Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a kid, as mentioned earlier definitely needs to improve on his defensive work both around the contest and around the ground. However, for an 18 year old to kill it in the VFL like he did realistically he is where he should be for his age. he got a taste and no doubt some of his deficiancies would have been discussed at end of season interviews. is he going to be a superstar, who knows? But lets hope he ends up being a 200 gamer who brings some apssion to the club
I watched a lot of his games in the VFL, whilst he amassed a lot of possessions he wasn't particularly damaging outside of a few goals.

A few people on here have said that he is on track to have similar careers to Tom Mitchell and Macrae. The game is moving away from players who can accumulate but lack the physical tools to apply pressure and can't cover the ground

I watched a lot of his games in the VFL, whilst he amassed a lot of possessions he wasn't particularly damaging outside of a few goals.

A few people on here have said that he is on track to have similar careers to Tom Mitchell and Macrae. The game is moving away from players who can accumulate but lack the physical tools to apply pressure and can't cover the ground
yeah agree with some of your point, but he is 19, can certainly change the way he plays.

Well he did get in excess of 20 disposals in 6 of his 14 AFL games at over 80% efficiency and over 30 sometime 40 disposals at VFL level in the majority of his games there, so maybe getting the football so much as a first year player is fairly elite

Being able to accumulate possessions is no longer a relevant stat in the modern game.

Macrae is one of the best accumulators of all time according to stats. We all know where that one is headed...

Being able to accumulate possessions is no longer a relevant stat in the modern game.

Macrae is one of the best accumulators of all time according to stats. We all know where that one is headed...
Macrae has been so much more than ‘an accumulator’. Deserves a bit more respect from some around here

If we are indeed flipping the Macrae compo for Kennedy and likely the Daniel compo for XOH, taking one draft pick inside 30 (Geelong's first) is a bit of a deflating outcome. Hopefully something happening behind the scenes there.

Expecting a 19 year old inside mid to show elite traits in the AFL during his rookie season is wild.

Maybe give him some to develop, he looked great in many VFL games
I would say Darcy Wilson (pick 18) and Caleb Windsor (pick 7) both picked after Sanders have shown elite AFL traits.

At that age your not looking for consistent well rounded performance. Just glimpses of their potential. Sanders has yet to show anything resembling that except of course that he accumulate a lot of the ball, which is no longer a highly valued quality in the modern game.

Last edited:
Sanders was one of the worst players in the AFL last year who got regular playing time.

The only thing that gives me hope is the way his teammates/coaches talk about him and what they see in training. Clearly this isn't translating to match day. One he gets more comfortable hopefully we see significant improvement in his performances but right now he isn't close to being AFL standard.

I love Sanders, the kid will be a gun. He definitely needs confidence when he has the ball but he’s the AFL equivalent to a foetus.

Confidence is the easiest thing to teach, and he has all the other tools to become an AA caliber midfielder one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say Darcy Wilson (pick 18) and Caleb Windsor (pick 7) both picked after Sanders have shown elite AFL traits.

At that age your not looking for consistent well rounded performance. Just glimpses of their potential. Sanders has yet show anything resembling that except of course that he accumulate a lot of the ball, which is no longer a highly valued quality in the modern game.
I'll bite - he "takes the hit" prior to dishing off the handball which not all young players do. It shows care for the next possession chain which is team first.
I like what he showed. He's more than just an accumulator

Plastics will want future picks anyway
Depends on Peatling. If they do get the future second out of Crows they've requested then they'll want picks this year. If they send Peatling through the draft they'll want our future second.
No matter if it were this year or next I wouldn't want to pay a second rounder which is what it'd take for them to release him.

Depends on Peatling. If they do get the future second out of Crows they've requested then they'll want picks this year. If they send Peatling through the draft they'll want our future second.
No matter if it were this year or next I wouldn't want to pay a second rounder which is what it'd take for them to release him.
I'd pay our F2 will be in the 40s when we win the flag ;)

I'll bite - he "takes the hit" prior to dishing off the handball which not all young players do. It shows care for the next possession chain which is team first.
He's always looking to release his teammates into the best position for them to do some damage. Good trait for a first possession winner.

With 83% efficiency, in his first season
Misleading stat.

Most of his possessions were handballs to a teammate who were 2feet away from him. As soon as he attempted to take a more aggressive option it almost always ended in a turnover.

By the mid part of the season Sanders became way too conservative in his ball use that it was hurting the team and Bevo could no longer justify his position in the first team.

I respect your opinions Mofra but I actually think he hasn't shown great care when he disposes of the ball. He just wants to get rid of it, afraid of making a mistake or getting pinned for holding the ball.

He also needs to toughen up a little bit too. Too often in those 50/50 situations he hasn't really committed to the contest.

Not writing him off, just some concerns around his potential/celling and his overall fit in a modern midfield.

If we had a draft hand like Freo did and traded it away for Shai Bolton, I would cry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back