Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're after a former GC small defender the pick wouldn't be Darcy MacPherson, it would be Jez McLennan (is Jez his actual first name and not a nickname? gee) who is had an oustanding year in the SANFL.

What makes you say that? (Not having a dig).

He's aggressive, can run all game and is strong in the air. I don't know about his defensive pressure. He's poor by foot.
He might be able to run all game but from my eye - he doesn't. His defensive pressure and running are among the weaker aspects of his game, and he's not damaging enough offensively to compensate for it.

I'm a big fan of his athletic attributes and thought he'd make it, but I think wing is his worst position personally. I'm more surprised he hasn't gotten an extended run as an intercepting defender.

Anyway, he's the type that it's time to move on from IMO. There's not really been progression since his first couple years, despite getting a cleaner run at it of late. He's a long way from making the team and doesn't have a path in unless there's a massive uptick in form, which we have no reason to expect.

He's the clearest delisting we have by quite a margin, but I understand and agree that it's a shame to lose someone with his attributes.

Bit of an exercise here.

While we are one of the lowest turnover teams, on average we still turn over just a tick under 8 players on average. I'm seeing a lot of posters only make 4 or 5 list changes which might happen, but the last 4 years we've been very consistent with the amount of changes and pretty much hit our average. So sticking to that, if Sam Power put a gun to your head and told you we need to cut 8 players who would they be?

I'd say these are the most likely to come under consideration. Trade, retire, delist do whatever.

Bedendo
Rypstra
Clarke
Keath
Scott
O’Driscoll
Smith
Garcia
Macrae
Daniel
Khamis
JJ
Bedendo gone
Rypstra 1 yr re-rookie(we tend to give them that)
Clarke maybe rookie or delist
Keath retire
Scott delist
O’dris retired
Smith … wait and see
Garcia probable trade
Mcrae keep
Daniel trade/keep
Khamis delist
Jj retire

My opinion
Edit throw in clearly and or gardner as a delist aswell

Bedendo gone
Keath retire
Scott delist
O’dris retired
Smith … wait and see
Garcia probable trade
Mcrae keep
Daniel trade/keep
Khamis delist
Jj retire

My opinion
That'd be too many on the rookie list wouldn't it?

Bedendo gone
Keath retire
Scott delist
O’dris retired
Smith … wait and see
Garcia probable trade
Mcrae keep
Daniel trade/keep
Khamis delist
Jj retire

My opinion
You can't keep Rypstra and delist Clarke/Khamis/Scott lol

Strange he was on the list for 4 years and not given an AFL game. I'm guessing injuries?
Not as much as trading in other half backs over the years instead of taking a look at him: Ellis, Constable, Markov, Atkins, Long etc.

Scott delist

If you're gonna make posts like this, at least look up who is and who isn't currently contracted. We will not and cannot delist Scott, Gardner or Cleary as all of them are contracted for 2025, and in Gardner and Cleary's case, to 2026 as well.

If you're gonna make posts like this, at least look up who is and who isn't currently contracted. We will not and cannot delist Scott, Gardner or Cleary as all of them are contracted for 2025, and in Gardner and Cleary's case, to 2026 as well.
Essendon delisted James Stewart last year and he had a year left on his contract. So yes clubs can definitely do it

You think contracts mean anything these days? If we delist we pay them.

Rumblings of Bailey Smith agreeing to a two year deal with the Dogs

Though I'm backing my off to Geelong source over this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still hearing that Smith may sign with the Dogs. Not a Bulldogs source, but Melbourne and Hawthorn connections have been telling me this for months now.

Last edited:
I just can't buy into Baz signing a long term deal with anyone. His market value is an all time low right now. He is better off signing a short deal and backing himself to get back to his best. If he signs a long one now, and hits AA form. He could cost himself 100s of thousands. Though a long term deal at least offers security.

I just can't buy into Baz signing a long term deal with anyone. His market value is an all time low right now. He is better off signing a short deal and backing himself to get back to his best. If he signs a long one now, and hits AA form. He could cost himself 100s of thousands. Though a long term deal at least offers security.
The only thing I can think of is if he could sign longer term non-playing commercial deals with a longer contract. In saying that, I have no idea if Cotton On, Monster Energy, etc. offer multi year brand partnerships.

I think JJ gets a year. Maybe Keath goes one more year. Love him around the club.
Bendendo looks in trouble and have heard Rypstra won’t be offered an extension. I find that tough for the young man. Two hammys after a big injury probably tells the club his body won’t hold up.
Would be tough on him, just wondering how he might go if he had a proper preseason to properly prepare if that would make a difference. Trust the club to make the right call

The mass post deletions on this board would be fun to see

Interesting. Has me thinking, once again, what is/was his motivation for wanting to leave?
There’s lot of genuine reasons here. More centre bounce midfield time, a significantly better & longer contract or even just a fresh slate after a difficult two year period.

If he stays with us in 2025, all those reasons still remain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back