Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Swans vs GWS game showcases how far behind our midfield is in terms of speed

We did go 3-1 against these teams throughout the year. Absolutely pantsed the GWS midfield twice. I think we made their midfield look slow on those days too. Obviously it means little now.

Have to move English out of the ruck now. Play him forward and make him a rich man’s Todd Marshall. Or trade him, my preferred option but he just signed on.

The forward line can’t take English along side JUH, Astro and Darcy

Darcy is better as a forward, Astro will need to stay there. English will just have to keep playing ruck & backline.

Having JUH and Astro together on the forward line hasn’t been working, they just keep getting in each others way

Watching the Swans vs GWS game showcases how far behind our midfield is in terms of speed

Richards has helped that at lot, imagine our midfield speed without him..

Sanders is slow but will be a good inside mid, but we need a mid such as Butters or Warner who can break the game purely from their speed.

At the very least, we need some fast wingers. I like truck but with our slow midfield we need some fast outside mids at the bare minimum.

Darcy is better as a forward, Astro will need to stay there. English will just have to keep playing ruck & backline.

Having JUH and Astro together on the forward line hasn’t been working, they just keep getting in each others way
We simply can’t move forward with Tim in the ruck. As much as we want him to be he’s not a ruckman.

Darcy must take up the no.1 ruck role next year. He’s already far stronger in the contest than Tim and has the mongrel needed to be competitive.
Tim’s strengths, however, is his marking and kicking. He is a great mark and a far more reliable shot at goal than both Jamarra and Naughts.
I think it’s a viable setup we need to trial.

Might be blasphemy, but I wouldn’t be against trading Juh if we can nab 3 first rounders out of it and replenish the midfield.

Is Duryea contracted next year? I really think we need a new dependable back pocket player. I don't think we have one on our list to replace him?

Any idea what we do here? Could Garcia handle a role change? He has some mongrel at least. Anyone we could trade for to fill this gap?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be blasphemy, but I wouldn’t be against trading Juh if we can nab 3 first rounders out of it and replenish the midfield.
We currently have a somewhat imbalanced list so trading one of English, Jamarra, Naughts (preferably English) might need to happen. Ideally not what you’d want and it wouldn’t be popular but trading for A graders in areas of need requires substantial currency.
The only untouchable tall on our list is Darcy.

We currently have a somewhat imbalanced list so trading one of English, Jamarra, Naughts (preferably English) might need to happen. Ideally not what you’d want and it wouldn’t be popular but trading for A graders in areas of need requires substantial currency.

If I was English or his manager, I’d be having that tough talk that #1 ruck isn’t the be all & end all. Focus on being a forward-ruck, that he’d likely be the best in the comp at being.

Not a good fit at the Dogs with Naughton, JUH & Darcy (possibly Croft on the way too), but that would be super appealing to many other clubs out there. He’d get more money as a KPF-ruck elsewhere, than a ruck anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Hawks at the SCG we win. We’re very one-paced and lack the speed through the midfield which gets exposed on bigger grounds like the G

How good was it playing the lower ranked side at their home ground? 🤪

Anyway, Butters is head and shoulders top of my list.

Is Duryea contracted next year? I really think we need a new dependable back pocket player. I don't think we have one on our list to replace him?

Any idea what we do here? Could Garcia handle a role change? He has some mongrel at least. Anyone we could trade for to fill this gap?

Not sure if there's much available trade wise.

There's a fair few available in the draft at least. Harry Oliver won't take long and would get games next year. Oliver Hannaford is another that's well built. He's been playing forward more now though, kicked 6 goals today and could replace McNeil or VDM potentially too. Then there's Lachie Jaques and Angus Clarke, but they may take a bit more time.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gallagher.

Sam Switkowski is available.

Interesting, should be someone we're interested in. Regularly in the top couple of small forwards for pressure acts, tackles and tackles inside 50. Doesn't really hit the scoreboard though but maybe that's not priority one for us.

Champion Data always overrate him. They always overrate us. Match made in heaven.

I said this end of last year but we need to stop hanging on to this current generation and do a proper quick rebuild. Love Macrae and Daniel but we should see what we can get back for them. Move on Scott, Gardner, Keath and Duryea - possibly JJ depending on his body. We'll suffer for a year or two but I'd rather that if it means we can become a proper contender.

2027 we could easily be back in finals with a refreshed side something like:
Bramble (29) - Busslinger (23) - TBC
Freijah (21) - O'Donnell (25) - Dale (31)
Williams (29) - Sanders (22) - TBC
Darcy (24) - Naughton (27) - TBC
Weightman (26) - JUH (25) - West (27)
English (30) - Bont (31) - Richards (28)

Think our main focuses should be all around pace. A quick small forward to replace McNeil/Vandermeer, a small defender to replace Duryea and another couple of young midfielders - I'd like to see us try West in their full-time for a bit and if he's not up to it, can stay forward.

Agree with this, think we need to take a step back to go forward to catch the end of Bont. Otherwise we continue to hang around the middle which is the worst place to be.

Next year Sanders, Garcia, Coffield, Gallagher to play as many games as possible and have bigger roles.
Buss and JOD given every game possible.

Macrae, Daniel, Keath, JJ gone and dare i say, my all time fav Libba to roll as the sub a fair bit.

And even though Clarke's debut was one of the worst, i see a bit of small forward spunk about him and want to see him have more opportunity.

English and Darcy 50/50 ruck.

Last edited:
We do not have an imbalanced list. We have an underdeveloped list. Still need a good small forward but really need more midfield grunt. Maybe have that on the list at the moment, B Smith, hope he stays here

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We do not have an imbalanced list. We have an underdeveloped list. Still need a good small forward but really need more midfield grunt. Maybe have that on the list at the moment, B Smith, hope he stays here

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have an abundance of talls with deficiencies in the midfield, wings and small forwards. That’s an imbalance.

Who, apart from Sanders, in those particular positions are underdeveloped? Maybe Arty but there’s still question marks on whether or not he’ll make it. Freijah could possibly move to a wing at some stage but that’s still a while off.
And I’m working under the assumption that Bailey is gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back