Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have completely abandoned the footy media since 2021 and don’t even venture outside of this board, but seeing some of the reports and Tweets posted in here shows how biased it is toward the “big” Melbourne clubs. Richmond and Collingwood can push for overs for Rioli and Noble and no one bats an eye lid, but the Dogs should shut up and by thankful for whatever Cotton On give us, even after they have been tapping him up as a contracted player for 2 years.

We cant win with this one. The AFL pretend to care about the third party stuff but ultimately do nothing. Just looking forward to it being over, don’t care of a trade gets done or he goes to the draft, the whole situation stinks and is certainly different to any other player leaving.

Aside from injury or poor health, wish the bloke donuts with his career down there.

I'd love Cornes to explain what the Bulldogs should have done with the Naughton contract.

Naughty gets approached by Sydney and offered a 10 year contract at 1M per year.
His manager comes to us and says he wants to stay, loves the club etc, so what can you do.
Dogs come up with 8 years at 900K and Naughty goes that'll do - I am a Bulldog for life.

The bloke loves the club, he is loved by his teammates and is in the leadership group.
Not stumping up would rip the fabric out of our culture.

Cornes never addresses this.
Cornes enjoys living rent free in our heads.
He also lives rent free in the heads of other clubs supporters.
It's more amazing that people allow him to live rent free, rather than just ignoring him.

He could also do his knee again and be left with a one year contract.

We are absolute gooses for letting Jamarra, English and Smith go into this year with one year left. Everyone thinks Sam Power is a genius for some reason, I haven’t been impressed with him at all.
Beast Mode.
People love the trading stuff, they barrack for it more so than the actual season.
It is what it is, but Beast Mode lol.

I have completely abandoned the footy media since 2021 and don’t even venture outside of this board, but seeing some of the reports and Tweets posted in here shows how biased it is toward the “big” Melbourne clubs. Richmond and Collingwood can push for overs for Rioli and Noble and no one bats an eye lid, but the Dogs should shut up and by thankful for whatever Cotton On give us, even after they have been tapping him up as a contracted player for 2 years.

We cant win with this one. The AFL pretend to care about the third party stuff but ultimately do nothing. Just looking forward to it being over, don’t care of a trade gets done or he goes to the draft, the whole situation stinks and is certainly different to any other player leaving.

Aside from injury or poor health, wish the bloke donuts with his career down there.

Same, but for longer. I don't need a daily reminder of how hopelessly compromised and broken the AFL competition has become. If, for some reason, the Doggies were to go under (god forbid), then I wouldn't engage with the AFL ever again.

That’s where him and westy should be playing. High half fwd, rotating as 4th and 5th mids. Both can snag a goal and bring a bit of cu$t to the middle when required whilst providing fwd pressure when fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They were awesome when both went in to the middle against Sydney. Really shook things up and Syd had no plan for it.

Our mids have been awesome but very predictable for a while now

People wonder what the value of good club culture actually is.

To me it's the idea that you can tell someone that they're looking around to an improvement on your list, and they have to wait, and you can't commit to them.

If you have good club culture they'll take that in good faith and not take it personally, and will still try their best irrespective of what's out of control.

A bad club culture will have players wanting to leave - even if it's against the best interests of remaining on an AFL list anywhere - if you tell them that they have to wait around and you're not engaging with them in good faith.
A good club culture is having your number 1 ruck injured and missing the gf but instead of sooking it up was the epitome of team. Even the comment that he didn’t even know if he would get picked for the gf showed what Bris have built

Bad culture, or should I say bad eggs in a culture is a player like Smith saying things like he’s outgrown us when clearly he’s just having a sook because he’s not playing in the position he wants to be

We were all happy for Geelong back then, we didn’t think they would become this parasitic club, whose supporters arrogantly put down other teams for not being successful while they are leeching their players away. The karma bus will hit them eventually, who knows it might even be in the form of Smith himself.
Essendon (Stringer) tick
Dees (Hunter) tick
Geelong (Smith) ?

Evil Plan Plotting GIF by Red Fang

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could also do his knee again and be left with a one year contract.

We are absolute gooses for letting Jamarra, English and Smith go into this year with one year left. Everyone thinks Sam Power is a genius for some reason, I haven’t been impressed with him at all.
I get you, but the way it’s set up with player power you just have to back yourself to get them signed in that final year. If we traded every player that had one year left on their contract we would be treading water at the bottom for a very long time. There’s little incentive for a player to re-sign before his final year. 💩 system I know.

So if clubs like ours just can't compete, makes you wonder why we even bother?

Just concede we're now like the EPL and pray for a miracle.
Got to get better, smarter, more creative around all aspects of the club but it is loaded against teams like us.
We had an opportunity after 2016 to cement ourselves and didn’t.
We have an opportunity now with the new facilities but I see very little PR from the club. We have a line coach who has just won an award, we have one of the best players in history, we provide opportunity via Footscray, great stories in recycled players like Bramble, pretty successful in the draft.
We should be more attractive than we currently appear to be from the outside.

Mate I have to be honest I think the idea they’re operating on some higher plane of football existence is nonsense. They’ve translated all the advantages that come with the only individual Victorian home ground and a geographic pull for the urban cowboys and surf floggos segment of the AFL into equivalent success to ours for nearly 15 years. Even now, they’re going the bin chicken route for a drug addled Oliver and only getting Smith and his bung knee because they’re Cotton On’s football division.
Yes. Thats all very cute.

As Ive acknowledged there are a myriad of reasons to explain the differences between the two clubs.

In the end. It makes little to no difference to the subject at hand of sustained success if they've achieved this by hook or by crook. The only metric that counts in this game is premierships.

We can cling to the moral high ground all we like, but it's not a measurable gauge of success.

I say this every year but trading period is my least favourite time on the AFL calendar. Nine days of waffle, discussion on scenarios that never eventuate and other dross. Then a single day when everything happens.
A movie I like is Trading Day. The AFL can learn a lot from this movie and they don’t even have to watch it. The “ learning” is in the title. Not period, not days not even ad nauseum but “day”. The trades will still get done I promise. And we will be spared the tedium, the pontifications of the journalist and rival club posters and the lies from club officials.

Yes. Thats all very cute.

As Ive acknowledged there are a myriad of reasons to explain the differences between the two clubs.

In the end. It makes little to no difference to the subject at hand of sustained success if they've achieved this by hook or by crook. The only metric that counts in this game is premierships.

We can cling to the moral high ground all we like, but it's not a measurable gauge of success.

Well, no, it’s not “cute”, it speaks precisely to your statement that “they are an incredibly well run and coached club”. Is it incredible? Is that really the case? Judged against the advantages that even you admit they have. Morals have nothing to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back