Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garcia is a fast tough midfielder with avg kicking ability imo

Ideally, I see Joel and Sanders playing more AFL mid next year so unsure where he fits there
I'm almost certain there will be midfield opportunities at AFL level next year. Our options are mostly either 30+ or <22. Based on selection patterns, though, I don't think Garcia will be considered as a big part of that rotation in any way.

Have I missed something with all the Cleary hate and wanting to delist/pay out as he has a contract?

He’s been solid in the VFL, he has always performed when called upon to play AFL.

Is he a starter in our best team? No

Is he a liability when called on at AFL level? No

Is he decent depth that can be relied upon for a game now and then? Yes

You can’t have 40 best 23 players you need depth and role players on minimum money contracts.
Yes, you need depth and role players, absolutely. But in three years, in a team that has had its defence under siege at times, he has been viewed as the right man for the job only four times.

He's actually not functioning as depth right now, and his game hasn't really developed in the past 12 months.

I don't mind him, but he doesn't factor into selection at all and is not really progressing at a level that gives you confidence he will in the short-term.

I'm fine with him sticking around, but we need an injection of players in that 15-25 list range, which means opening up spots from those outside of it. He's inarguably 30+ imo which calls his spot on the list into question.

Bedendo I was in favour of keeping last year due to signs he had shown previously. This year he’s had a clear run and hasn’t shown enough. Needs to go.

Keath time to go, he’s even struggled at VFL level at times and we have plenty of depth in our KPD stocks.

Clarke I would delist or at absolute most give a rookie year. He just doesn’t seem to have any great attributes that would see him successful at AFL level.

Rypstra delist injuries and wasn’t impressive when he did play.

Smith and Macrae traded.

Gardner is by far the absolute biggest mistake of Powers time as list manager to extend by so much, he should not be on a list struggles at VFL level. If he was only contracted for next year I’d pay it out but it’s till the end of 2026

Have I missed something with all the Cleary hate and wanting to delist/pay out as he has a contract?

He’s been solid in the VFL, he has always performed when called upon to play AFL.

You can’t have 40 best 23 players you need depth and role players on minimum money contracts.
Exactly. The problem we have is that our 12-20 players are pretty average, if we had a good 1-18 then the role players wouldn’t really matter. We have too many role player types that are automatically selected. That’s not healthy

I'm almost certain there will be midfield opportunities at AFL level next year. Our options are mostly either 30+ or <22. Based on selection patterns, though, I don't think Garcia will be considered as a big part of that rotation in any way.

Yes, you need depth and role players, absolutely. But in three years, in a team that has had its defence under siege at times, he has been viewed as the right man for the job only four times.

He's actually not functioning as depth right now, and his game hasn't really developed in the past 12 months.

I don't mind him, but he doesn't factor into selection at all and is not really progressing at a level that gives you confidence he will in the short-term.

I'm fine with him sticking around, but we need an injection of players in that 15-25 list range, which means opening up spots from those outside of it. He's inarguably 30+ imo which calls his spot on the list into question.

We don’t have picks to fill opening up too many spots this year.

His competition prior to this year had been JJ, Dale, Richards, Duryea, Williams it’s a pretty solid group in front of him which clearly limited opportunities.

Obviously we have brought in Bramble, Freijah and Coffield in and that pushes him down the order.

But it’s definitely not a pay out his contract situation.

Clarke deserves another year on pedigree as much as anything, and his VFL numbers haven’t been bad. Would want a massive pre-season though, should strap himself to Bont
He lives with the Treloars. Adz is putting a lot of time into him and Artie.

Unpopular opinion but I'd trade Garcia. Putting aside my personal opinion that he's overrated on here, we clearly don't trust him as a midfielder and he won't make it as a forward. IMO we need to replenish, and he's worth more as an asset (yes, acknowledging he's not worth a great deal) than he is to retain.

Ret./Delist
Keath, Bedendo, Rypstra

Trade Table
Garcia, Smith, Cleary, Macrae (but would rather he stays)

Re-Sign
JJ (one year), Duryea (one year), McNeil

Clarke may need to move to the rookie list depending on other changes.
Garcia is massively over rated in this forum.

Our midfield was well beaten by a part time midfield from Southport yesterday and Garcia was a main part of that midfield.

It may be his best position but he is miles off being a competent AFL mid.

Like West before him if he is ever going to make it AFL level it will be as a small forward. To do so he needs to improve his positioning, running patterns and ultimately his skills to become a competent AFL small forward. West did this, not sure Garcia can.

Would be happy to give him the opportunity as he does have some traits that show he could develop there, but if he gets a good offer elsewhere have no issues if we trade him amd move on

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll be in the UK for the entire trade period. What a feeling it'll be waking up to all the news of the day rather than the day dragging.

No constant checking of Twitter, AFL.com, This thread, who has followed who on Instagram and zero Trade Radio will do my mental health wonders.

I do also say this as it seems this might not be the best Trade Period for us. People leaving for unders in return and not much talk of anyone of note wanting to come to us....yet.

Garcia is massively over rated in this forum.

Our midfield was well beaten by a part time midfield from Southport yesterday and Garcia was a main part of that midfield.

It may be his best position but he is miles off being a competent AFL mid.

Like West before him if he is ever going to make it AFL level it will be as a small forward. To do so he needs to improve his positioning, running patterns and ultimately his skills to become a competent AFL small forward. West did this, not sure Garcia can.

Would be happy to give him the opportunity as he does have some traits that show he could develop there, but if he gets a good offer elsewhere have no issues if we trade him amd move on

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think their ruckman having 71 hitouts was the main reason the midfield got beaten yesterday.

I don't totally disagree. I thought his performances at AFL level were solid without being outstanding and was unlucky to be dropped ahead of a few others. Bevo clearly isn't a big fan.

I don't think he is good enough to be in the main midfield rotation and his spot is probably as that half forward who gives the odd chop out. Think you'd want that forward craft to be a bit better. I think Gallagher will go past him in that spot going forward but shouldn't have been preferred to him this season. Im happy for Garcia to stay but it's probably in his best interests to see if there is opportunity elsewhere.

Has little to no physical presence. Been on the list for what 3, 4 years now and still runs like a stiff breeze would cause him issues.

Is he quick? No.
Is he a damaging kick? No
Is there any reason worth keeping him, apart from being contracted? No.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unpopular opinion but I'd trade Garcia. Putting aside my personal opinion that he's overrated on here, we clearly don't trust him as a midfielder and he won't make it as a forward. IMO we need to replenish, and he's worth more as an asset (yes, acknowledging he's not worth a great deal) than he is to retain.

Ret./Delist
Keath, Bedendo, Rypstra

Trade Table

Re-Sign

If Treloar has a year where his body catches up with him (highly likely) Garcia is our only back-up to fill his role. Would be unwise to get rid of him now.

Problem with Clarke is a bit like Cleary. There’s nothing special about him. He’s slow and doesn’t have X factor, but is a decent footballer at VFL level.
He isn’t slow. He was one of the fastest in his draft and definitely hits high speed at time. I think in second half of the year he has either carried and injury or he is second guessing himself, also lacking confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Treloar has a year where his body catches up with him (highly likely) Garcia is our only back-up to fill his role. Would be unwise to get rid of him now.

But if that were to happen, based on our selection to this point, I don't actually think Garcia would be named in his place. It would be some assortment of Bont/Richards/Libba/Gallagher/Harmes/Daniel/Macrae*/Sanders.

I think we would be a fair chance of replacing or even improving on what little Garcia has offered to the AFL midfield through trade/FA/draft anyway.

* contracted until 2027, I think people are being too hasty assuming he's definitely gone - the trade will need to improve the list

Last edited:
He isn’t slow. He was one of the fastest in his draft and definitely hits high speed at time. I think in second half of the year he has either carried and injury or he is second guessing himself, also lacking confidence.
Only gone one VFL game without kicking a goal this year too

Poulter looked good during his 4 game stretch this season.

He played in the wins against Carlton, Cats and Swans then got dropped after the Adelaide loss.

I feel like he added good width and a good bit of pace.

Wouldn’t mind him getting a go next year in the 1s
He was hideous yesterday

Ret./Delist
Keath, Bedendo, Rypstra

Trade Table

Re-Sign

Losing three mids in one off season would leave us very thin for depth. I would keep Garcia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back