Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have spoken to ex player about Smith and he has never been a wrap for this bloke. A summary is strange ( weird) in todays terms and extremely painful to put up with at work.
In June was told about some current and ex players from a big club ( not bombers) said about Smith was extremely disturbing! But it does explain why not many clubs were not interested in getting him. Wonder why our players aren’t begging him to stay? This happened around the time Smiley Boy went off about him.
As we are a feeder club we will be offered Cam Mooney and pick 97! The AFL will let it happen as our club is one of there DH clubs that they don’t care about. Eddie M ‘s words no mine! Geelong as with some other clubs have no respect whatsoever for our club and soon you will all see it for yourselves.
The AFL will do nothing about third party deals but if we or the other DH clubs started doing them the deals they would be shut down in seconds!
So after hearing all year about Stengel’s exploits around Geelong eg lots of drink spiking going on down there apparently, Smith and Stengel will make a great team so my relo’s say! Just reminding everyone that one of Dunkley’s complaints about our club was that the party boys were out of control and being unprofessional! Smith was a member of that group. If I remember rightly he made headlines with another member of that group who had a car accident.

This from the Herald Sun in regards to Dan Houston - I almost fell off my chair.

The Power want two first-round picks for the 27-year-old, which means clubs such as Carlton and Collingwood need to get creative to lure him across the border.

And yet the same journos are saying we'll bend over and let the Cats get Smith for a pittance.

Have spoken to ex player about Smith and he has never been a wrap for this bloke. A summary is strange ( weird) in todays terms and extremely painful to put up with at work.
In June was told about some current and ex players from a big club ( not bombers) said about Smith was extremely disturbing! But it does explain why not many clubs were not interested in getting him. Wonder why our players aren’t begging him to stay? This happened around the time Smiley Boy went off about him.
As we are a feeder club we will be offered Cam Mooney and pick 97! The AFL will let it happen as our club is one of there DH clubs that they don’t care about. Eddie M ‘s words no mine! Geelong as with some other clubs have no respect whatsoever for our club and soon you will all see it for yourselves.
The AFL will do nothing about third party deals but if we or the other DH clubs started doing them the deals they would be shut down in seconds!
So after hearing all year about Stengel’s exploits around Geelong eg lots of drink spiking going on down there apparently, Smith and Stengel will make a great team so my relo’s say! Just reminding everyone that one of Dunkley’s complaints about our club was that the party boys were out of control and being unprofessional! Smith was a member of that group. If I remember rightly he made headlines with another member of that group who had a car accident.
What did eddie m say?

Doubt we can turn SDK's head but so glad the club are having a go. Bevo and Sammy P should be going their hardest, wine and dine the kid and be unashamedly public about it and put as much pressure back on Geelong as possible. Geelong and Smith have gone about it in pretty poor taste, capping it off with Baz sitting with the Geelong boys at the prelim.

Geelong are expecting us to roll over and cop it, the club need to at least have a go back.

For some reason I've got a feeling Houston lands with us. No logical reason or info, just a feeling.

I'm hoping for a Tom Boyd 'line in the sand' moment when it comes to the Smith trade. Why can't we prise SDK out of Geelong? I hope that we are uber aggressive here.

And as for that Bailey Smith Insta post...wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't checked it out for myself. Somebody seriously needs to mentor this kid. He is making some horrible choices.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a Tom Boyd 'line in the sand' moment when it comes to the Smith trade. Why can't we prise TDK out of Geelong? I hope that we are uber aggressive here.

And as for that Bailey Smith Insta post...wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't checked it out for myself. Somebody seriously needs to mentor this kid. He is making some horrible choices.
Good riddance I say.

Have also been told today the dogs 100% asked for SDK to be involved in any deal for Smith with a straight swap suggested. Whilst De Koning was open to the idea the cats refused outright.

That is exactly the sort of balls we need for this situation.

I like it. A lot. I hope we're sweet talking SDK morning noon and night right under Geelong's dirty little noses.

Loving the fact Smith will be someone else's problem within weeks 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from the Herald Sun in regards to Dan Houston - I almost fell off my chair.

The Power want two first-round picks for the 27-year-old, which means clubs such as Carlton and Collingwood need to get creative to lure him across the border.

And yet the same journos are saying we'll bend over and let the Cats get Smith for a pittance.
He's the no 1 inside 50 kick in the competition and under contract.
I suspect Port get a very good trade from Carlton (many people saying he's off to the Blues)

I would argue that Houston is worth even more than two first round picks, especially under contract.

Houston isn't Bont, but he's also All-Australian the last two years. The value-add of players at the top end grows exponentially. In other words, the value of the clear All-Australian half-back (in my eyes) Houston to an AA-squad but not AA-player Dale is significant, who in turn is a lot closer to an established player in the same role who was good in a role but that's about it (Bramble), who in turn is far closer to a fringe player in and out of the team (say JJ).

I posted something similar previously

Reg B Smith I have heard the AFL is on notice that this deal can go south and there will be unhappy parties for all involved that is clubs, player and PR disaster for AFL.

The AFL looking into third party agreement is true but not the whole story

Dogs are not happy

What are the chances we send him to the draft and get a priority pick after where our first would’ve landed, like FA compensation?

Not all in on Houston, because it will cost us a lot in draft capital, which we do not have at all. And set us back fixing the holes with only a couple of drafts until TAS comes in.

Open to SDK, even though we need mids and smalls more. He is that 10 year, Jones man on man replacement people here say we need. That will free up Busslinger and JOD to play more intercept roles, which is their strengths. He has had some decent scalps in his career.

If English plays soft again next year, ship him to Calrton for the other DeKoning.

But the SDK thing will not happen. So hope we get as many decent picks together as possible and fill the gaps.

Feels like Blues make most sense.

I would love him obviously but don’t think he’d be worth the cost when we already have Dale. They would work together really well don’t get me wrong and Houston is a superior defender than Dale, but it seems weird paying a first rounder and some for a premium ball user off half back when we’ve already got one.
Blues are already spending $1.6 mill of their cap on Zac Williams and Saad. Add a fat contract to Houston and that's a lot on back flankers.

What are the chances we send him to the draft and get a priority pick after where our first would’ve landed, like FA compensation?
Zero.
It would be a Jack Martin/ Nick Stevens/Luke Ball situation. If we send him to the ND or PSD we get nothing.

I think the major one atm is the company he keeps, and reportedly (including by several posters on here) the discomfort of club officials when he has brought the same acquaintances into the rooms post-match. The inference is also these have been linked through his boxing. Not sure if/where his family sits in this scenario, and may be inflated somewhat when you add BF as the reporting tool, but he is only 22, so even if slightly blown out of proportion in terms of his company, hopefully he gets some guidance... and takes it on board.

Fwiw, I don't want him traded. But how the game evolves may make it problematic trying to fit JUH, Astro and Darcy into both the forward line and the salary cap in future. Alternative would be to ruck Darcy, but then English is now on a long-term contract as well...
If we're gonna trade him then we should do it this year ... to Richmond. They're used to dealing with that sort of thing and they have a heap of first round picks. I'll take two thanks.

If list managers are changing their view and perceived value on a player - for matches that have already been played and time being spent analysing their value and worth - on the basis of a highly flawed and imprecise voting system, they shouldn't be in the job.

The Brownlow did absolutely nothing to change any theoretical Butters trade.
Relax mate, it was in jest.

Not all in on Houston, because it will cost us a lot in draft capital, which we do not have at all. And set us back fixing the holes with only a couple of drafts until TAS comes in.

Open to SDK, even though we need mids and smalls more. He is that 10 year, Jones man on man replacement people here say we need. That will free up Busslinger and JOD to play more intercept roles, which is their strengths. He has had some decent scalps in his career.

If English plays soft again next year, ship him to Calrton for the other DeKoning.

But the SDK thing will not happen. So hope we get as many decent picks together as possible and fill the gaps.

Tom Boyd was never going to happen...until it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back