Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

"
Thinking again of the Tom Boyd comments of how the Dirty Dogs were guilty of tampering by meeting with him and offering him the 7 million dollar deal whilst in contract as an 18yo 6 months into his time with us.

Wouldn’t it be nice to exercise a bit of pay back and offer Luke Darcy a 10 year deal worth 15 mil.

Even if he was 100/1 on to stay just to really screw them and their cap it would be very satisfying."

Please take him. Idiots.

"
Thinking again of the Tom Boyd comments of how the Dirty Dogs were guilty of tampering by meeting with him and offering him the 7 million dollar deal whilst in contract as an 18yo 6 months into his time with us.

Wouldn’t it be nice to exercise a bit of pay back and offer Luke Darcy a 10 year deal worth 15 mil.

Even if he was 100/1 on to stay just to really screw them and their cap it would be very satisfying."

Please take him. Idiots.
Who said that

"

Please take him. Idiots.
We were no more guilty of tampering by talking to Boyd than GWS were by tampering by taking to an equally contracted Griffen, lol

Wouldn't that amount to breaking his contract if he was drafted by another club and was fit to play? It'd open up a whole heap of legal recourse.
He'd essentially forgo his contract. I know for a fact Connors told atleast one club this over the weekend when approached over the weekend about the possibility of the national draft.

There are not many trade periods where we have appeared to have improved our list. We are surely weaker without Smith, Macrae and Daniel and no early draft picks. The only gain will be some salary cap relief for the future. We had no say in losing Smith and I can understand losing Jacko and Caleb. My rant is we very rarely attract players we need they always go to other clubs.

To be a better team we need substantial improvement from Sanders, Darcy, JUH, Gallagher, Croft, Busslinger and Freijah. Darcy and Freijah are tracking really well and I have no doubt will be better next season. The others should get better with another pre season. I hope we get to see Jordan and Jed next season.

There are not many trade periods where we have appeared to have improved our list. We are surely weaker without Smith, Macrae and Daniel and no early draft picks. The only gain will be some salary cap relief for the future. We had no say in losing Smith and I can understand losing Jacko and Caleb. My rant is we very rarely attract players we need they always go to other clubs.

To be a better team we need substantial improvement from Sanders, Darcy, JUH, Gallagher, Croft, Busslinger and Freijah. Darcy and Freijah are tracking really well and I have no doubt will be better next season. The others should get better with another pre season. I hope we get to see Jordan and Jed next season.
Our draft hand might be pretty good if things go to plan , 17 from the cats 25 from north and maybe 27* from the saints if we throw in our 35 . That’s a decent crack in a even draft

Correct, we get the leftovers at best. Other than a very lucky Trelaor trade we’ve been useless. We also hold the mantle as the only club that Gold Coast have ever legitimately beaten in a trade.

At the very least we will be lowering the average age of our list. I’m clutching at straws here, but I’m equally glad we haven’t wasted any draft capital on fringe types. If Xavier is still interested we can pick him up next year for nothing.

Time to put our faith in the drafting team and pick up 5 or 6 exciting youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Connors has called all clubs and told them not to bother drafting Bailey as he will never play a game for them.
What's stopping Geelong offering a future swap of 4th and 5th round picks for Smith then?

What's stopping Geelong only drafting Smith with their literal last pick in the draft then?

If I was a club answering those calls to Connors those would be the questions I'd be posing to him.

They never will, but imagine in the AFL suspended Smith for 12 months for breaching the AFL rules or whatever.

What's stopping Geelong offering a future swap of 4th and 5th round picks for Smith then?

What's stopping Geelong only drafting Smith with their literal last pick in the draft then?

If I was a club answering those calls to Connors those would be the questions I'd be posing to him.

They never will, but imagine in the AFL suspended Smith for 12 months for breaching the AFL rules or whatever.
All fair questions, but ones that will always go unasked.

He'd essentially forgo his contract. I know for a fact Connors told atleast one club this over the weekend when approached over the weekend about the possibility of the national draft.
That'd mean he'd have to sit out the season, yes? He has a bit to lose here. And his brand would take quite a hit in that scenario. And that's not even taking into account his mental health and how he has been outspoken about the toll of no footy this year had.

Dogs will deal in good faith, but it's up to the Cats to meet us in a trade deal that shows their good faith. Hasn't happened as yet.

The talk of clearing space being our focus shits me.

The best clubs keep their stars and attract new high end talent.

We need to do more.

Doesn't clearing out space facilitate attracting new high end talent?

Macrae, Daniel and Smith out can facilitate front-loading contracts for stars and/or try to outbid (as we seem to need to do) for top end talent.

Doesn't clearing out space facilitate attracting new high end talent?

Macrae, Daniel and Smith out can facilitate front-loading contracts for stars and/or try to outbid (as we seem to need to do) for top end talent.
Should mean we can pull forward over 2.5million in cap space next year. And the same amount the year after. It’s a huge saving and should allow us to have zero issues with salary cap going forward for a long time.

That'd mean he'd have to sit out the season, yes? He has a bit to lose here. And his brand would take quite a hit in that scenario. And that's not even taking into account his mental health and how he has been outspoken about the toll of no footy this year had.

Dogs will deal in good faith, but it's up to the Cats to meet us in a trade deal that shows their good faith. Hasn't happened as yet.
That'd be the threat yes, whether a club will call the bluff is another matter.

Last edited:
If the Saints came out tomorrow and said they would be willing to take Baz at pick 8, would we all be happy to take pick 47 (or worse)for Macrae to get to St.Kilda???

You're not the only ones who can tamper with the draft Catters...😜

That'd the threat yes, whether a club will call the bluff is another matter.
One person's threat is another person's literal tampering of the theoretical draft rules.

We live in an absurd world where a player manager can speak to clubs and everyone agrees that nobody is really going to kick up a stink to the point that there's not going to be an official complaint about tampering to the AFL or whatever.

I suppose the precedence is there from Smith himself refusing to move interstate upon entering the league, of which a willingness to be forced to do so is also in the AFL rules.

Correct, we get the leftovers at best. Other than a very lucky Trelaor trade we’ve been useless. We also hold the mantle as the only club that Gold Coast have ever legitimately beaten in a trade.
Wait did Sanders and Croft retire already?

Should mean we can pull forward over 2.5million in cap space next year. And the same amount the year after. It’s a huge saving and should allow us to have zero issues with salary cap going forward for a long time.

Part of the point I was trying to make, but you've added more detail, thanks.

I'd expect this to be list management 101, and Power would be all across it, and have spreadsheets or similar with various forward-projecting scenarios along these very lines.

I'm sure when the long-term contracts were offered to and signed by Macrae and Daniel, Power would have allowed for a future where those contracts "might" need to be offloaded, and how that might play out.

One person's threat is another person's literal tampering of the theoretical draft rules.

We live in an absurd world where a player manager can speak to clubs and everyone agrees that nobody is really going to kick up a stink to the point that there's not going to be an official complaint about tampering to the AFL or whatever.

I suppose the precedence is there from Smith himself refusing to move interstate upon entering the league, of which a willingness to be forced to do so is also in the AFL rules.
There is a player that says he won't go interstate every year including this one and usually the clubs don't call the bluff.
Even if a club did complain the AFL wouldn't do anything for a few reasons, they wouldn't want to upset the players association and they wouldn't want to make a scene they'd never let something like draft tampering see the light of day whether it be a player refusing to be drafted interstate, clubs trading picks under the caveat of not bidding on academy/Father sons or players skating through the draft with a huge price on their head only to smooth it out 6 months later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back