Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm..that's what Ryan Griffen said to a bunch of junior footballers...less than a week later... kaboom šŸ’©
BRB

Grabbing a ruler to check how close Sonny's eyes are together

Tom Morris reported that if CD requested a trade out, the dogs will get it done in good faith.
Quickly removed the tweet lol
Often when weā€™ve brought in a player who had fallen out of favour (ie Cloke) weā€™ve got them out for a late pick.

I doubt another club would want to trade much more than a late pick for Daniel. Iā€™d love to be wrong.

Sorry... you'd rather have 6 disposals with 5 clangers than kick 8.4?

Apologies for my lack of humour.

Was trying to show it is not necessarily how you go game 1 but rather how you exit the game.

Chook goes to play 100 games his first game will be forgotten

John Georgiades played probably 15 games

X has listed a few players who are in limbo. JJ and Keath from us, but there were a couple of names I would look at.

Cumberland: he's had some great games and is a genuine ground player.

Jayden Davey: Didn't play AFL, but he has solid VFL form. Essendon were shit this year in the VFL.

Reef McInnes: He has elite disposal and is a solid mark. Maybe he can be a defender. I know we were interested in his draft year.

Jack Carrol: Not much time at AFL, but a MID/FWD in the VFL averaging nearly 30 possessions and 3 tackles a game.

Ethan Phillips: I know a couple liked the look of him last year. Still has outstanding VFL form.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Often when weā€™ve brought in a player who had fallen out of favour (ie Cloke) weā€™ve got them out for a late pick.

I doubt another club would want to trade much more than a late pick for Daniel. Iā€™d love to be wrong.
Iā€™m not the worldā€™s biggest fan of Caleb, Iā€™ve never liked his defensive side.

But his big issue this season was fitting into the system. I have no doubt he has 5 years of very good football in the right system where they can afford to play someone without great leg speed ie Collingwood with Pendlebury.

I certainly wouldnā€™t be discarding him for a token pick especially if we lose Macrae.

Brad Johnson is hard to listen to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL media is one of the best immature in the sporting world.

Guys like Morris, McClure & Twomey try so hard to be like the NBA/NFL breaking news journalists.

I donā€™t think itā€™s worth worrying about unless itā€™s a nomination for a club from a player.

There was about 5 different reports yesterday about Peatling with different clubs as favourites.
Woah, woah, woah. I won't stand for any Callum Twomey slander. He's actually one of the good guys. One of the best in the business.

Two years ago Lohmann was average and wasnā€™t a need and the club was stupid for chasing him and we were better off with the draft pick. This thread is a shocker this time of year.
I would hazard a guess that our talent identification form is pretty good Freijah an example. So if they think SDK is a good fit then happy to back that. Obviously he doesn't want to make the move so it is a shame

Two years ago Lohmann was average and wasnā€™t a need and the club was stupid for chasing him and we were better off with the draft pick. This thread is a shocker this time of year.
I was very into him and IIRC the club asked about him in relation to the Dunkley year.
There was the Ballarat connection too

Using draft point equivalencies is a bit misleading, not to mention that in some of those deals picks went back the other way. Like, Dunkley for example - we traded two third rounders plus Dunkley for pick 21 and a future 1st/2nd/3rd. Is that really better than "pick 15 and something later in the draft?" That's without mentioning Dunkley's consistently excellent form, maturity, health, and lack of red flags.
My comparisons factored in the trades in their entirety including picks going back the other way.
If not for a universal points system how else can we determine fair value? Without a name attached to a pick the only tool we have is points. And just for the record I'm not saying Smith is worth a top 5 pick like the examples given, more so a top 10.

Reconstruction failure rates are superior to what they used to be, sure, but they still aren't fantastic. More to the point, too many players never get back to their best.
A few blokes that went alright:
James Sicily
Robbie Grey
Christian Petracca
Max Gawn
Libba
Will Ashcroft
David Rodan
Daniel Rich
Taylor Walker
Lenny Hayes
Brendan Goddard
Richo
Nic Naitanui
Cam Rayner
Rob Harvey

The marketing argument just doesn't wash for me. He's no use from a marketing perspective if he doesn't football real good. I don't think it has ever factored into a trade.
I think you're underestimating the star power of this guy. His 'celebrity' status is arguably the biggest in the game with easily the largest social media following. This would absolutely translate to increased membership revenue, greater appeal to potential sponsors, and drive merchandise sales.
Football isn't as tribal as it used to be, with the advent of social media kids follow players as much as they do teams these days. I see it with my own nephews and nieces, and kids of friends.

Regardless, a key aspect of many of these deals is that they were done using assets that the receiving club already had. Geelong doesn't have them, and we have absolutely no leverage to demand that they get them
Geelong have plenty of assets, I count 44 of them on their list. If you don't have the currency to get a fair deal done then it's time to give up something of value. Clubs have many levers to pull, simply shrugging your shoulders and gesturing with empty hands is BS and not acting in good faith.
We're undoubtedly in a weaker position than the cats, however, don't forget they have been seeking out Smith for 12-18 months now. They can't sell him the dream, have him nominate them as his club of choice and then leave him high and dry. The onus is on them, they have a responsibility to get a deal done.

We make finals most years and miss out on players to a bottom team. Not a great start to this off season, and it looks like itā€™s going to get worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back