Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez we've made some big calls on AA players, goal kicking winners and bnf winners over the last few years.

Stringer - did we get Ed Richards for him? If so I'd consider that a success.
Hunter - not sure what we got for him but that seemed to be a good call.
CD - we'll see. I'd imagine North will feed him plenty of the ball and it'll be a good fit for him.
Macrae - think he's still got two year left as an inside mid and as a Brad Crouch replacement should also find plenty of the footy at Saints.
That year we turned Stringer, pick 28 and a future 2nd (pick 31) into Josh Schache and Ed Richards. So, kind of?

Mitch Cleary said on his tradies podcast the other day to keep an eye on us and Butters…
Steve Harvey Judge GIF by ABC Network

Western Bulldogs defender Alex Keath has called time on his AFL career after 109 games across nine seasons at two clubs.

Keath began his professional sporting journey as a cricketer representing Australia at under 19s level before representing Victoria and the Melbourne Stars, among other teams.

Keath switched codes in 2015 to be drafted to Adelaide as a Category B Rookie, going on to play 30 games for the Crows.
Keath crossed to the Western Bulldogs during the 2019 trade period, playing 79 games for the red, white and blue across five seasons, including the 2021 Grand Final.

The courageous and reliable defender would often play crucial roles on some of the best forwards in the game, while also setting standards for teammates on and off the field.

Reflecting on his career, Keath said he was extremely grateful for the time he had spent at Mission Whitten Oval.

“I want to express my sincere gratitude to the Western Bulldogs Football Club,” Keath said.

“The players, coaches, support staff and volunteers have been a pleasure to work with.

“To our fans - it’s been a privilege to represent the Bulldogs faithful over the journey. The memories will last a lifetime, thank you.”

Sam Power, GM of List Management and Recruiting at the Bulldogs, said Keath should take pride in everything he has achieved throughout his playing career.

“Alex should be extremely proud of the contributions he made to both Adelaide and Western Bulldogs football clubs,” Power said.

“He is the epitome of hard work and determination, a reliable defender who gave his all each time he ran onto the field. He’s also a much-loved and highly respected individual, not just by his teammates but also by staff across all sections of our Club.

“We thank Alex for everything he gave to the Club in his time in red, white and blue and wish him, Laura, Oliver and Ella all the best for the next stage of their lives.”

Alex Keath: Career Snapshot​

Recruited from:
Shepparton Bears/Melbourne Grammar/Murray Bushrangers
Debut: Round 18, 2017 v Geelong
Career games: 109 (30 for Adelaide, 79 for Western Bulldogs)
Individual honours:

• Showdown Medal (round 8, 2019)
  • Brad Johnson Best Team Player Award (2021)

What an amazing pick up Alex Keath was just quietly. The 2020 and 21 campaigns were worth the trade alone, was a very underappreciated defender. He fell off a bit towards the end of his career and I think it actually coincided with us getting Liam Jones and giving Alex the freedom to drop a few kgs and revert back to his natural intercept position but it just didn't work unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an amazing pick up Alex Keath was just quietly. The 2020 and 21 campaigns were worth the trade alone, was a very underappreciated defender. He fell off a bit towards the end of his career and I think it actually coincided with us getting Liam Jones and giving Alex the freedom to drop a few kgs and revert back to his natural intercept position but it just didn't work unfortunately.
Stiff not to make the AA squad in 2021. Very good pick up for us

Western Bulldogs defender Alex Keath has called time on his AFL career after 109 games across nine seasons at two clubs.

Keath began his professional sporting journey as a cricketer representing Australia at under 19s level before representing Victoria and the Melbourne Stars, among other teams.

Keath switched codes in 2015 to be drafted to Adelaide as a Category B Rookie, going on to play 30 games for the Crows.
Keath crossed to the Western Bulldogs during the 2019 trade period, playing 79 games for the red, white and blue across five seasons, including the 2021 Grand Final.

The courageous and reliable defender would often play crucial roles on some of the best forwards in the game, while also setting standards for teammates on and off the field.

Reflecting on his career, Keath said he was extremely grateful for the time he had spent at Mission Whitten Oval.

“I want to express my sincere gratitude to the Western Bulldogs Football Club,” Keath said.

“The players, coaches, support staff and volunteers have been a pleasure to work with.

“To our fans - it’s been a privilege to represent the Bulldogs faithful over the journey. The memories will last a lifetime, thank you.”

Sam Power, GM of List Management and Recruiting at the Bulldogs, said Keath should take pride in everything he has achieved throughout his playing career.

“Alex should be extremely proud of the contributions he made to both Adelaide and Western Bulldogs football clubs,” Power said.

“He is the epitome of hard work and determination, a reliable defender who gave his all each time he ran onto the field. He’s also a much-loved and highly respected individual, not just by his teammates but also by staff across all sections of our Club.

“We thank Alex for everything he gave to the Club in his time in red, white and blue and wish him, Laura, Oliver and Ella all the best for the next stage of their lives.”

Alex Keath: Career Snapshot​

Recruited from: Shepparton Bears/Melbourne Grammar/Murray Bushrangers
Debut: Round 18, 2017 v Geelong
Career games: 109 (30 for Adelaide, 79 for Western Bulldogs)
Individual honours:

• Showdown Medal (round 8, 2019)
  • Brad Johnson Best Team Player Award (2021)
Amazing effort considering he was almost lost to professional sport entirely with his hamstring issues as a Gold Coast pre-listed kid, before he switched to cricket. Worked damn hard to get his body right.

He's also responsible for one of the greatest goals by a defender in AFL history (and some of the worst full-ground defending ever displayed, thanks to the witches hats at West Coast)

Great pick up who turned himself into a key position defender, having been recruited as an interceptor.

Where does that leave us with open list spots now?

I think Keath's play dropped off the same off-season that he first became a father, which when combined with his body breaking down a bit in 2022 for the first time, meant that his last three years with us were nothing like his first two.

Still, those first two were absolutely outstanding and as people said clearly worth the trades we put up, and his commitment to changing his role for us vs. what Adelaide had developed him to be was wonderful. He went from being a sort of intercepting/rebounding defensive utility at the Crows to an out-and-out big-bodied key defender who among other things was tasked with physically negating Hawkins etc.

If anyone wants a random non-Dogs game to watch this offseason and enjoy, his Showdown medal winning performance from 2019 for how he was uniquely able to dominate a game. Reading the play, scooping up loose balls intercepting, and rebounding and running and carrying and driving his team forward, all as a two-metre tall player. One of the most unique ways in which an AFL player has contributed to value and I can't think of a sure-fire BOG game by any player that I've watched that was both so weird but so dominant - and all from a bloke playing about his 20th game of league footy at the time.

Go well Keathy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back