Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think how we did with the trades we completed this year, and our overall list management direction, are kind of two very different conversations.

I don’t think we could got much more with the players we traded out. We had leverage with Caleb and did well, we had none with Baz and kind of copped it. Just how it goes. That’s all fine. Don’t think Power could have gotten more considering.

There have been some doubts here shared about the shape of our list, our weaknesses, and what we have and haven’t addressed. Which I do tend to agree with.

It does put a lot of pressure on this draft, as well as internal development. Neither of which are sure things by any means. We find ourselves possibly in a situation where we will feel pressured to draft for need to address issues we have failed to fix in the last few trade periods. Also fraught with danger if you start drafting like that. We may be faced with best available players that could be key forwards or inside mids, who knows. We may be gifted a pacey, classy HF that plays every game at 17 or 25 too.

Yes it could be a DFA. People will point to Bramble, but that’s a fair outlier, and he has to back it up in 2025 where teams will plan around him more. Hence the one year extension.

I don’t think it’s doom and gloom. Just some doubts about what we’re doing in this particular, wide open era. And it runs a bit counter to what other teams around us are doing, although it has to be conceded that we will always get our A and B graders through the draft as opposed to getting such talents to nominate us. So getting good draft picks is important.

And as close as we were to finishing top 4, we were just as close to missing the 8 altogether. I think Kennedy will be good, but if you subscribe to the talk all year about how slow we are as a side, particularly in the midfield…So near-certain, even marginal improvements to our fringe/last picked players would have been very reassuring acquisitions.

I think we’re faced with a lot more uncertainty regarding if we trend up or down next season than the hawks, pies and dockers around us, who were all very aggressive and almost definitely improved, most would think. Sanders and Buss are two young talents that may work their way into the side, and may make us better - they also don’t fix many of our perceived weaknesses, at least based on how we play, if we’re insisting on certain kinds of players in those last picked spots. Could be some changes to our side and strategy next season, though.

What is in our favour undoubtedly is having a Darcy + Bont combo which raises our floor significantly. If they play the season we definitely won’t bottom out or anything. Helps having a couple of generational freaks.
The only decent one that moved out side of Smith was Houston everyone else who moved was either meh or going to their home state

A 7 pick upgrade that we gave away anyway - it was a face saver for both sides.

Regardless , lets see our talent identification at work. 17 and 25 could be anything. I doubt we will want to trade up in this draft.
Impossible if Blues would have done Kennedy for 45 instead of 38. We have to assume they wouldn't.

Sad times for the club.

Rebuild officially begun?

Hopefully the media stop harping on about our list now.
How is moving on from a 31yr old and 28yr old a rebuild?

What Richmond are doing is a rebuild. We are moving on 2 players who lets be honest, would struggle for regular game time. End of.

People need to relax a little

The only decent one that moved out side of Smith was Houston everyone else who moved was either meh or going to their home state

I like Battle and Barrass for the Hawks, their talls weren’t much chop and they relied a lot on other areas. They fixed a glaring weakness in their side with a couple of proven contributors. Might move the needle for them to get top 4 if they can back it up, weren’t far off it in the end like us.

Not to say they got two flat out stars in their prime and they paid a premium but I’m okay with that if you’re having a genuine flag tilt in a wide open era.

I like Battle and Barrass for the Hawks, their talls weren’t much chop and they relied a lot on other areas. They fixed a glaring weakness in their side with a couple of proven contributors. Might move the needle for them to get top 4 if they can back it up, weren’t far off it in the end like us.

Not to say they got two flat out stars in their prime and they paid a premium but I’m okay with that if you’re having a genuine flag tilt in a wide open era.
Battle not worht the salary for us and we threw our hat in the ring for Barrass and looking at what they paid I am glad we lost Lobb will be better next year with a full pre season

A 7 pick upgrade that we gave away anyway - it was a face saver for both sides.

Regardless , lets see our talent identification at work. 17 and 25 could be anything. I doubt we will want to trade up in this draft.
I'm not so sure.

Depends what/who we've identified in the catalogue and what difference they may make.

My tetris inclinations say that if there's a piece we have to reach for we should do it.

The margins are fine.

Play them like we should have this year, in the team and on the ground because they were both clearly best 22 players.

And Smith, who knows what we might have gotten if we had held firm.

Geelong gets bargain deals because they have a reputation of sticking to their positions, there is a lesson there for us.
Proff…..love you mate, but Like a shark, we have to keep swimming or we drown.

Continue playing Macrae and Daniel at the expense of kids and we will be the next West Coast

Yes they are quality players but we need to move on.

We also need to upgrade players like VDM and McNeill who are serviceable but we need better

Barrass?

So we offered pick 35 or a future 2nd to the plastics for XOH very late.

We had been offering our future 2nd all the way through the trade period.

They knocked us back every time, but might have considered pick 25 and later swaps. Happy enough that didn't go through if we nail pick 25.

Twomey said they will have to move to give him a longer term deal within the next couple of months.

How is moving on from a 31yr old and 28yr old a rebuild?

What Richmond are doing is a rebuild. We are moving on 2 players who lets be honest, would struggle for regular game time. End of.

People need to relax a little
We’ve made a point of keeping our first rounders almost every year and thankfully we’ve mostly recruited well with them. There’s always youth coming through.

Hopefully that means even if we have a raft of retirements we never crater like North, WC and Richmond have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little off topic but the front loading of contacts has been mentioned a couple of times. I assume that if a club front loads a contact and the player leaves half way through the contract period the club has done its dough ( referring to the front loaded part only). Is that the risk a club takes and accepts?

Some of it is self inflicted though. We refuse to engage the contacted players in season, which makes it hard to recruit. Smiths manager said Dangerfield was a big driver of getting him to Geelong and John Noble said he decided to go to the Suns after a mid season meeting with Hardwick. We’ll need to adapt if we want to be competitive.
The more I think about it, the more I think Smith has done this to be vindictive. If we asked him about being traded last year, you can bet he went to Connor’s and told him to **** us over. He would have started looking around as soon as we asked him

Pose the question if at the of 2025 season it is proven 3 tall forwards do not work especially in finals do we move on one of them whilst in contract. It is not Sam, so it is either Jamarra or Astro. Do not want to lose either but if JUH gets to the end of his contract and we lose him for what we got for Bailey Smith I will do a Terry Wallace and spew up. The tigers just got 2 first round picks for in contract players.
I feel that it’s going to happen, so get the lube and tissues ready.

The template has been drawn up

You would've been happy to get nothing at all for Smith?

We lost and were belted up in an Elim Final. We were soft. Are we improving by keeping Macrae and Daniel on the list? No, we're not. We're treading water.

Are there players worse than those two on our list, absolutely. Would they get us anything in trades? Not a cracker.

So, we cashed in players we knew had value but were not part of our future plans and shipped off another with plenty of baggage and as far away from the team first mentality as you can get.

Personally, I'll take the likes of Kennedy now over the likes of Sniff. The hard edged, team first, Matthew Boyd types. Invaluable. As for Macrae and Daniel, we'll see what happens. They'll be solid for their teams, but I think in the end we'll be proven to have made the right choices.
I love this

BnF/AA will be 5 years ago start of next year premiership 9

Should we bring Adam Cooney out of retirement because he was a brownlow winner a decade and a half ago?
We should never have let Ted and Charlie die….**** Sam Power is useless

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back