Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I always love the framing of this as if it's the Dogs that are going to be difficult, that we have to concede, that we have to accomodate.

Geelong want him, they've done the sweet talking, it's on them to satisfy us, not the other way around.

The AFL and AFLPA have always wanted to make the movement of players between clubs easier. The opacity of the FA compensation system is the perfect way to engineer such desired outcomes. Under this system everybody involved makes out like bandits.

It's all the other clubs that get pushed back in the draft or lose players before arriving at FA gravy train station that pay the price of a pineapple up the ol' jacksie. For the AFL and AFLPA largesse.

And we all laugh...
An arbitration panel for unrestricted free agents would have solved it, and make the acquiring club pay in draft pick points rather than bumping others down the order.

It’s utterly stupid as it is now.

Because Smith woke up yesterday morning and out of the blue decided he wanted to go to Geelong! The Cats had no clue whatsoever and hadn't even heard of Smith before then.

Also, the Dogs demands are clear here. It's on record. The deal could be done on Day 1 if Geelong really want it to be done. So the media have to ask the question - if Geelong want him so badly why aren't they just getting it done?

I mentioned Will Hamill a few months ago. Just delisted by the Crows. Think he could be a good pick up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I make the same post every season, so you're probably sick of it but you're going to have to read it so I can vent

Really sick of the free agency compensation being so high. Team getting the free agent wins, team losing the free agent wins, other 16 teams lose. Its just a broken system and its been a broken system since the Frawley deal a decade ago

I would go even further but so much of it would be fixed if band 1 compensation was just end of the first round. You still have restricted free agency where if teams aren't happy with the compo they can force it to a trade Jeremy Cameron style. If you're so incompetent that a gun player ends up being an unrestricted free agent, you shouldn't get bailed out by the AFL

I have no issue with Battle being band 1, he is a really good player and brings it every week. It hasn't been like a Ben McKay situation where he checked out years before going out of contract and probably would've been traded before free agency if not for this system where North knew they would be rewarded for running their football club extremely poorly

In: SDK, F1
Out: Baz, F2

I would imagine De Koning is worth more on the trade market than Smith is. Hope we target SDK, good player already / outstanding prospect but if its either of us adding something to the deal, its probably us

I can't imagine them allowing De Koning to leave

I would imagine De Koning is worth more on the trade market than Smith is. Hope we target SDK, good player already / outstanding prospect but if its either of us adding something to the deal, its probably us

I can't imagine them allowing De Koning to leave
Then take him next year out of contract and screw Geelong for once

They've lost too many free agents that they probably thought they were decent chances of keeping. Can't imagine they'll trade anyone out who are in contract unless they get overs in a trade deal or that the player is going to cause a distraction. Can't imagine O'Halloran being that type of guy

Think we'd be silly to trade anything of note for him. I'm not against him for a late, nothing to lose type pick but GWS would be silly to accept that now

The AFL media love 'trade deals getting done' so if you are perceived to be holding a deal up, even if it's becuase the offer is rubbish, they will turn on you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back