Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macrae had 7 games of 20+ disposals, Sanders had 6.

Libba's handball efficiency in his second season (I can't get stats from 2011) was 75%, Sanders this year was 81.6%

We also need to consider that Sanders hasn't had a consistent go at it in his preferred position in the senior team, so if you factor in his VFL stats (which is dangerous, I know), he's clearly going to be a very good player.
Libba and Macrae were also playing in s**t teams when they started.

OUT: O'Driscoll, Bedendo, Rypstra (rookie), presumably Smith, presumably Macrae

Also Rypstra departing doesn't open up an extra rookie list spot (and no requirement to upgrade any rookies this year as none are in their 3rd year), so as it currently stands we have no rookie spots, assuming we fill all main list spots with draft/trades.

TBD: Garcia, Clarke, JJ, Keath
Pretty sure I read somewhere the rookie list is now changing to allow players up to 5 years on it.

that didn’t last long wasn’t he a superstar start of last year?

I’ve heard Bob Murphy speak about players who change clubs in search of better opportunities. He mentioned that there is a sugar hit of being in a new environment, but that it won’t be long until those things that were holding you back eventually catch up with you at your new club.

Schache and Young are cases in point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Matthew Kennedy add anything to the midfield? I'm not sure of his abilities except his strength.

He's got decent forward ability. He probably would've added something as the half forward/rotation mid spot that we struggled to fill this year. Carlton seemed to prefer Elijah Hollands to that spot this season and Kennedy was shifted around a bit to cover various injuries (had a game or two at half back, played mostly mid while Cerra was out, played psuedo key forward when Curnow and McKay went down). I think I'd rather that role be given to one of the developing guys to see whether they become a player rather than trade in a 28(?)yo, lower ceiling Kennedy.

Just wait until Gardner is fit again and getting games over Buss
Gardy was playing ruck and forward at VFL level this year as Buss made the FB position his own.

I really think Buss is a bit closer than we think

Gardy was playing ruck and forward at VFL level this year as Buss made the FB position his own.

I really think Buss is a bit closer than we think

I would be a little disappointed if he isn't playing round 1. I'm ok with them playing the long game with him but he's developing really nicely from the games I've seen. Think he will play a lot of AFL football next season.

It was only last year people here were lamenting the loss of Lewis Young.. much like Jordon Sweet this year.

It was only last year people here were lamenting the loss of Lewis Young.. much like Jordon Sweet this year.
Young was awful for Carlton this year and bad last year, and people would flick on the TV halfway through a game, see Young take one intercept mark (without any context of the passage of play or his form or play generally) and be like "we were wrong to move him on!"

Pretty sure I read somewhere the rookie list is now changing to allow players up to 5 years on it.
You're half right. None of our blokes will qualify though (I guess it's aimed at really raw development type players):

Rookies – time on list
The AFL will introduce a trigger for an additional fourth year on the Rookie List where the Rookie has played less than ten career AFL matches, which will then apply in same way for access to an additional fifth year. Total aggregate years on the Rookie List will be capped at five years (5.5 years for Mid-Season Rookie Draft).

Macrae had 7 games of 20+ disposals, Sanders had 6.

Libba's handball efficiency in his second season (I can't get stats from 2011) was 75%, Sanders this year was 81.6%

We also need to consider that Sanders hasn't had a consistent go at it in his preferred position in the senior team, so if you factor in his VFL stats (which is dangerous, I know), he's clearly going to be a very good player.
Macrae was someone nowhere near as well developed physically but played better and showed a huge upside, I'm not sure how that's showing why Sanders also has a huge upside.

Libba's hands in traffic were elite from that first season there was no doubting what he would become.

A good example of physically developed inside mids without pace not improving a lot is Mitch Wallis, who in his second season came 3rd in the rising star ahead of Treloar in 4th. I think Sanders will be a better player than Wallis, but I don't think anyone was thinking Wallis would be finished as a player at 27 after his second year.

Macrae was someone nowhere near as well developed physically but played better and showed a huge upside, I'm not sure how that's showing why Sanders also has a huge upside.

Libba's hands in traffic were elite from that first season there was no doubting what he would become.

A good example of physically developed inside mids without pace not improving a lot is Mitch Wallis, who in his second season came 3rd in the rising star ahead of Treloar in 4th. I think Sanders will be a better player than Wallis, but I don't think anyone was thinking Wallis would be finished as a player at 27 after his second year.
I think it’s unlikely we will agree. I think Sanders will be an absolute star. I’m sure we can both agree that we both hope I’m right.

Given the type of player Sanders is and how physically ready to go he was he couldn't have been much more disappointing. That type of player generally peak earlier and hit the ground running if they're quality, unless there's an obvious strength or fitness issue to start with.

Bont, Macrae and Libba in their first year all showed elite traits at afl level that could be built upon going forward, whereas Sanders didn't show any. He might well end up as a 200 gamer, but history says he won't justify what was given up for him.
This is BS.

Disposals: 16.5 Abv Ave
Tackles: 4.6 Elite (3rd best at the Dogs)
Clearances: 2.4 Abv Ave
72% disp efficiency
5.4 cont poss, ave
3.5 Score assists, ave.

He achieved this with only 66% TOG.

Anyone who says this is disappointing for 1st year player who's playing in the guts has no idea.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back