Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

A guy called Tom Hawkins I think might have a bit of spare time next year
He'll be farming. Doubt he has any interest in entering the development pathway next year

Just me, but I don’t want any Cat's steak knives players.
We’ve been burnt so many times by them (apart from Matty Robbins & Bluey Hampshire of course 😁).
Hamling went ok. Ditto Tim Callan.

Knevitt would be a 10 % steakknives to add to the other 90 % of whatever picks geelong put up for smith. I dont think anyone was or ever would suggest an actual straight swap.

I think what we're getting at here is the attitude from your club and its supporters that we should just bow down and accept what we're given.

VFL hacks aren't going to cut it and neither is a s*** first rounder in its own and yet that's what so many of your supporters and probably your club seem to think is acceptable.

I mention Clohesy as I'd expect he plays round 1 for us and he's seemingly fringe at the cats. Seems to like the rougher stuff too which we can always use.

I forgot about him. Hes probably another one in that knevitt mould that could be enticed by a better deal and regular games. But i dont know your list super well enough to know if thats the type of player you would target.

Butters was overlooked by us in the draft, we took Baz.
Why would he show any loyalty or desire going to a club who didn’t rate him in the first place?
Butters was rated late first round while Smith was part of the elite group at the top of the draft. Even talked about as a pick 1 before injury.

This board would have melted if we took Butters.

I think what we're getting at here is the attitude from your club and its supporters that we should just bow down and accept what we're given.

VFL hacks aren't going to cut it and neither is a s*** first rounder in its own and yet that's what so many of your supporters and probably your club seem to think is acceptable.

Thats definitely not my attitude and i hope it doesnt come across that way. Ive also said a lot i think smith is worth more than pick 15 (i just not think the more will realistically be a future 1st). Im just saying that in previous trades like this geelong doesnt tend to force contracted players out and i dont think they will change tack here. Whether thats right or wrong is for others to judge.

Trades/FA:
1. Smith and F3 for Pick 15, Pick 35 and F2
2. Macrae and Pick 32 for Pick 24 and Pick 43
3. Jed Bews as a FA for small defender depth.
4. I'd love Houston but unsure we can convince him. Pick 15 and future picks may be enough for Port though.
5. We have about 10 guys who could retire or be delisted. We desperately need to move on 1 or 2 of those earlier so it's in a stronger draft.

Which would mean:
In: Pick 15, Pick 24, Pick 35, Pick 44, Bews, Late Pick
Out: Smith, Macrae, Keath, Bedendo, O'Driscoll/Rypstra, Clarke (moved to rookie list though), Baker/Cleary/Scott (contract paid out).

2025 team:

FB: Duryea, Jones, Freijah
HB: Dale, Lobb, Bramble
C: Williams, Bont, Poulter (or draftee)
HF: West, Naughton, VDM (or draftee)
FF: Weightman, JUH, Darcy
R: English, Libba, Treloar
Int: Richards, JJ, Daniel/Sanders, Busslinger/Coffield/JOD
Sub: Daniel/Sanders

Emerg: Bews, Busslinger/Coffield/JOD, McNeil

At least we got a guy who could play every week on the wing...right?

Read it and weep.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1223432...63Y6g8SKNEN1Qca0LA_aem_02BZO4jFjudIEHTzvRlv3w

460717337_955050349998116_1569571645474378152_n.jpg
Mannagh and Poulter and we chose Poulter 🤦🏻
I know it’s an inexact science but Stephen Wells is a freak.

Trades/FA:
1. Smith and F3 for Pick 15, Pick 35 and F2
2. Macrae and Pick 32 for Pick 24 and Pick 43
3. Jed Bews as a FA for small defender depth.
4. I'd love Houston but unsure we can convince him. Pick 15 and future picks may be enough for Port though.
5. We have about 10 guys who could retire or be delisted. We desperately need to move on 1 or 2 of those earlier so it's in a stronger draft.

Which would mean:
In: Pick 15, Pick 24, Pick 35, Pick 44, Bews, Late Pick
Out: Smith, Macrae, Keath, Bedendo, O'Driscoll/Rypstra, Clarke (moved to rookie list though), Baker/Cleary/Scott (contract paid out).

2025 team:

FB: Duryea, Jones, Freijah
HB: Dale, Lobb, Bramble
C: Williams, Bont, Poulter (or draftee)
HF: West, Naughton, VDM (or draftee)
FF: Weightman, JUH, Darcy
R: English, Libba, Treloar
Int: Richards, JJ, Daniel/Sanders, Busslinger/Coffield/JOD
Sub: Daniel/Sanders

Emerg: Bews, Busslinger/Coffield/JOD, McNeil
Unfortunately that team isn’t getting the juices flowing for next season. If we’re running Poulter (last weeks VFL was horrible) and Caleb Daniel, even VDM in ‘best 22’ we’re in strife.
Even Duryea and Jones are just hanging in there. This is why I’d hate to lose Macrae, and I’d have Garcia in Best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dare say, first thing tomorrow he will ask for a trade to Geelong haha
View attachment 2118329
Can't wait to see what Geelong offer up as a trade whilst all of this is going on, no doubt a low ball offer whilst they host a player still on our books. I know there's absolutely zero chance of it happening but would love to push him down the preseason draft route as an FU in return.

Can't wait to see what Geelong offer up as a trade whilst all of this is going on, no doubt a low ball offer whilst they host a player still on our books. I know there's absolutely zero chance of it happening but would love to push him down the preseason draft route as an FU in return.
Agreed it won't happen but unless a trade includes next years first I'd be having him walk.

Butters was rated late first round while Smith was part of the elite group at the top of the draft. Even talked about as a pick 1 before injury.

This board would have melted if we took Butters.
And even if that wasn't the case, what's the suggestion that Butters is someone who is vindictive and would continue to have a negative view of our club, as opposed to far more likely view that he sees that the club can rate some talent over others.

He's not Draymond Green who loudly declares he hates a other teams because they passed over him in the NBA.

Dare say, first thing tomorrow he will ask for a trade to Geelong haha
View attachment 2118329

What a p****

Says so much about his character.

I hope the rest of his career is a spectacular failure and we do whatever it takes to make life and this move as painful as possible for him and wherever he ends up.

For an opposition view if the cats were willing to throw up anyone its probably either clohesy or knevitt (although both are locals who are close with our other geelong guys they are expendable on field wise). Anyone else you would likely ask for is less likely to be willing to go.
Knevitts contracted so doubt he'd be willing to go unless he gets more money/years. Clohesy is uncontacted but surely cats are offering him an extension. Doubt either would want to go to dogs who have a stronger midfield than cats

We should just tell Geelong go get us pick 12 from Gold Coast .

Do people think cats first and second rounder would get it over the line for goldcoast ?

Get them to throw clohsey our way as steak knives aswell

12 and 15 likely net us the same player so I'd rather just stick with 15 and extras.
We can always just trade down pick 12 on draft day itself. Goodness knows that Essendon will do anothet trade like that to "win" the offseason.

Outlandish suggestion but should we look at what Jamarra might get us?

We are overstocked for KPF's. His accuracy seems like a permanent problem. Seems a bit mentally fragile at times. His value is probably at it's peak in terms of draft picks...

Is it worth trading one of the KPF's out to get a better balance across the whole side?

He is being shopped around

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back