for the four of them. Probably closer to 2.4 mil. Considering most will be replaced by draftees and no-name trades, we could easily afford, say, a Petracca, at least salary-cap wise. It sounds like next year is when we'll go shopping though.

Why wait? Now is the time to pounce.

Imagine Petracca getting it off to Bont and Bont laces it out to Darcy. 🔥

More than 2 million bucks out of the cap for the four of them. Probably closer to 2.4 mil. Considering most will be replaced by draftees and no-name trades, we could easily afford, say, a Petracca, at least salary-cap wise. It sounds like next year is when we'll go shopping though.
Yep, might not be quite that big as some will be eaten up by Jamarra’s increased salary from next year and similar cases but you’re right it will still be pretty sizeable especially given the negligible on-field contribution from that group this year.

What have you actually heard about this info, cause the person i speak to that tells me stuff has not mentioned it.
The dogs have been keeping an eye on Rayner for a long time. He will be fielding free agency offers next year but he has been sounded out in case he wants to come home a year earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back