Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs defender Alex Keath has called time on his AFL career after 109 games across nine seasons at two clubs.

Keath began his professional sporting journey as a cricketer representing Australia at under 19s level before representing Victoria and the Melbourne Stars, among other teams.

Keath switched codes in 2015 to be drafted to Adelaide as a Category B Rookie, going on to play 30 games for the Crows.
Keath crossed to the Western Bulldogs during the 2019 trade period, playing 79 games for the red, white and blue across five seasons, including the 2021 Grand Final.

The courageous and reliable defender would often play crucial roles on some of the best forwards in the game, while also setting standards for teammates on and off the field.

Reflecting on his career, Keath said he was extremely grateful for the time he had spent at Mission Whitten Oval.

“I want to express my sincere gratitude to the Western Bulldogs Football Club,” Keath said.

“The players, coaches, support staff and volunteers have been a pleasure to work with.

“To our fans - it’s been a privilege to represent the Bulldogs faithful over the journey. The memories will last a lifetime, thank you.”

Sam Power, GM of List Management and Recruiting at the Bulldogs, said Keath should take pride in everything he has achieved throughout his playing career.

“Alex should be extremely proud of the contributions he made to both Adelaide and Western Bulldogs football clubs,” Power said.

“He is the epitome of hard work and determination, a reliable defender who gave his all each time he ran onto the field. He’s also a much-loved and highly respected individual, not just by his teammates but also by staff across all sections of our Club.

“We thank Alex for everything he gave to the Club in his time in red, white and blue and wish him, Laura, Oliver and Ella all the best for the next stage of their lives.”

Alex Keath: Career Snapshot​

Recruited from: Shepparton Bears/Melbourne Grammar/Murray Bushrangers
Debut: Round 18, 2017 v Geelong
Career games: 109 (30 for Adelaide, 79 for Western Bulldogs)
Individual honours:

• Showdown Medal (round 8, 2019)
  • Brad Johnson Best Team Player Award (2021)
I reckon it’s an individual honour to have played in a Grand Final. I called him ‘sketchy’ with ball in hand but quite reliable to get it. Well done and a good career Sir Alex.

Great pick up who turned himself into a key position defender, having been recruited as an interceptor.

Where does that leave us with open list spots now?
OUT: O'Driscoll, Bedendo, Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Clarke, Keath, Rypstra (rookie)
IN: Kennedy

Our list balance is currently 31 main list + 5 Cat A rookies (Duryea, Baker, Bramble, Poulter, McNeil) + 1 Cat B rookie (O'Donnell). The list rules are 36-38 main list, 4-6 Cat A rookies (to a combined 42 players), and 0-2 Cat B rookies.

Based on that, we have a total of 6 main/Cat A rookie spots to fill, which can come from 5-6 main list + 0-1 Cat A rookies - assuming no rookie upgrades have occured. We also have an available Cat B rookie position open. There is no specific requirement for any of our rookies to be upgraded as none are passing the 3 year mark this season.

Didn’t realise what a weak draft 2022 was, puts Clarke into perspective a bit. In hindsight Joe Richards was probably the choice at the Clarke pick but would have been a huge reach at the time
It does kind of suck that Richards would be pretty hand for us now, and the other player people here (including myself) were VERY keen on was Lachie Cowan, who would also be more than handy, but Clarke's junior numbers were good enough for us to take the pick in a position of need, that's for sure.

C'est la vie.

It does kind of suck that Richards would be pretty hand for us now, and the other player people here (including myself) were VERY keen on was Lachie Cowan, who would also be more than handy, but Clarke's junior numbers were good enough for us to take the pick in a position of need, that's for sure.

C'est la vie.

Cowan wasn't my preference because we already have a Bailey Dale and he'd said he wants to play for Tasmania when he can, but he's shown more at AFL than Clarke ended up doing.

Cowan wasn't my preference because we already have a Bailey Dale and he'd said he wants to play for Tasmania when he can, but he's shown more at AFL than Clarke ended up doing.

I was really happy with Clarke for us at the time. I thought he showed a lot at U18 level. Taught me a bit of a lesson about only comparing players to their draft cohort.

I really liked Cowan too and took him at about 25 in our mock draft that year.

OUT: O'Driscoll, Bedendo, Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Clarke, Keath, Rypstra (rookie)
IN: Kennedy

Our list balance is currently 31 main list + 5 Cat A rookies (Duryea, Baker, Bramble, Poulter, McNeil) + 1 Cat B rookie (O'Donnell). The list rules are 36-38 main list, 4-6 Cat A rookies (to a combined 42 players), and 0-2 Cat B rookies.

Based on that, we have a total of 6 main/Cat A rookie spots to fill, which can come from 5-6 main list + 0-1 Cat A rookies - assuming no rookie upgrades have occured. We also have an available Cat B rookie position open. There is no specific requirement for any of our rookies to be upgraded as none are passing the 3 year mark this season.
Maybe McNeil goes up to main list with his new contract?

Would like to have the four 4 ND picks we have and then 2 rookies.

Tom Clurey delisted by Port with a year left on his deal. Think we'll do the same with Gardner in a years time.

6 List spots. Don't count Ryp because he was a replacement for AOD.

Can go 5 draftees 1 rookie, 4 draftees 1 DFA 1rookie, 5 draftees 1 DFA, 4 draftees 2 DFA.

I expect it's the 2nd option.

Last edited:
Great appreciation for Keath and his one facial expression.

View attachment 2148743
As someone once said, he looks like an angry Phys Ed teacher 😀

Has anyone got the clip of that goal when he ran the length of the ground, then Naughty poked him in the eye? 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Clurey delisted by Port with a year left on his deal. Think we'll do the same with Gardner in a years time.
Whoever manages Gardiner should just tell any potential clients he got Ryan Gardiner a 3 year deal. Unbelievable how that happened.

Keath was a start in 2021. Was a big part of us making a GF.

Do we need to look at a depth ruck option in case english goes down?
Lobb is looking like a key cog in defence..
Think the same.

If English goes down I don't think we want either Darcy or Lobb to have to assume the no. 1 role.

Would prefer Darcy to play no more than chop put minutes in the ruck given his value up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back