Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Power - "So Cats, you want to trade for Smith"

Cats - yeah yeah yeah

Power - "your round 1 picks for the next 5 seasons"

Cats - we'll get back to you

2 mins later

Cats - yeah we'll do it. Chris Scott has told us no expense shall be spared...

Power -

1724129253756.gif

* for those reading that missed the obvious

1724129169116.gif

Move an AA form ruckman to the fwd line to accomodate a C Grade ruckman?

Which coaches would’ve tried that?

Would have to be desperate and on the verge of losing your job to give that a go.

They should have played more together in 2022. Once we got Lobb (even though he was putrid for the first 15 games last year) and had Darcy coming through it did become a English vs Sweet situation, where you are always going to choose English even with his deficiencies.

In 2022 though it is just stubbornness to not play them together. We played Zaine Cordy as a forward/ruck for the first 10 games or so, gave Buku Khamis a game as forward/ruck, even tried to split ruck with a 47yo Martin and then finally gave Josh Bruce off an ACL who couldn't jump or move sideways five games. There is no way that splitting the ruck between the two or even playing Sweet forward/2nd ruck was a worse option than what we decided to go with.

It's a moot point now regardless. Think Sweet would've seen the writing on the wall even if he was given games in 2022. I'm happy he is having a solid season.

Would like to find a high end small forward to move past vdm and McNeil
Joe Richards, Sam Wicks.
Neither are huge names really, but both can play - and from what I've seen they have a bit of toe and can tackle which are the two things we're looking for.

Joe Richards, Sam Wicks.
Neither are huge names really, but both can play - and from what I've seen they have a bit of toe and can tackle which are the two things we're looking for.

I don't know if Wicks is too much of an upgrade. Certainly not against him, I think he is decent but very similar to McNeil, can be a bit dodgy with ball in hand but probably with a more consistent defensive game, which I guess is why he is more of a regular. Think since McNeil came back in his defensive work has been great and he is a handy player to have in the side. It's when thats quite not there that his fumbling and poor ball use gets frustrating.

I've liked what I've seen from Richards so far. Seemed to fit in seamlessly at AFL level. Surprised his name has been amongst the rumours. Guessing he has only been offered a one year deal and is searching for more, I don't know. Looks a good prospect even as a mature ager, looks like he uses it pretty well on both sides.

They should have played more together in 2022. Once we got Lobb (even though he was putrid for the first 15 games last year) and had Darcy coming through it did become a English vs Sweet situation, where you are always going to choose English even with his deficiencies.

In 2022 though it is just stubbornness to not play them together. We played Zaine Cordy as a forward/ruck for the first 10 games or so, gave Buku Khamis a game as forward/ruck, even tried to split ruck with a 47yo Martin and then finally gave Josh Bruce off an ACL who couldn't jump or move sideways five games. There is no way that splitting the ruck between the two or even playing Sweet forward/2nd ruck was a worse option than what we decided to go with.

It's a moot point now regardless. Think Sweet would've seen the writing on the wall even if he was given games in 2022. I'm happy he is having a solid season.
The club had rightfully decided by 2022 that English and Sweet were both first rucks who would be ineffective if they weren't playing most of their minutes in a given game in as the first ruck.

In 2022, we also gave two games to Sweet and English together. Sweet was the second ruck in both games (the decision to make English first ruck was simply he was the better player and could influence the game more being involved in it more often), but Sweet did ruck more than your usual second ruck.

R11, win vs. West Coast - English 3 Brownlow votes as BOG, Sweet 1 kick, 0 goals, 6 disposals, 0 contested marks, 0 marks inside 50, despite Jeremy McGovern being subbed off injured for them.
R18, win vs. St Kilda, Sweet 2 kicks, 6 touches, 0 goals, 0 marks, 0 marks inside 50.

As much as e.g. Cordy was woeful (and indeed we did move past him, including to try Sweet in these two games, by the end of the year), you can see the logic as just not really having an option to pick a 2nd ruck in 2022 that could also play adequate minutes elsewhere.

Any suggestion of not making English our primary first ruck from R1 2022 onward - where he had a good 2022 season - would have just weakened our team as it would have vastly reduced his impact on games, even accepting that we had some weak options to play CHF.

English's poor form post-Bruce injury is the reason for this theory in the 2021 season.

As for Sweet played one game with Soldo this year, his first game for them in R7. Port lost to Collingwood, Sweet was subbed off, and Port have not selected two rucks in a game since. It's not just us that doesn't think Sweet cannot play forward.

People's selective memory is wild here. Sweet is an AFL-capable first ruck no doubt but he was never superseding English and he was incapable of playing any other position on an AFL field than being entirley the first ruck. That was never going to happen for us as English eventually would go on to have an All-Australian season in 2023 (as much as people want to criticise him..), so he moves on for more opportunity. That's fine. We go again by drafting another ruck (Smith) who looks a bit like Sweet in being an AFL-capable ruck.

This stuff happens. Nankervis for instance is not a superstar but is the established first choice ruck for Richmond after being traded out for Sydney, who could have used Nankervis the last few years, several years after they traded him. It doesn't make Sydney, or Nankervis, or the assessment of his talent at the time that he was moved, wrong.

Sam Power will keep Baz and still somehow get a first rounder out of GCS by creating a mega deal that confuses everyone but himself. His current scenario looks like this:

images - 2024-08-20T155822.862.jpeg

According to Foxfooty we wouldn’t get Petracca even if we had the trade resources because we don’t have the bright lights appeal of the big Victorian clubs. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I mean historically it’s hard to argue with this. Just one of a few reasons why free agency will always disadvantage the small clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club had rightfully decided by 2022 that English and Sweet were both first rucks who would be ineffective if they weren't playing most of their minutes in a given game in as the first ruck.

In 2022, we also gave two games to Sweet and English together. Sweet was the second ruck in both games (the decision to make English first ruck was simply he was the better player and could influence the game more being involved in it more often), but Sweet did ruck more than your usual second ruck.

R11, win vs. West Coast - English 3 Brownlow votes as BOG, Sweet 1 kick, 0 goals, 6 disposals, 0 contested marks, 0 marks inside 50, despite Jeremy McGovern being subbed off injured for them.
R18, win vs. St Kilda, Sweet 2 kicks, 6 touches, 0 goals, 0 marks, 0 marks inside 50.

As much as e.g. Cordy was woeful (and indeed we did move past him, including to try Sweet in these two games, by the end of the year), you can see the logic as just not really having an option to pick a 2nd ruck in 2022 that could also play adequate minutes elsewhere.

Any suggestion of not making English our primary first ruck from R1 2022 onward - where he had a good 2022 season - would have just weakened our team as it would have vastly reduced his impact on games, even accepting that we had some weak options to play CHF.

English's poor form post-Bruce injury is the reason for this theory in the 2021 season.

As for Sweet played one game with Soldo this year, his first game for them in R7. Port lost to Collingwood, Sweet was subbed off, and Port have not selected two rucks in a game since. It's not just us that doesn't think Sweet cannot play forward.

People's selective memory is wild here. Sweet is an AFL-capable first ruck no doubt but he was never superseding English and he was incapable of playing any other position on an AFL field than being entirley the first ruck. That was never going to happen for us as English eventually would go on to have an All-Australian season in 2023 (as much as people want to criticise him..), so he moves on for more opportunity. That's fine. We go again by drafting another ruck (Smith) who looks a bit like Sweet in being an AFL-capable ruck.

This stuff happens. Nankervis for instance is not a superstar but is the established first choice ruck for Richmond after being traded out for Sydney, who could have used Nankervis the last few years, several years after they traded him. It doesn't make Sydney, or Nankervis, or the assessment of his talent at the time that he was moved, wrong.

We got 89 disposals, 45 hitouts and 3 goals from the 14 games we selected Cordy and Bruce as the second ruck/forward. I don't think saying anything would have been a better option than that is selective.

As I said it was all made moot when we got Lobb and Darcy came along. Sweet would've left anyway and we would've recruited another ruck like we did. But there is no way I can be convinced now or at the time that playing Cordy and Bruce for as many games as we did in that role was anything but a bad option.

We got 89 disposals, 45 hitouts and 3 goals from the 14 games we selected Cordy and Bruce as the second ruck/forward. I don't think saying anything would have been a better option than that is selective.

As I said it was all made moot when we got Lobb and Darcy came along. Sweet would've left anyway and we would've recruited another ruck like we did. But there is no way I can be convinced now or at the time that playing Cordy and Bruce for as many games as we did in that role was anything but a bad option.

Cordy had a game that year where he had 3 disposals, 1 kick, 0 marks and 1 hit out from 84% time on ground as a forward/ruck.

God that was a shitshow.

But what about all his defensive running that stats don't show?

White Goodman Reaction GIF

According to Foxfooty we wouldn’t get Petracca even if we had the trade resources because we don’t have the bright lights appeal of the big Victorian clubs. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah coz Essendon are just so appealing right now. (Eyeroll).

Best facilities in the league, we just need more supporters going to home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back