Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the point in opening up salary if you can't attract anyone to use it on.

If we use it all on our key positions players then that isn't really helping
Front load salary and go again the next year. It's not hard. No player passes up the chance to front load their existing contract because it gives them additional money to invest.

If we’re sending 35 with Caleb to North for 25 we should be asking for something more coming back. Might be a little unpopular, but reckon we could do worse than Firrito - fills a need as a lockdown defender

That’s a terrible deal. Would rather just have their 3rd.

It probably would involve our 48 rather than 35, as that north poster was suggesting earlier.

Geelong have not lost a player that they have wanted to keep since 2016 when Cotton On became their major sponsor. The Kelly trade was abased on compassionate grounds. Recruiting meetings are held in the Cotton On boardroom. There is a landscaping company that has the contract for Cotton On and they maintain the farms of 5 or so Cats players for free which is worth $150/200k per year. There has been several instances of cats players selling their houses for a million over reserve to people with links to Geelong and Cotton On. Add to that the well known property deals offered to players just before favourable rezoning is announced….
It will come out eventually but it will take a journo with some investigating skills and a determination to expose this cheating bullshit.
Wow that's all worse than what Carlton got busted for surely
200.gif

Sanders and Croft for three first rounders, wasn't it? Our pick and Brisbane's last year and ours this year. At the moment looking at the drafts I'd prefer Darcy Wilson and Xavier Lindsay over Sanders on his own.
Some people on this board really don't know much huh... it makes me embarrassed that you lot call yourself Doggies "supporters" when all you do is constantly put down the club. You'd be lying to yourself if you believe that 17 other clubs wouldn't take Sanders right now.

This how.

View attachment 2140121

Discount bins in bookshops all across the nation are full of football autobiographies that publishers thought they could turn an easy buck on. Typically we see this just after a player exits the game and is looking for one last cash grab as he transition back into the real world of having a proper job. But we now live in an age of idiocy and influencers with enormous reach and people only too willing to buy whatever shit (as seen in the above bio) they are willing to attach their name.

As an aside. I like that he has a picture of his pet tapeworm as an insta profile pic and when you click on it he's giving it a pat whist taking a selfie in the mirror. Now I know how he got those wonderful abs.
He might have similar numbers on IG as Buddy or Dusty, but deep down he knows he'll never be able to command a room like those two. There's numerous stories online by people who would say how when these blokes entered a room there would be hush whispers and all eyes would be on them. They were the focal point in any situation, but Smith will never be that.

Not sure where people are getting this idea that a nothing pick for the entirety of Macrae's salary is not paying enough or something.

Firstly we should consider that Macrae himself has requested the trade. I think out of respect for Macrae himself we should look at giving him what he wants.

The rub is that there's three years guaranteed. Macrae's 30, declined as a player, not going to get any quicker. I think his immediate future in a one to two year span is fine, but that third year of $500k+ or more is ugly.

If Macrae was a free agent, would any club in the league at all be giving him a third year guaranteed at even a minimum contract amount, let alone at an above-average salary? I doubt it. That delta between what he's worth "in the market" and what he's guaranteed to be paid is ultimately a negative value. Which cancels out with the positive value of the fact that at least in the short term Saints will have a starting midfielder rather than having Windhager only have the capability to win 15 touches a game despite tracking the ball or whatever. It can be both true that for year 1 he's a valuable player, for year 3 of the contract he's a salary dump, so the two cancel each other in my eyes.

And the fact that we don't have "cap pressure" is not at all important. Sure, we can use it at a way of squeezing a better pick out of the Saints - if the trade falls through, we're not going to be breaching AFL rules, so it's not a Treloar situation. But cap room is still valuable. We don't know if we will be in a cap squeeze in two off-season's time, when Macrae will still have a year's worth of guaranteed money. We can front load contracts. A lot can happen last minute (such as a Treloar equivalent). Barrass and Houston deals are yet to be done and we're not completely ruled out of the recruiting of both players if we somehow find the money to pay them. etc. etc.

Macrae could prove me wrong and have a better year next year than he did this year and he plays well that leads us to a flag. But it's equally likely that he plays even more in the VFL next year, and we're ruing the fact that he's still contracted for 2026 and 2027 and we're anticipating he's barely going to get an AFL game in those years if he's only played 10 AFL games and 10 VFL games in 2025 or whatever and instead of getting a 3rd round pick it would actually cost us a 3rd round pick to get off his $1 million + guaranteed for 2026 and 2027, to chase whatever free agent we want in the 2026-7 offseason (what if Rayner has an All-Australia year or whatever but is leaving Brisbane? He could command $1.5 million or whatever). We have to balance out the similar likelihood of each scenario.

Tbh I can't really make a fair judgement because it's not actually quite clear how much "guaranteed" money Macrae is on for the next 3 years and I think some of it is trigger/performance based. If Saints (or us) are paying him $2 million over 3 years as opposed to $1.8 million or whatever, that is a material difference that matters whether we should or shouldn't trade him.
Is there a scenario where if he stays, we try him as a defender? Something in the mold of a Shannon Hurn. Like we did with MBoyd when he got too old for the midfield, or like other clubs have done with Mundy, Zorko etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have not lost a player that they have wanted to keep since 2016 when Cotton On became their major sponsor. The Kelly trade was abased on compassionate grounds. Recruiting meetings are held in the Cotton On boardroom. There is a landscaping company that has the contract for Cotton On and they maintain the farms of 5 or so Cats players for free which is worth $150/200k per year. There has been several instances of cats players selling their houses for a million over reserve to people with links to Geelong and Cotton On. Add to that the well known property deals offered to players just before favourable rezoning is announced….
It will come out eventually but it will take a journo with some investigating skills and a determination to expose this cheating bullshit.
It all comes out in the wash eventually. It will be like the CFMEU saga. "Shocked"....yeah right everyone knew what what was going on from the front line member to the premier of Victoria. It's just a matter of time and the need for a decent investigative journalist who's not afraid of the Mafia esque afl, who would get them sacked from every major publication.

Guiness Book of Records for fastest publication to the bargain bin.
Hope it’s printed on soft 3-ply.

Here Comes The Mirror Man
Man In The Mirror
But my preference Pearl Jam - Rearviewmirror sung angrily as usual.
What a relief that when it’s over he’ll be someone else’s user and drainer.
It’s been tiresome.
Only release$ on FB, INSTA and Audio book….don't think his fans could read

I'd much rather two first rounders in this year's draft than Sanders, which is could have easily happened instead. I don't see how anyone would see that as the better option in hindsight.
We have Sanders with a year of development in him or another list clogger with another year to run on an initial contract and better picks this year with no guarantees

Tuned in for the first time this trade period.

Edmund saying 17 is all we will get and Connor’s is telling club not to touch smith in the draft. Basically draft tampering but not called out.

Cornes saying smith is a proven finals player and known quantity yet yeah 17 is fine and just walk him to the draft if dogs want to drive a bargain.

Also I note trade radio will not read out a single text that criticises or challenges their hosts. Know a few people that have text in and tried to call in none got aired. Not just dogs related either

We send Baz to the draft to send a message.

Connors ensures no teams draft Baz. He gets to Geelong.

Now in future teams know they don’t even have to bother trading with us for uncontracted players, courtesy of Connors who basically runs the afl. Just play hardball or take them in the draft.

Would not even be the first time Smith and Connors have tampered with the draft, we benefitted from it the first time.

Unfortunately I don’t see walking Baz to the draft having an outcome more beneficial to us than receiving Geelong’s first round pick.

We ****ed up in not trading him last year - Baz was never staying here and it seems we didn’t really want him either.

Lesson learned, let’s try and stop losing young talents or be more ruthless if they don’t extend early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back