Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heard him say that even though JUH was number 1 rated and Dogs were always going to take him Crows should have taken Riley as Number 1 to show him your our man, have the title and get some money.

I did not hear today but I know he has the view I noted above.
Yeah but they bid at 1 so we couldn't take the great jimmy Rowe before them

I know very little about Smith. But apparently you (supporters) see him as 2 first round picks.
Our (supporters) see him as a first rounder and something extra.

I think there's a reason Mackie wasn't happy with the compo picks handed out. Because it put us back on the value of our offer.
Both teams are offering him virtually an identical amount of money, or such that the Dogs are offering less, it's still as valuable to Smith as staying with the Dogs can make him a free agent in two years time.

As such, the difference in trade value can only amount to two things:
  • Disagreement in the equivalent value of a draft pick to a contract amount
  • Geelong trying to wedge the draft rules and Smith's manipulation of the list management rules to get to the team that he wants.
On the first dot point, you cannot convince anyone that if a player is good enough to be approximately the fourth-fifth highest paid player in the team is worth so little in a trade.

If you can predict that a player will be your fourth best player over the length of a contract, that is worth a top 10 pick.

On the second dot point, well, that's led to hundreds of posts of discussion.

Macke not being happy with the compensation picks is a Geelong problem. The possibility of compensation picks being handed out is not an unknown thing over the last couple of years.

Except professional ethics and a moral compass. So yeah, we ARE stuffed.
... and when we're trading back the other way the posts on here are overwhelmingly in favour of the scorched Earth approach, telling us to be ruthless and take them for everything they're worth.

It's a business.

what are we willing to give up for XO tho? If we are prising him out of GWS, they will want a decent return? Whats he worth, realistically?

hmm, I guess if we are green lighted for XO, then we are more likely to accept Caleb moving to North - perhaps a 3 way where we get XO, north gets Daniel and North coughs up the draft picks to make it work.

Last edited:
Apologies if this one has already been posted: https://www.nine.com.au/sport/afl/t...3-rumours-whispers-draft-20241009-p5kgv4.html

1 hour ago2.06PM

Dogs stars unfollow Smith​

Liam O'Loughlin

Garry Lyon has urged the Western Bulldogs not to let wantaway star Bailey Smith walk to the pre-season draft.
The 23-year-old is seeking a move to Geelong, with his current club looking for the No.17 draft pick as compensation.
"No one bids on him [if he goes to draft], so they [Geelong] pick him up for nothing," Lyon said on SEN Radio.
"Don't be too bloody minded about it, push hard. I just think they will sit on that Geelong and not move, it's up to the Western Bulldogs."

The comments come as it was revealed two Bulldogs teammates - Marcus Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore - both unfollowed Smith on Instagram this week.
[PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD] could be at a new club in 2025.

Bailey Smith has now been linked to the Pies. Getty

Both teams are offering him virtually an identical amount of money, or such that the Dogs are offering less, it's still as valuable to Smith as staying with the Dogs can make him a free agent in two years time.

As such, the difference in trade value can only amount to two things:
  • Disagreement in the equivalent value of a draft pick to a contract amount
  • Geelong trying to wedge the draft rules and Smith's manipulation of the list management rules to get to the team that he wants.
On the first dot point, you cannot convince anyone that if a player is good enough to be approximately the fourth-fifth highest paid player in the team is worth so little in a trade.

If you can predict that a player will be your fourth best player over the length of a contract, that is worth a top 10 pick.

On the second dot point, well, that's led to hundreds of posts of discussion.

Macke not being happy with the compensation picks is a Geelong problem. The possibility of compensation picks being handed out is not an unknown thing over the last couple of years.
Let's not get emotional over it. I'm certainly not.
But we arent selling and buying an armchair here. It's someone's life. Someones career.

Smith isn't staying. So your suggestion of being a FA in 2 years is moot.

Your point on income and placing within the club is kind of valid. But only if you're looking at AFL compensation.
And that doesnt apply here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, I remember the last time Jake was traded the AFL mafia dragged our club through the mud for the entire trade period, and then some. I'm guessing that Essendon will come under similar intense scrutiny. Or not.
And we came out (with a few bits and pieces going elsewhere) with Ed Richards. Here is hoping we can turn the Smith loss into a player that good.

If I have followed this thread correctly the reason given as to why posters believe no club other than Geelong would bid on Smith in the draft is because all clubs are scared of his manager !!!!!
Is that correct. His manager would instruct all his clients to have nothing to do with those clubs even if it is in the best interest of those other clients to deal with that club? Would new players want to go with a management group that cannot deal with all potential suitors? Just finding it a difficult argument to believe.

JUH 106 Goals 88 points numerous OOB.

I am happy with JUH

The media will always compare JUH and Riley simply because there is nothing to fill in time and they need to amuse themselves and keep their jobs

The AFL Media could be cut by 70% for the sport it is

But we arent selling and buying an armchair here. It's someone's life. Someones career.

Smith isn't staying.
But following this logic, why prevent pure freedom of movement at all?

Why have a national draft at all?

Smith has to accept that part of the process of being an AFL footballer is that you lose out on that full freedom of life and career. The trade-off is that he gets a bit more money for doing so. He's a union member of the AFLPA. They negotiate more money for Smith (indirectly, through the salary cap * 18 being the amount paid to all union members as a collective), but the union itself loses some of the freedom of which of the 18 employers they want to get to.
So your suggestion of being a FA in 2 years is moot.
It's not, because at least the Dogs would have gotten an additional two years of his service after being the team to initially identify and develop his talent, of which he could have contributed to success for the Bulldogs in that time. That is not moot.

Smith will be playing for Geelong next year.
Not sure why you would waste your time debating it.

We will take their best offer, probably right at the deadline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back