Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs want a top 10 pick. Cats only willing to give 17, confident they'll get him there in the draft if dogs don't accept.

Wednesday morning, Geelong trades out their pick 17 for a future and say “well we made you our fairest offer and if you’re going to decline it then we have no choice but to move on with our trade period”.

People knocking the AFL over the length and supposed tedium of trade period should stop and consider all the good the AFL has done to increase the love of the game in the community. The AFL takes growth of the game very seriously and the executives don’t award themselves annual performance bonus payments for nothing you know.
Let’s look at the recent grand final. The attendance was 100,013. We only got that many people there because the AFL “learned” us to love the game. You think it’s just in our DNA? Go back to 1970 or 1971 and see how many people actually bothered to turn up. That will set you straight.
What about regular season attendances I hear you ask. Good point. This year the AFL got 88,362 to go to Carlton Collingwood game. Go back to say 1958, again before the AFL came to be in 1990. How many attended that particular game? Probably two men and a dog. And I bet the dog was a male. It’s only through the efforts of the AFL that females are interested in sport nowadays don’t you know.
And what about overseas interest in our great game. Supposedly there was a game in the 1956 olympics ( demonstration sport only) and a game in an old town called London but where else. Which organisation gave us CHINA. How crucial was that in expanding interest in the game? I’ll prove it to you. In 1990 when the AFL was formed Australia’s population was 17.7 million today it is 26.7 million. That’s an extra 18 million eyeballs on the game! The love of our game drew millions here. The tv ratings achieved under the AFL massively swamp anything previous administrations achieved. All through the vision to play in China.
The AFL is the reason we love the game and only fools would question them.
I thought this was serious for a moment. 😂

How’s the comparison in commentary?

Fox Footy’s Leigh Montagna said he liked the approach taken by Geelong, given it was clear the Power were “desperate”.

“I like this – the good old-fashioned standoff,” he said on Trading Day.

“Geelong know how desperate Port Adelaide are to get Ratugolea.

“They are in premiership contention, they believe they are next season, and they need some key defenders.

“Geelong are just standing firm and saying, ‘if you want him, you’re going to have to budge. You’re going to have to come up with something better’. I like it.

Really hoping you guys stick to demanding fair value. These campaigners have had preferential treatment for far too long.

They’re going to keep getting it unfortunately. The more Smith lowers his trade value, the more Cotton On FC puts in the brown paper bags and the AFL looks the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s the comparison in commentary?

Fox Footy’s Leigh Montagna said he liked the approach taken by Geelong, given it was clear the Power were “desperate”.

“I like this – the good old-fashioned standoff,” he said on Trading Day.

“Geelong know how desperate Port Adelaide are to get Ratugolea.

“They are in premiership contention, they believe they are next season, and they need some key defenders.

“Geelong are just standing firm and saying, ‘if you want him, you’re going to have to budge. You’re going to have to come up with something better’. I like it.

It’s ridiculous. He ended up going for that pick (that became 25 by a quick search) and 2 late, irrelevant picks. Even at the time, it was overs for him.

But now the shoe is on the other foot for Geelong and they will be more than happy to go the draft route, as they know nothing will ever happen to them over how they’ve dealt with it, because nothing ever happens with them.

It’s ridiculous. He ended up going for that pick (that became 25 by a quick search) and 2 late, irrelevant picks. Even at the time, it was overs for him.

But now the shoe is on the other foot for Geelong and they will be more than happy to go the draft route, as they know nothing will ever happen to them over how they’ve dealt with it, because nothing ever happens with them.
It will come a time when a club gives Geelong the some treatment was kind of hoping Port Adelaide would last year.

Lawson Humphrey's was one of those late picks

It will come a time when a club gives Geelong the some treatment was kind of hoping Port Adelaide would last year.
There will come a time when Geelong wants a favour and might find it hard to get a club to do it. Bad faith dealing is bad business.

He was last or second last pick taken in the draft. Geelong would’ve had picks there anyway with or without the add ons
Second last pick. I know they could've gotten an end of draft pick anywhere but it's still one hell of a story. Finding a mature guy stuck in WAFL reserves and turning him into a best 22 player in a finals winning team year one is quite the effort.

Second last pick. I know they could've gotten an end of draft pick anywhere but it's still one hell of a story. Finding a mature guy stuck in WAFL reserves and turning him into a best 22 player in a finals winning team year one is quite the effort.

He’s an incredible player and a brilliant find. But he shouldn’t be used as an example that Geelong were right in wasting two weeks of negotiating and complaining with Port to add irrelevant picks 76 and 94 in a deal that was offered day one.

He’s an incredible player and a brilliant find. But he shouldn’t be used as an example that Geelong were right in wasting two weeks of negotiating and complaining with Port to add irrelevant picks 76 and 94 in a deal that was offered day one.
I agree pick 25 was enough on its own and we'll overs in my opinion but Lawson is still part of the package they got for him so will be linked regardless, even though they likely pick him up somehow anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back