Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Surely nobody thinks Smith is playing for scraps with his playing contract? Yes, he has his 'deals' but he would be all about the $$$, so we need to really squeeze hard. Really hard.
Exactly, there is no world where he will be paid less than $850k-$900k a year over the life of the deal. Those Kings Domain Barber posts on insta can only pay so much.

Only 34 players in the league were paid $900+k in 2023. Salary cap and all that going up, but if he's on $900k a year, he's going to still bein the top 75 or so players in the league over the life of his contract - the 3rd-4th highest paid player in a given team at a given point in time.

I know it's not exactly how these things work, but if you could get your 4th best player in an average team with a random pick 15, you'd run away with that without a second thought.

Would we consider Curtis Taylor from North ?

Has played on the wing aged 24 good height at 187cm

Around 80 games could be a free shot
I’d hope so. I think he deserves a second go, showed some good signs at North and it couldn’t be an easy job playing his role in their side.

I’d rather move on Scott/Baker and take a crack at him. Fringe player who still has potential to improve.

Geelong thinking they can have it all is really something.

Oliver's on what, 1.2 mill a season? Even with all his issues, if you can lock in his contract at 600k, he's worth a first rounder, because the possible updside of him maybe returning to his form on a relatively cheap contract (with the salary cap going up) is immense.
His contract must be back-ended then. Because it averaged out to about 1.5m over the remaining years apparently.

His contract must be back-ended then. Because it averaged out to about 1.5m over the remaining years apparently.
That would be meeting all triggers and/or Oliver not renegotiating his contract to take a bit of a haircut to get the trade over the line I reckon, if he wants out of Melbourne and maybe to try and win another flag with Geelong next year

That would be meeting all triggers and/or Oliver not renegotiating his contract to take a bit of a haircut to get the trade over the line I reckon, if he wants out of Melbourne and maybe to try and win another flag with Geelong next year
Would never happen, but i'd love the AFL to bring in a rule whereas any player earning over XX per year over XX years that is traded can have the money redistributed within that contract term, so move money from year to year, but not extend the term per se. I know there are rules around doing that for free agents, but that should carry over to everyone else who hits a certain criteria. Let's say anyone earning more than 700k over three years would be impacted.

Would never happen, but i'd love the AFL to bring in a rule whereas any player earning over XX per year over XX years that is traded can have the money redistributed within that contract term, so move money from year to year, but not extend the term per se. I know there are rules around doing that for free agents, but that should carry over to everyone else who hits a certain criteria. Let's say anyone earning more than 700k over three years would be impacted.
Geelong rorted the system with Bowes and got pick 7 as well. At least Jhye Clark looks like a below average player despite their desperation for him to be good.

They smoothed his contract over a few more years. They shouldn't have been allowed to do that

My take on Oliver and Geelong

Melbourne and Oliver in all this made sure that the door was not closed to him returning
Oliver may have had a preference to go to Cats but he also felt he could walk back into Melbourne at any point
Melbourne would be happy content to have Oliver back and used opportunity to clear the air with him and other issues

So why didn't deal go ahead?

Because what Cats were offering did not match the interest they showed in Oliver and Melbourne told them get stuffed and he is contracted, we are happy to keep him and you will not bend us over by taking advantage of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing Melbourne wanted a first and half his salary off the books whilst Geelong were only willing to pay just over half and a second rounder.
If Melbourne have set the price at a first rounder and are prepared to pay half is salary, I'd reckon someone will roll the dice. I'd guess either Essendon or StKilda.

That, or Geelong and Connors are keeping their lips extremely tight because they know if they let slip how much Geelong would be paying him (a million or so per year), merely pick 15 seems like nothing in comparison
They won’t pay him a million….i mean some dickhead on Twitter told me players go to Geel for unders for success and money isn’t a driver for them. No one that plays for Geelong is motivated by money apparently

We are talking Fabio jr here - there is no way he says yeah I’ll play for Geelong for 500k because I just don’t like money

Coming off a knee, his career could end up very short if it goes again….magine he got a million and not 500k

It ****ing stinks AFL…..AND YOU NEVER MAKE COLLINGWOOD PLAY THERE

Tom’s Career lives on

I dont begrudge him being able to eke out a long career out of a game that chews up and spits out 6 footers. Indeed it amuses me no end. But the reality of this signing is that it speaks volumes to how clubs see the role of ruckman in the modern game. When a guy who will be 33 next season and has managed to play 58 games over the course of a dozen seasons. Is seen as a better option than putting the hard work into a developing ruck who will almost certainly be poached as he bides his time behind the No:1 ruck. Or worse still, a state league palooka.

Theres hope for all you tall oafs still harbouring a dream of playing the game at the top level.

Stick at it big fellas, a team will come knocking.

Saints supporters losing their minds waiting for Battle's compensation is entertaining

Im sure that our Geelong supporting lurkers find this thread equally entertaining.

Hello to them. I hope you're suitably entertained.

N4G1FCT.gif

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back