Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

With this year's draft being deep and heavily compromised Tas drafts not far away, it's seems a no-brainer to hit this draft as hard as possible.

Struggling clubs looking to trade out top 40 picks out for established players are being borderline negligent for mine, but need to sell that sugar hit.

I don't think we need to join that circus. Get what we can for Baz and whoever wants more opportunity and hopefully get 3 or more picks inside 40.

HOPEFUL DOG WANTS TO STAY
All-Australian Caleb Daniel says he hopes to still be at the Western Bulldogs next year, having appeared to come out the other side of a roller coaster home-and-away season.
The classy ball user was dropped by Luke Beveridge multiple times this season and has played eight games in the VFL, his first state league football since 2017.

But he played in the Dogs’ final five games of the regular season and had a strong outing against GWS on Sunday, kicking a goal from 23 disposals.

When asked by this masthead whether he will be at the Dogs next year, 191-gamer Daniel was not definitive.
“I hope so. At the moment I am contracted for another two years,” he said.
“I’m really excited with the group we have got and keen to keep playing and pushing the case for the next four weeks.”
Daniel, 28, won All-Australian honours and claimed the club’s best-and-fairest in 2020, as a superb halfback distributor.
He has been shifted to a mid-forward role in the last two seasons.

The South Australian product can play multiple positions and is clearly an AFL-standard player but at times has found himself tipped out by Beveridge as the coach moulded a team more based around leg speed.
Teammate Jack Macrae similarly was pushed out but has returned to the side in recent weeks.
Macrae also holds a contract at the Dogs next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with Caleb & Macrae is their salary compared to their output over the next couple of years.

I’m sure the club actually wants to keep both players as they are well loved, very professional and still young enough to continue to make an impact.

The problem is whether the club is willing to continue to pay these guys like they are top 5-7 players at the club when in all reality they seem to sit between 20-26 in the pecking order.

I'm probably at the Pat Lipinski level with Garcia now. I'd be happy to keep him but not too fussed if we lose him, his last run of 3 games were pretty underwhelming.

The South Australian product can play multiple positions and is clearly an AFL-standard player but at times has found himself tipped out by Beveridge as the coach moulded a team more based around leg speed.
Just isolating out this sentence, this is the first time we've seen what is so blatantly obvious to Dogs fan actually be highlighted by anyone in the media all season

I'm probably at the Pat Lipinski level with Garcia now. I'd be happy to keep him but not too fussed if we lose him, his last run of 3 games were pretty underwhelming.
We'd want more midfield depth beyond this though. A lot of our onballers, centre bounce atendees at VFL season other than Macrae, Sanders and Garcia were VFL listed players. Even if it's another cheaper recyled player to draft him or more draftees.

We'd want more midfield depth beyond this though. A lot of our onballers, centre bounce atendees at VFL season other than Macrae, Sanders and Garcia were VFL listed players. Even if it's another cheaper recyled player to draft him or more draftees.
I think we have plenty of midfield depth outside of any new prospective draftees. This was always the draft to look at midfielders so the first we get for Smith should be used there + a later midfielder in the draft. That gives us a good mix for the next 3-5 years as the older brigade transition out.

Older - Libba, Treloar, Macrae
Still going - Bont, Harmes
Younger - Richards, Sanders, Gallagher

The issue with Caleb & Macrae is their salary compared to their output over the next couple of years.

I’m sure the club actually wants to keep both players as they are well loved, very professional and still young enough to continue to make an impact.

The problem is whether the club is willing to continue to pay these guys like they are top 5-7 players at the club when in all reality they seem to sit between 20-26 in the pecking order.

So you reckon the club would be open to moving them on

I think Garcia is the kind of player now that is worth far more to us than what we'd get for him if he left. He can play midfield and pinch hit as a pressure forward, yet we'd be lucky to get an early third round pick for him. Would definitely prefer to keep him, but as history shows, if they're not signed on now, they're far more likely to be out the door than staying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back