Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Like MOST(!) on here, I have no doubt Smiff will get to the Corio Dung-hole. Doesn't mean I have to like it. In fact I have it on good authority I will be p1ssed off (possibly borderline melting) regardless of the end details of the trade. 🤪

But I suspect I won't be melting as much as some on here. Which is ok too, each to their own.

Combine Smiff, Mackie, the Corio Mange-lickers, Connors and the AFL player movement 'facility' and it's hard to find a bigger collection of out and out w4nkers.

I've already expressed my sentiment on here towards Smiff and the Corio pustules for next year (duly deleted, so I'm not silly enough to try and repeat it). So I'll just say a pox on him and his new club... ad infinitum.

Perhaps it's been a bit lost in what I've been saying. I want as much for Bailey as we can get, I want a future first round pick and a second round pick, hell I want more than that, but I'm just being realistic.

No club is going to draft Bailey Smith knowing full well he doesn't want to go to their club, so the Dogs have a week to either convince Bailey and his management to open up his options (which I'm sure they've tried to do for as long as they've known he wants to leave) OR they need to hope a club will ignore Bailey's desires and draft a player that's openly wanting to go elsewhere. Given neither of these things are actually going to happen, there's really no reason for Geelong to offer us any more than it would otherwise cost them to draft Bailey.

Now - I realise the risk of another club drafting him isn't zero so of course the best case scenario for Bailey, his management, his new club and us is that Geelong trade for Bailey, but the best case scenario and the next best case scenario for Geelong isn't really a divide so great that it's worth them giving up anything extra of substance for it to happen.
You keep saying with certainty that no club would draft Smith before Geelong. Richmond would be nuts not to given they'll have 4 (or 5) picks before Geelong. Saints a chance as well.

Smith won't sit out 2 years of footy and miss $1.6 to $2m in earnings because he wants to play for Geelong only. How much does 3 years out of the game impact his "brand" and athletic performance?

He would swallow his pride and play for whoever picks him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You keep saying with certainty that no club would draft Smith before Geelong. Richmond would be nuts not to given they'll have 4 (or 5) picks before Geelong. Saints a chance as well.

Smith won't sit out 2 years of footy and miss $1.6 to $2m in earnings because he wants to play for Geelong only. How much does 3 years out of the game impact his "brand" and athletic performance?

Exactly this,

He's 23 and shown he can be an elite level footballer at AFL level (Tim Kelly was drafted age 24 at pick 24) to think a club would take the risk on Smith before what will end up at 20 I think is fairly optimistic

Lol Derwayne just said he rates Thilthorpe higher than JUH & he should've been pick 1
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

After this response I promise I’ll be done talking about it but It’s not just about what Smith would or wouldn’t do during the contract, although that is a factor. I suspect Bailey would swallow his pride and he’d honour the contract. But then what?

In a rebuild the magnitude of Richmond’s they will absolutely preference new draftees over Bailey, but if that isn’t enough - how many of Richmond’s draftees do you think will be involved with Connor Sports? What does it do to Richmond’s trading relationship with Geelong moving forward if they were to draft him?

These are why they or anyone else wouldn’t do it. It’s simply not worth it.

Lol Derwayne just said he rates Thilthorpe higher than JUH & he should've been pick 1

I have heard him say that even though JUH was number 1 rated and Dogs were always going to take him Crows should have taken Riley as Number 1 to show him your our man, have the title and get some money.

I did not hear today but I know he has the view I noted above.

After this response I promise I’ll be done talking about it but It’s not just about what Smith would or wouldn’t do during the contract, although that is a factor. I suspect Bailey would swallow his pride and he’d honour the contract. But then what?

In a rebuild the magnitude of Richmond’s they will absolutely preference new draftees over Bailey, but if that isn’t enough - how many of Richmond’s draftees do you think will be involved with Connor Sports? What does it do to Richmond’s trading relationship with Geelong moving forward if they were to draft him?

These are why they or anyone else wouldn’t do it. It’s simply not worth it.
You do realise this will also have negative effects for Connors then anyway right?

You do realise this will also have negative effects for Connors then anyway right?
Again mate, I'm done talking about it. Happy for you to disagree with the points I'm making but I'm not going to change my mind, you won't change yours - we move on.

Guys, I'm over here reading just for something to do.
I'm still 6 pages back from this post.

BUT, there's zero chance Smith will go to the ND.
Geelong won't do it to him or you. That would be a bastard act.

I know very little about Smith. But apparently you (supporters) see him as 2 first round picks.
Our (supporters) see him as a first rounder and something extra.

I think there's a reason Mackie wasn't happy with the compo picks handed out. Because it put us back on the value of our offer.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see something in the middle of what both supporter groups want.
Round 1 -2024. Round 2 -2025. Bulldogs Round 3 or 4 2024 coming back.

In summation, I really cant see you being screwed over, but you'll get less than the perfect scenario.

As for the Kelly scenario that some have mentioned. I seriously dont know why West Coke gave what they did. Kelly said he wouldn't go anywhere else. So we were snookered. But they still handed it over.

Stringer is good recruiting from the giants.

Will get 90 - 100 goals from Him & Hogan both of which they paid peanuts for.

I get good characters etc but you need to win games at the end of the day.

The game is evolving to favour greyhounds at the moment - there is room for lazy ****s in the forward line, but they have to make up for it with offensive prowess. Is 40 goals enough to make up for Stringer letting them walk it out of the forward line?

I have heard him say that even though JUH was number 1 rated and Dogs were always going to take him Crows should have taken Riley as Number 1 to show him your our man, have the title and get some money.

I did not hear today but I know he has the view I noted above.
That's what he said today too, nothing I heard was about Thilthorpe being a better player, just that Adelaide should have shown Thilthorpe that he was their man and picked him with number 1 without bidding on JUH.

Guys, I'm over here reading just for something to do.
I'm still 6 pages back from this post.

BUT, there's zero chance Smith will go to the ND.
Geelong won't do it to him or you. That would be a bastard act.

I know very little about Smith. But apparently you (supporters) see him as 2 first round picks.
Our (supporters) see him as a first rounder and something extra.

I think there's a reason Mackie wasn't happy with the compo picks handed out. Because it put us back on the value of our offer.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see something in the middle of what both supporter groups want.
Round 1 -2024. Round 2 -2025. Bulldogs Round 3 or 4 2024 coming back.

In summation, I really cant see you being screwed over, but you'll get less than the perfect scenario.

As for the Kelly scenario that some have mentioned. I seriously dont know why West Coke gave what they did. Kelly said he wouldn't go anywhere else. So we were snookered. But they still handed it over.
I think your summation is basically right. Power and Mackie will spend days bickering over the F3/F4 side of the equation. Trade will draw out till the final hours, AFL will be happy with the drama/media attention. Feels very predictable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back