Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardner finished 7th in our best and fairest in 2022, basically the only year on our list that he was fit throughout the year.

I think we can question his ability to stay fit, both in terms of staying on the park but also as an athletic player who provides value largely out of being an athlete more than a skilled footballer, that a bit of drop off of prime athletic fitness inhibits him as a player, but overall, this idea that he isn't a solid AFL list quality player, or that if his contract wasn't so long we wouldn't be looking to offer him a new contract anyway (we would have) is a bit strange to me. His 2022 season is his runs on the board. It's a far more proven productive contribution at AFL level and far more recent than many other players beloved by many here that have never shown that output.

IF he can get himself fit, he will probably get an offer from another team….

He is basic depth and can play AFL, so won’t be worth more than a future third (or similar).

IF he can get himself fit, he will probably get an offer from another team….

He is basic depth and can play AFL, so won’t be worth more than a future third (or similar).
I think we should demand at least 1 first round pick as he would still be in contract!!

I get the criticism re. Gardy's contract length at the time.
Brisbane just won a flag with Ryan Lester who was in no man's land before last year. You need to have guys that can step up on your list.

Ducks for cover

I can see four and maybe five staying

Baker 80% - his VFL stats were very good (overlooked by many on here) and he would consistently get a game for a fringe finals team in the AFL. We just bat deep in his position. He'll probably get more games in 2025 than in 2024 without Macrae and Daniel
Duryea 30% - while unlikely if his 2025 form is the same as 2024 that's still good enough to be listed for the following year.
Scott 20%
JJ 5%
Cleary 20%
Vandermeer 90%. He was a cemented member of our best 22 in 2024. Even if he is injured for the whole of 2025 or his form drops off and he's dropped from the best 22, his 2024 consistent selection should merit a contract for 2026 in a hope that he can reclaim his 2024 contributions for 2026 - and that's even a worst case scenario.
Poulter 50% - has talent, it's a mental game for him
Coffield 35%. If his body holds up he's clearly an AFL list capable player. On his body and not his form
A.Jones 55%

Adds up to 430%.
What position is Baker? I thought he was supposed to be a winger and that it probably our thinnest position?
On Duryea, given his leadership and professionalism, I would rather have him on the list for one year too many than go early on him. Even if he played a majority of VFL games in 2026 that could be of gerat benefit to the club

I get the criticism re. Gardy's contract length at the time.
Brisbane just won a flag with Ryan Lester who was in no man's land before last year. You need to have guys that can step up on your list.

Ducks for cover
Lester has played 200+ games, he's not a star but you can't mention Gardner in the same breath as him.

What position is Baker? I thought he was supposed to be a winger and that it probably our thinnest position?
On Duryea, given his leadership and professionalism, I would rather have him on the list for one year too many than go early on him. Even if he played a majority of VFL games in 2026 that could be of gerat benefit to the club
More to mean that we have about five or six options on the wing that are placed somewhere between "league average" and "fringe talent". Other might have one or two gun wingers, but their fourth or fifth winger option is so weak you wouldn't even call them a fringe talent - they're a worse player than Baker or Poulter.

We're thin in the sense that our best winger (Williams) is probably weaker than the best given winger of the other 17 teams and probably only as good as those 17 and the other 17 players who start on the opposite wing for those teams on average. But the drop-off in quality to our third, fourth, fifth, sixth option in those positions isn't as stark as other teams'. Baker might be a weak third option at other clubs (as he was at Melbourne), but at least he'd be a third option there, not a fifth with us or whatever.

More to mean that we have about five or six options on the wing that are placed somewhere between "league average" and "fringe talent". Other might have one or two gun wingers, but their fourth or fifth winger option is so weak you wouldn't even call them a fringe talent - they're a worse player than Baker or Poulter.

We're thin in the sense that our best winger (Williams) is probably weaker than the best given winger of the other 17 teams and probably only as good as those 17 and the other 17 players who start on the opposite wing for those teams on average. But the drop-off in quality to our third, fourth, fifth, sixth option in those positions isn't as stark as other teams'. Baker might be a weak third option at other clubs (as he was at Melbourne), but at least he'd be a third option there, not a fifth with us or whatever.
Baker is not even close to AFL standard solid 2s player at best and wouldn't get a game even at Richmond

Will be a mini clear out next year following OOC can oly see 2-3 staying:

Baker
Duryea
Scott
JJ
Cleary
Vandermeer
Poulter
Coffield
A.Jones

Agree and if they are staying I would go from the bottom up although Baker may get another contract as a depth player but surely Cleary, Scott, Duryea, JJ are in their last year, the others are role / depth only

Although I Would love to see Jones cement a place in the side, he showed a bit late this season and is just now getting fit and strong enough for AFL.

Agree and if they are staying I would go from the bottom up although Baker may get another contract as a depth player but surely Cleary, Scott, Duryea, JJ are in their last year, the others are role / depth only

Although I Would love to see Jones cement a place in the side, he showed a bit late this season and is just now getting fit and strong enough for AFL.
Top 5 go for me Duryea/JJ retire Baker/Scot late 20s and not good enough Cleary unless he magically kicks on too many years on the list with nothing,

VDM will be fine Poulter iffy but showed signs this year Jones looks like he could finally lift this year and Coffield will be entirely on his body

If you could get Brayden Crossley fitter he would be a great relief for Tim English. He is only about 25?? Could our fitness fella that was at the giants work with him enough to get him ready?
Was he that huge (heavy) unit that smashed us in the VFL final this year?

Was he that huge (heavy) unit that smashed us in the VFL final this year?

Yep

Spent a couple of years at Gold Coast (think he was from their academy). Got delisted at 19 for being a naughty boy

Has been racking up massive numbers and kg’s in the VFL since

Poulter, Arty, Coff all to stay on 1-2 year deals.

Baker will depend on his output in the 1s this year, can see him getting a couple of games through injury off half back, he played well there last year in the VFL and gives us cover in an area we’re quite thin.

I’m backing Arty to have a more impactful year at AFL level, could really add some spark to our forward line and has shown promise up the ground.

As much as we don’t like him, VDM will also stay, no issues with him being on the list as depth but shouldn’t be a best 22 lock.

JJ/Duryea to retire as great servants to the club and wouldn’t be shocked to see Libba follow suit.

Scott and Clizzard are easy delists in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

Spent a couple of years at Gold Coast (think he was from their academy). Got delisted at 19 for being a naughty boy

skin game archer GIF

Last edited:
Yep

I'm pretty sure he played a very good game against us when he was a Gold Coast player. Always had talent.

I'm pretty sure he played a very good game against us when he was a Gold Coast player. Always had talent.

Played his debut against us in Ballarat. Played really well

Had about 20 friends and family going crazy all game not far from where we were sitting

Yep

By all accounts it’s not the only thing he likes racking up

Scott and Clizzard are easy delists in my opinion.
Scott’s a useful player but has had a worrying number of concussions. Continuity has been a problem for him and any more head injuries will spell the end 😢

Scott’s a useful player but has had a worrying number of concussions. Continuity has been a problem for him and any more head injuries will spell the end 😢
Yep. Was probably our second best wing in 2023 and could play anywhere. Ruined by injury & concussion.

I am sure we are looking at a DFA Curtis Taylor Brandon Parfitt Granger Barass 3 I would look at thoughts?.

It was his best year but I’m not convinced it was that good. Towards the end of the year he had started taking intercept marks which was an important improvement. He was still never a type you’d give more than a one or two year deal, that he essentially got a four year deal was bewildering.

Not sure you can read too much into coming 7th in the B+F, it’s voted by the only guys in football that thought he was good. Think Lachie Plowman had two consecutive top 3 finishes in B+F’s and then was delisted a year after. Doesn’t mean he was ever good.
Hey… Go easy, Lachie helped us (Marby Park) to win this years premiership!

I am sure we are looking at a DFA Curtis Taylor Brandon Parfitt Granger Barass 3 I would look at thoughts?.

None of them.

Granger Barass is a failed key position player that we don't need.
Parfitt I don't rate, what would he add to our side?
Taylor is another wingman discard and we already have 2 of those on the list in Baker and Poulter who aren't getting games currently. I don't think he's quick enough for us anyway.

None of them.

Granger Barass is a failed key position player that we don't need.
Parfitt I don't rate, what would he add to our side?
Taylor is another wingman discard and we already have 2 of those on the list in Baker and Poulter who aren't getting games currently. I don't think he's quick enough for us anyway.
As I said before would rather take the 4 picks in the ND and 2 in the RD than take any of the dfas this year. The draft is deep, take advantage of it especially when the next one doesn't look a good one early on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back